Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure why (because we all know racing is expensive) but I am having a really hard time coming to terms with coughing up $3,800 for a Speed/Pyrotect Fuel cell. I was looking at some of the different brands, and am talking to Jim Harmon with Harmon Racing Cells.

I can try and make something work in stock location (custom fab still would be cheaper than the SpeedSxS cell) and would come with a FIA certification.

Other option I am considering, loosing the stock "bed" (black pan the spare would ride in). Then using one of the production Harmon Racing "tapered end" cells that is 40" wide (would fit between where the c pillars tie into the rear frame section). This would put it just behind the oil tank, bottom would be 14", top would be 7" and it would be 14" tall. Would have to do some good shielding, then could run the filler to the small gap between the B&C pillars just behind the seat (with appropriate shielding). Cell would cost me about $1600 and hold 22 gallons. Hard part for me is getting over the fear of having the fuel cell mounted directly over the engine/header. From there would extend the rear of the frame out so that it could still hold a 32" spare (could build a custom mount for the spare so it sat at a slight angle (part of the cell would be under it).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
180 Posts
My initial thought is that you are moving weight to the rear? 22 gallons is something like 130 pounds, plus the tank weight. So lets say 200 pounds total. If you discount the weight of a passenger, the current tank position appears to be pretty neutral. A rear tank will shape the handling.

That being said, this $3800 price is steep. Hopefully someone here knows of a better option.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
25lbs empty, 166lbs full. While it does move the weight back, it is still forward of the axle, I think where more negative would be felt would be the higher COG.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yes. I think the biggest issue would be the center of gravity being so much higher. Along with it moving to the rear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that Colton is doing the bed tank. At some point I am going to have the same dilemia, I was also concerned about the location, but I do not know if it is any worse than sitting on top of 20 gallons of fuel. I have considered fabbing my own underseat tank, but i believe that the real cost would be in having the bladder made. In regards to having the weight high and in the back. What kind of racing are you going to do? In desert racing I believ the weight could be managed by respringing and valve work. In short course I dont think the higher weight would be great.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I wouldn't want to spend 3k, but I would probably buy the speed tank. I like the location better. I wish manufacturers would release two versions of their performance UTV's, where one is a race version. I hate the idea of removing perfectly good parts that just cost me time and money.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
My own take on stuff like this is heavily influenced by my roadracing background - I'm always looking for efficiency. You can mask a higher COG to a degree, but the vehicle with the lower COG will always be better to drive if everything else is even close to equal. There is no way to "manage" physics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that Colton is doing the bed tank. At some point I am going to have the same dilemia, I was also concerned about the location, but I do not know if it is any worse than sitting on top of 20 gallons of fuel. I have considered fabbing my own underseat tank, but i believe that the real cost would be in having the bladder made. In regards to having the weight high and in the back. What kind of racing are you going to do? In desert racing I believ the weight could be managed by respringing and valve work. In short course I dont think the higher weight would be great.
I wouldn't recommend a fuel cell in the bed of these cars to anyone. Yes you can revalve and spring for it. But where do you set that up? at half tank of fuel? Because you're going to give and take somewhere. Valve/Spring heavy for full fuel.....when you're light on fuel you will be stiff and springy. Valve the other direction, and you can't drive hard early in a race because you'll drive the back of the car into the ground.

The Speed cell may be the only option, but is hands down the best option for a fuel cell. If one can fab, they can probably modify one of the Can Am cells and have a bladder modified by the supplier accordingly as well. I personally would like the fuel cell go over the driveshaft and sit under both occupants. But that will require much more fab for seat mounts, rear located radiator, etc... But if I were to build a race XX chassis from scratch, I would go that route.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Check with Harmon Racing. They seem pretty reasonable, and in previous conversation someone had sent him a CAD drawing and he made a cell that fit under the passenger seat (Im assuming similar to the Speed cell). Not sure if its in bad taste to ask to see the CAD file or dimensions to see what the fitment would be like...

Im at the point now I need to make a decision on a cell pretty soon... Been putting it off....

Did you mean Kolton Hustead? I pinged him about it, hes is running a Speed fuel cell, he had done a in bed cell, his response was "It sucked".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts