Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post.

So far, I've rode 3 50" trails with my Wildcat Trail in Michigan (Frederic, Leetsville, & Kalkaska). There a certain spots I have to get out and winch or cum-along my machine to get through a spot. Usually involves 2 trees 50 inches apart, and the ground being angled going between the the trees, and sometimes a curve. This all makes the roll cage not clear the tree on low side. The terrible turning radius doesn't help.

Perhaps it's my technique. Going faster would help, but the consequence of hitting the tree with the roll cage isn't enticing to me. Taking off the roll cage seems like a stupid idea.

I made some planks to take with me yesterday, but it's pain to get out and set them up. And the unwillingness to do that every time, doesn't help.

I'm willing to spend some money to get around this. My 2 thoughts are 1) a narrower after market roll cage. 2) shocks that can be adjusted from inside the cab to raise lower the machine independently on each side.

Suggestions welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
CHAINSAW, lol . Sounds like your just going through a tight spot in the trail system. That’s just part of wheelin.

Reactions: boonedog and mtgott

·
Registered
699 Posts
Talk to the organization responsible for maintaining those trails. They will probably be willing to to address the issues.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Considering the Trail has the narrowest, shortest, & tightest roll cage of any SxS manufacturer, NO other SxS would make it thru at all.
If you really need to go there take a couple 3' 4x4s & just let the machine run up on them on the low side.
OR
a chain saw (y)

·
Registered
405 Posts
MI trails are notorious for being narrow even for 50 inch machines. any way you can bypass the spots, i know your not supposed to go off trail, but thats preferable to damaging my machine or the trees i guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My first post.

So far, I've rode 3 50" trails with my Wildcat Trail in Michigan (Frederic, Leetsville, & Kalkaska). There a certain spots I have to get out and winch or cum-along my machine to get through a spot. Usually involves 2 trees 50 inches apart, and the ground being angled going between the the trees, and sometimes a curve. This all makes the roll cage not clear the tree on low side. The terrible turning radius doesn't help.

Perhaps it's my technique. Going faster would help, but the consequence of hitting the tree with the roll cage isn't enticing to me. Taking off the roll cage seems like a stupid idea.

I made some planks to take with me yesterday, but it's pain to get out and set them up. And the unwillingness to do that every time, doesn't help.

I'm willing to spend some money to get around this. My 2 thoughts are 1) a narrower after market roll cage. 2) shocks that can be adjusted from inside the cab to raise lower the machine independently on each side.

Suggestions welcome.
I ran into the same thing this past Saturday. Attempted to ride on the 50" "Little O Trail". The problem was embanked turns with a tree on the inside. Once in a while its manageable to get through these, but when we ran into 7 of these spots in the first 10 turns it was ridiculous. Ended up turning around and riding the "Little Manistee ORV Route".
This is a bummer because the reason I bought a trail was to allow the use of Michigan 50" Trails!

·
Registered
63 Posts
You guys in the states have some weird rules and trails lol. Spots not wide enough, no off trail use, size restrictions etc. We go where we want and how we want. Tree in the way its coming down for sure. Spending lots of money to solve what 50 cents in mix gas will solve in 30 seconds, thats ludacris

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
You guys in the states have some weird rules and trails lol. Spots not wide enough, no off trail use, size restrictions etc. We go where we want and how we want. Tree in the way its coming down for sure. Spending lots of money to solve what 50 cents in mix gas will solve in 30 seconds, thats ludacris

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Where are you from?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's my two cents...

I get the 50-inch thing but they really need to set the posts at least 55 " that way it keeps out the 60 inch machines (which I'm guessing is their goal)

A buddy of mine without even thinking about it put on new tires, it ended up measuring out at 52" and he couldn't pass through a local gate......

·
Registered
234 Posts
i used to live in otsego county. my wife used to lived in leetsville

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first post.

Suggestions welcome.
The trail doesn't have a great turning circle, but it is better in 2wd.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Here's my two cents...

I get the 50-inch thing but they really need to set the posts at least 55 " that way it keeps out the 60 inch machines (which I'm guessing is their goal)

A buddy of mine without even thinking about it put on new tires, it ended up measuring out at 52" and he couldn't pass through a local gate......

Pick up on the front of the machine then have him pull forward then do the same in the back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts