Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I have missed the discussion, but has anyone figured out why the front upper coil springs are set up completely compressed?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Because thats the way they are suppose to be. Jack the frontend up off the ground and they should open alittle . They just keep tension on the main spring while at full droop. And if you think something is wrong about them why dont you call Walker Evans and tell them they are building shocks wrong?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The way that AC has set-up the front shocks may work but their not getting the full benefit of having a dual rate springs!!! Mine will be coming out day one and new spring package installed...that's strickly my opinion.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Are they being advertised as a dual rate spring on the front? It shouldnt be because that small upper spring isnt a working spring. A new spring package will work nice, you doing the rear too or just adjusting the spring weight?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Are they being advertised as a dual rate spring on the front? It shouldnt be because that small upper spring isnt a working spring. A new spring package will work nice, you doing the rear too or just adjusting the spring weight?
The rear are set-up right, allowing the dual rate's to work, as far as the front, if you get a chance, look at the amount of thread showing on the shock body above the preload collar, there's about 6" of thread showing.That's 6" of available spring not being used. My understanding is that the upper spring ( sometimes called a tender)sets the ride height and handles the small bumps etc and that the main spring (lower) takes over for the big bumps and hard hits. These two springs work together until the slider hit's the crossover ring and then the primary spring does all the work.
Seems that AC has gotten this arrangement to work...and good for them, I do know it has many people scratching their heads however.

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I, by no means, am I a shock expert. Hell, I'm barely a shock novice. WildOffroad, I'm with you on this. Blown, not so much. By definition, by having 2 springs on the same shock, it is a "dual-rate" shock. As Blown kindly pointed out, a helper spring is a flat-wound spring, but it is doing "work". It looks like AC has a tender spring playing the role of a helper spring. I think this is what has a lot of people confused, including myself. The second photo is just showing a triple-rate shock( the helper spring gives it this classification even though some would say it is not doing any "work"). The third photo shows the front shock setup from one of the earliest Wildcat photos. The fourth photo shows current setup. As WildOffroad pointed out, it looks like we lost a lot of adjustability with the current setup. I hope the current setup is what AC found to be the best setup and not a cheaper alternative to the best setup.

(I wish they would have kept the green springs, me likey)

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
The second photo is a dual rate setup, I only see 2 springs there not 3. Walker Evans builds those shocks, not Arctic Cat. The spring setup on the wildcat isnt anything new, its been around since 07 on the polaris outlaw irs machines made by ride fx and by fox for example. If you think these shock manufacturers arent doing it right why dont you call them and tell them. 888-933-7223 is the # to Walker Evans. BTW, switching to a true dual rate front(2 big springs) should be very easy since there is a bunch of space and threads left on the shock body.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never said anybody was building anything wrong, just that I don't understand why they did away with their original setup. I should have put up this photo that shows the helper spring above the tender spring. And yes, they do consider it a triple rate shock due to the helper spring. This is a good read: Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well, I'm going to let all of you, with knowledge about this subject, figure it out! When all of you guys do, I am more than sure that you will all post the findings......hurry up, will ya !!!!!!! :bigeyes2: :rant:

·
Registered
508 Posts
:moon:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am sure I will be perfectly happy will the setup that is shipping out, I just think it is odd that AC drastically changed up the front spring package. This picture appears to show a much beefier spring on the top of the front shock. Does anyone with a cat in possession feel like the front end is under sprung?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Its unsprung because he cuutting hard and that side is lifting up and the ground is lower on that side

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Its works good. Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire All-terrain vehicle

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
I did find a picture of what you was talking about Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
I am curious on why they r different. Anybody know.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Probably cost.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Surely a stiffer spring would not cost no more than a weaker one

1 - 20 of 35 Posts