Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
just get angle iron thats what alot of us did since we don't have a breaker to bend...looks nice

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys . I was gonna use angle but I wanted that round edge . Probably the ideal material would be the actual anglethough.

·
Registered
631 Posts
How did the A arms get bent?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The paint is the neon green spray paint from orileys. The original a arms got bent when my step son drove in to a 4' hidden washout at ten mph. 29.5 tires stickout as far as the front bumper so the absorbed a direct backward shock which coz the back bar on the lower arm to collapse.

·
Registered
631 Posts
It must be 50/50???? I hear about people bending A arms by hitting large holes or washed out roads which makes sense but then I hear its happened by just regular duneing. But then you have the people that say they hit whoops at 70mph and launch their car 5ft in the air and theirs are fine....Im buying an X in the next couple months and not sure if I should pull off the arms and weld angle iron to them right away or not

·
Registered
42 Posts
It must be 50/50???? I hear about people bending A arms by hitting large holes or washed out roads which makes sense but then I hear its happened by just regular duneing. But then you have the people that say they hit whoops at 70mph and launch their car 5ft in the air and theirs are fine....Im buying an X in the next couple months and not sure if I should pull off the arms and weld angle iron to them right away or not
I just took my WCX4 for the second time total (first time at the dunes) and I bent my drivers side lower A-arm. I was doing whoops at about 60 and I did get the limo in the air a few times, but I came down hard once on the front end and I'm certain that's what did it. But every other jump it handled awesome, it was like landing on a cloud honestly. And that was with my wife and 2 kids aboard too. I guess I can chalk it up to inexperience and being over confident/too comfortable, etc.

IMG_0830.JPG IMG_0831.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Hey if you're not driving it like you stoled it, what fun is it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have bent a total of 3 a arms and I have since welded angle iron from Home Depot and this has solved the problem 100%. I have 3 trips at Glamis and a arms are perfect. I highly recommend every cat owner do this.
Since I'm new to this, I'm not sure what "angle iron" is, but it sounds like a great fix/solution. However, I was also told that if things like the A-arms are too stiff and don't give, that the frame can actually take the damage instead. Has anyone ever experienced this? I guess it would depend on how hard you hit because the frame could get damaged anyways.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I bought angle Iron and took it to my local metal shop. He laughed at me about the angle iron and said to return them $10. He welded on 3/4 in chromoly tubing which is stronger and lighter then iron and guarantee me it won't bend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts