Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace all bushings, bearings & ball joints in my 16 trail & was wondering is it worth it to get the upgraded super atv ball joints? There kinda pricey compared to the oem

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have an X, but when I was getting ready to do this my research led me to believe that stock ball joints maintained and replaced as needed was the best way to go. Less breakage and better articulation with the factory joints.
New bolts torqued with blue locktite is very important. I have been using the stick locktite and really like how easy it is to use. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Getting ready to replace all bushings, bearings & ball joints in my 16 trail & was wondering is it worth it to get the upgraded super atv ball joints? There kinda pricey compared to the oem
I bought OE bolts from Rocky Mountian and they came with locktite already on them. I would replace those when you replace the ball joint. I was surprised at how quickly they wore out.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I bought OE bolts from Rocky Mountian and they came with locktite already on them. I would replace those when you replace the ball joint. I was surprised at how quickly they wore out.
Which bolts are we talking about that wear out?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Which bolts are we talking about that wear out?
The pinch bolts. I have had them fail 2 ways. Either the threads eventually flatten or strip on the bolt since its softer than the knuckle or the shoulder gets worn enough that the ball joint stud can move up and down in the mating part on the knuckle. Either of these failures are grounds to replace the bolt since they can cause catastrophic failure of the suspension. At around $2.00/bolt it would be dumb to not to.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always replace every bolt when ever I take something apart on these machines

·
Registered
393 Posts
I always replace every bolt when ever I take something apart on these machines
lol iwould need to buy stock in mcmaster carr if i did that.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I had one ball joint that felt a little rough. Took it apart (easy to do) and found a burr on the ball causing the roughness. I filed that down and it was much smoother. Also, I use a needle greaser to shoot grease in the boot as well. I do this with my annual bearing grease job I do.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up buying the oem ball joints along with garage products bushings for a arms & shocks hopefully it quiets the front end down, been using Aj’s bushings & on average I’m changing them about every thousand miles or so, I’ll try the garage products stuff & see how it goes with there bushings, I started this whole rebuild because one of my bearings is shot & after 4500 miles I just decided to be pro active & just rebuild it all & be done with it, replacing axels also with rhino axels

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
If your going with the Garage Products bushings, which I also have, consider taking the time to install grease zerks at all the suspension points.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts