Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just developed a front end clunk that is driving me nuts.
No sway bar so its not that...checked all steering components and suspension bolts- all good.
What I can tell its the axles banging the outer hubs as it is allowed to slide in the CV's.
It appears the inner boots have stretched so much from age and use I guess that the axles are sitting when static right up against the hubs on the outside and banging through stutter bumps...mostly in 2wd because the axles are loose with no drive stress. Outer boots look collapsed...I guess just from gravity...inners stretched.

Anyone else have this happen? Going to try and reset the axle boots with new clamps but probably have to replace the inner boots ???

What say you?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone know if there is a retainer c-clip on the axle to prevent the axle from overtravelling?
The boot kit includes 2 C-clips...maybe I broke the outers...seems strange it would be both left and rt.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took one apart...everything is really good on the outer CV and axle...It appears the inner boot is just stretched from age and allowing the axle to sag outward to where it is nearly bumping up against the stub hub causing the banging noise.
If I change the boots, it will probably happen again in 4 years ...maybe get new A/M axles....These axles are too long and the boots are also...too much play IMO. These axles only need 1/2 inch or so since they are on A Arms.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ordered new A/M hd axles...pretty cheap on Amazon.
Determined these gen 1 axles are just too long...the outer edge of the axle will bang the stub before the inner retainer clip bottoms out stopping it on the CV. There really is no need for the retainer clip on the outer cv portion of the axle so I decided to cut them off at the clip groove- about 1/4 inch and reset the boots so the axle is held up and inwards slightly...These will be my backups then since everything else looks good. The boots will hold them together.

Too long of an axle and too much play not required for an A-arm setup where the plunge isnt necessary except for a little movement on the cvs...maybe a half inch...not the 1+ inch currently there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts