Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know how the gauge/display panel is held in place? Poking my head under there with a flashlight, it looks like magic holding it there, but I figure that's somewhat unlikely...
I'm considering moving it, but can't easily see what holds that sucker in place :)
Wondering if it can be moved without taking the whole dash apart?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Its just pushed in the hole and held there with the rubber bezel.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I have also considered moving mine, but haven't even looked at it yet. Not sure where you want to move it to but the wiring may not reach, first thing I will check before attempting to move mine. If you are good at wiring I suppose the harness could be extended, oem connectors could be difficult to source for an extension harness. Mine will eventually go where it should be, in front of the driver. Never understood why the centre of the dash was a good choice, more models are now coming with what I would call a proper location(can-am and General for example). Here is a teaser of where I am headed with mine, this is an AC pod that will require extensive trimming and may not even work, but it will be my first attempt.

Vehicle Car Car seat Subcompact car Family car

Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire Auto part

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
huh.... looks like it IS magic lol.
too easy. I'll give it a shot, post some pics when its in place.
Mechanic, it looks like there's plenty of wire in there to me, just might have to un-tape / break open some of the wrapped bundle to move it over.
That's exactly where I was thinking though.
I have a 3-D printer, so I've been trying to design something myself that fits.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yeah, it pops out easy. Just have to reach up from the passenger side and push it out. Then you can disconnect the connector. There's not much slack there without untaping the bundle, just enough to disconnect. There are at least 7 wires to splice unless the EPS models have more wires.

Mechanic, have you looked at the Cat XR ATV pods? It uses the same style gauge. $100 worth of plastic, and if it would work you could relocate the ignition (more splicing) and add another 12v outlet.

Line art Automotive lighting Auto part Design Automotive window part

Reactions: de3

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
"Mechanic, have you looked at the Cat XR ATV pods? It uses the same style gauge. $100 worth of plastic, and if it would work you could relocate the ignition (more splicing) and add another 12v outlet." Quote

I never looked at the XR myself, the pod I went with came Matte Black to match my machine. I really didn't care about the gauge directly swapping over to the new pod (but the pod looks to directly accept the gauge for the Z1 engine...) as I will make an aluminum plate for it as well as a plate for the old location in the dash. I guess I like to do things the hard way.... Lol. My pod was about $75 CND and I liked it because it's relatively small(a lot smaller when trimmed-if it works)and the detail on top kinda matches the centre of the dash. There is not a lot of room on the top of the dash and I don't want it large and bulky. Making your own with a 3D printer is awesome and a sign of the times, I am old school but I can still do pretty nice work with my caveman tools. I think the main point of this post is the idea of moving the gauge, how you do it and what you use will make it unique to you. For those that go first, take lot's of pics and share, if enough of us do it AC might decide that's what we all want and move the gauge on future models. I you want to wait you could use those parts, but I am not waiting.....

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, that was just so easy, I got excited to get it done. Had to strip back / pull apart the wiring harness/wrap some, to reach, but there was lots of wire there once unbundled about 6 inches ( just had to re-tape the exposed wires again). Cut a hole above the steering wheel shaft with a dremmel tool (that was a hard thing to do... start hacking into the dash of my brand new machine! ). Then used VHB tape (automotive stuff for door mouldings, trim and badges) to hold it all together. Its a little cold here for that to bond well, so I'm not sure it will hold well enough - I'll post later to follow up on that.
Here's the pics. I'm still a little "unsure" on the conical shape - but it does fit really well, even drops down over the front lip so it looks like its "resting" right on the steering column bezel. I'd be happy to post the actual 3D file, if I can do that, if anyone wants to print or modify it. Motor vehicle Windshield Vehicle door Glass Vehicle Steering part Vehicle Steering wheel Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part Auto part Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Nicely done !! Nothing wrong with your design. You inspired me to start on mine today, way too many hours trimming my pod but it is done. I looked at the wiring and it looks easy enough once the harness is opened up, it will reach just fine. I will finish it off tomorrow and post some pic's of mine. What are your plans for the old speedo location?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't think I could stand to have that gauge there on night rides. At least not without some window tint to dim it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are your plans for the old speedo location?
well, nobody told me there'd be a big damn hole in my dash when I moved it! lol ;) just kiddin.
I use an iPad mini / Garmin Glo for my GPS - which I've been duct-taping over the glove box. Other riders have commented this doesn't look very professional ;)
So I intend to make a mount and put the iPad right over that spot - should fit very nicely. I was even considering getting an Otterbox and screwing right to the dash, but I think I can come up with something better..

and cr724 - thats a darn good point! I haven't really ridden at night, but I have to think that thing is pretty bright in the dark, even over to the side? No dimmer on it? Maybe I will make some kind of stick-on sunglass/lens for it ... though I don't know if will do any night riding... And opinions are welcome, negative and positive! That's how great ideas are born :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts