Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what to do now Just discovered that the passenger side of the front sway bar and the front sway bar link both broke causing damage to the front drive actuator area which has caused a gear oil leak around the actuator. I updated the front sway bar to the 2019 version a couple of years ago. Can't see any damage to the actuator and it still works. There is an impact gouge in the cast casing forward of the actuator but it's not deep enough to cause the leak. The actuator still works to engage/disengage the front drive. I think this will need to be addressed by a service man. Actuator pic is after I wiped the gear oil off, Any recommendations for XX service in Southern NM?
Gouge.jpg
Front Sway bar and linl.jpg
Actuator.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Before taking it to a dealer, I would make sure all of the actuator screws are tight, clean the area thoroughly (pressure washer or a liberal application of brake cleaner), then drive it for 20 or 30 minutes and re-examine for additional gear oil leaks.

The sway bar breaking is unusual, not just for an XX for for any vehicle. The only time I've seen one snap like that was after heating it via a torch or welding something to it, then not sending it out for heat treatment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think the link broke before the sway bar and the resulting action of the suspension up and down verses the sway bar movement from the drivers side to the passenger side caused the broken link end of the sway bar to lodge against the actuator casing and maybe even the actuator to bind up and break. I just received new sway bar bushings because I'd examined the front end just before Christmas and there was some slop in the passenger side bushing but everything else looked fine. I've been out twice since then but no harsh treatment of the rig. I already replaced the gear oil and buttoned it up to see how long it takes for the leak to show up again. Wait and see. Also examining the link break it appears that it cracked some time ago, possibly even being defective from the factory. Look at the dark discoloration inside the break on it. It appears to have been cracked for some time internally before failing. At least that's what it looks like to me. I can't believe I didn't notice anything until I saw the oil under the front end on the trailer.

·
Registered
2018 XX with Speed 77” kit tuned by ST. Speedwerx Extreminator motor/clutch.Simpson seats & belts
135 Posts
Wow,that’s a bummer and impressive that the bar snapped like that. I’ve noticed a little play on my front sway bar (passenger side) and thought maybe it was the the mounts that hold the sway bar to the frame,but they were pretty snug. Maybe need to swap in some new bushings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow,that’s a bummer and impressive that the bar snapped like that. I’ve noticed a little play on my front sway bar (passenger side) and thought maybe it was the the mounts that hold the sway bar to the frame,but they were pretty snug. Maybe need to swap in some new bushings.
My XX is a 2018 and the front sway bar was way more stout than the 2019 and following. It used to make loud popping noises when going over uneven terrain. They came out with a smaller diameter replacement bar which is the same as 2019 and with new bushing to fit it solved the popping. That was a couple of years ago. The bushings do wear out and cause play. In fact I had just gotten new bushings a couple of days before the bar snapped but hadn't installed them yet.

·
Registered
2018 XX with Speed 77” kit tuned by ST. Speedwerx Extreminator motor/clutch.Simpson seats & belts
135 Posts
Did you swap over to the 2019 newer sway bar? Does anyone run without a sway bar?

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
Several people run with one disconnected full time (nearly everyone will disconnect the bars when doing serious rock-crawling). Disconnecting just one end will mess with the handling balance, so running balls-out into the first quick corner is NOT recommended.

I'm fairly aggressive when conditions allow. My XX is so well balanced I cannot fathom running with either bar disconnected.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Several people run with one disconnected full time (nearly everyone will disconnect the bars when doing serious rock-crawling). Disconnecting just one end will mess with the handling balance, so running balls-out into the first quick corner is NOT recommended.

I'm fairly aggressive when conditions allow. My XX is so well balanced I cannot fathom running with either bar disconnected.
Thanks,is there a aftermarket torsion style sway bar out there?

·
Registered
642 Posts
First thing I do with a new machine is remove the front sway bar. But we never ride fast. More technical trails, mud, climbs, ruts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you swap over to the 2019 newer sway bar? Does anyone run without a sway bar?
I did upgrade to the 2019 sway bar when it first came out. That's the bar that snapped. I've run without the front bar before and I'm going to again at least for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts