Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any fab guys out there. It would be nice to have some aluminum to cover the gas tank on the passager side . The tire could kick a rock or stick up and could put a hole in it.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I would imagine that thing is extra thick, and possibly double walled. Thats what I would do if I mounted it there. Odds are you are not looking at the external walls of that tank. I highly doubt a rock or stick is going to be able to do much of anything to it, it is probably capable of supporting the weight of the vehicle and then some.

:cool:

·
Registered
686 Posts
you would do more damage WITH a aluminum cover over that tank, than letting it ride like it is.

the 89-95 toyota pickups has a metal shield over the front of the gas tank to keep rocks from the front tires hitting the front of the tank. over time, mud and rocks would get between the tank and shield, and the rocks vibrating back and forth works small pin holes in the tank. (metal tank) so if you had a cover over this plastic tank, and got rocks between the tank and cover, i would suspect that in a month or two of riding, the rocks could easily rub a hole thru the plastic. cat plastic tanks are super thick, these tanks are right at 1/4" wall thickness. a stick poking thru the tank would be hard to manage because everything slides right off the plastic. giving a shield around it, that would allow rocks to build up between the shield and plastic tank, in my eyes, would be worse off than letting it run wide open. just a thought.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was think about something like the heat shield that is on the other side.

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you would do more damage with a aluminum cover over that tank, than letting it ride like it is.

The 89-95 toyota pickups has a metal shield over the front of the gas tank to keep rocks from the front tires hitting the front of the tank. Over time, mud and rocks would get between the tank and shield, and the rocks vibrating back and forth works small pin holes in the tank. (metal tank) so if you had a cover over this plastic tank, and got rocks between the tank and cover, i would suspect that in a month or two of riding, the rocks could easily rub a hole thru the plastic. Cat plastic tanks are super thick, these tanks are right at 1/4" wall thickness. A stick poking thru the tank would be hard to manage because everything slides right off the plastic. Giving a shield around it, that would allow rocks to build up between the shield and plastic tank, in my eyes, would be worse off than letting it run wide open. Just a thought.
you don't have to put it had close and can leave most of the bottom and the ends open

1 - 7 of 7 Posts