Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015X 4, When I jacked it up and put it on stands I checked the play in both front tires. Moving the top of the tire back and forth, from inside to out side they move about a 1/4". Is that normal play or are the bearings wearing?

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Not normal. It could be wheel bearings, but it could also be ball joints or control arm bushings. Or a combination!

With that amount of movement, it should be easy to figure out what is worn out. When I am trying to diagnose smaller amounts of play, I will put a finger across the two parts that should be firmly joined, then wiggle them. You can feel play that isn't easily seen.

I have a '15 X Ltd. The first parts to wear out after I bought it (I have no knowledge of previous repairs, so take my experience with a big grain of salt) were the control arm bushings. The ball joints had a little play in them, so I replaced them in the spirit of preventative maintenance. My wheel bearings are still tight.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the ball joints, you are correct. That is where the play is. Is there a you tube showing how to replace them?

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
I didn't look for a how-to write up or a video. There might be one out there.

The only trick to replacing the ball joints is that OEM or the equivalent will fit a little loose in the control arms and, per the service manual, must be installed with green (retaining) Loctite. I had Permatex primer on hand (Permatex now owns Loctite), so I did primer and green. (The FSM is available to download from the Country Cat website.)

You will probably have to drive the old ball joints out of the control arms because of the Loctite bond. I don't recall any details from when I did this, so it must have been pretty straightforward.

PS - Before you buy your ball joints, find the recent thread by RSX. He took the time to compare a few different ball joints.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Snap ring pliers. Pop them out. Then....Green lock tite and done. Not that bad to do.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
^^ What they said most can be done without removing the a arm if they are tight you can use a ball joint press on them, Lube your wheel bearing while it's down..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for every bodies help. I have been busy finding out all the issues and watching YouTube. (1) get OEM ball joints. (2) while it is down replace the bushings.
Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I checked the ball joints, you are correct. That is where the play is. Is there a you tube showing how to replace them?
\
I rebuilt my 2016 front end at 9K miles. Only right sided needed ball joints. Both sides needed sleeves and bushing for the A arms. The left rear needed help in the A arms bushings and sleeves. Interestingly the right side was tight!

Denny

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
\
I rebuilt my 2016 front end at 9K miles. Only right sided needed ball joints. Both sides needed sleeves and bushing for the A arms. The left rear needed help in the A arms bushings and sleeves. Interestingly the right side was tight!

Denny
Thats amazing at 9k what kind of terrain are you riding in?

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Also, where is the left rear A-arm on an X?? (Or 4X)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mostly Arizona hills/mountains with a good dose of rocks. Machine takes a beating out there compared to our Wisconsin summer running. Each winter in Arizona (6 months) I average 2k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Mostly Arizona hills/mountains with a good dose of rocks. Machine takes a beating out there compared to our Wisconsin summer running. Each winter in Arizona (6 months) I average 2k miles.
i grew up in Wisconsin...... Antigo / pelican lake area. Good riding there.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
i grew up in Wisconsin...... Antigo / pelican lake area. Good riding there.
Ahh great! I grew up in Eland area, not live in Wittenberg. Bought my Wildcat from Vern's in Antigo. Worked most of my years out of Antigo with phone company. Now live 6 mo. Wisconsin, and other half in Arizona.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts