Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from my fabricator where we discussed making a frame for a glass windshield.

Having had several of the "collector" type that collect only dust, I decided having a real windshield was the way to go. Riding in the dust or rain it's nice to be able to see.

My question is: Who in Wildcat land would like a glass windshield? If there's enough interest, and the price is right, maybe we can all benefit from making up more than one at a time.

I'll keep you posted on how this project develops.

Gumball

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I assume you are talking laminate safety glass. Seen them for the Rhino.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Hey Gum...if it all works out, I just may be interested....keep us posted on the progress, please!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Tempered safety glass would be sooooo much cooler. If anyone gets one out of tempered safety glass please promise to run a cam on the back looking forward at all times and be sure to follow lots of other SxS's and ATV's through gravely type areas. I wanna see this footage!

:D

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
GLASS ? LOL. Why not MR-10 lexan. They used it on the NASCAR. You can buy a sheet 4x8 for around $350. I made some that folds down on my RZR-S and CAN-AM COMMANDER X.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

Of course I'm talking tempered safety glass. After giving up on the poly-carbonate, Lexan, never mar scratch chip or peel plastics, I put a tinted glass windshield in my RZR s. What a difference. Seems I'm in the dust in southern AZ or the rain in northern AZ. I could run a windshield wiper without the scratching.

If you plan on racing with a windshield that's another story. I run a clear plastic bra on the front of my car and that would be something to think about. Putting that over the front of the windshield should stop rocks, sticks, and low flying birds.

Further news as it develops!

Gumball

·
Registered
11,034 Posts
mr- 10 lexan is hard to scratch. Very clear and can bend it . You can cut it out with a jig-saw.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
mr- 10 lexan is hard to scratch. Very clear and can bend it . You can cut it out with a jig-saw.
MR10 is awesome stuff for what we do!

I had a couple lexan half windshields on my RZR that got more and more scratched every trip. Just cleaning the stock windshield would give it a haze from the tiny scratches over time. After trying a couple different materials, I discovered MR10 and it still looks new after a year of abuse. The stuff is amazing!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like the glass windshield is out for me. Not because it's glass, because of the cost of
making the frame plus the cost of the glass.

Several members have mentioned MR10 Lexan. I would appreciate getting some good feedback on
how scratch resistant it really is. Where I ride in the White Mountains the windshield is frequently
covered with mud. With my glass windshield I could use a windshield wiper without scratching. If
that's the case with MR10 I'll go with that.

If you guys will PM me with a telephone number I'll give you a call.

Thanks in advance.

Gumball

·
Registered
945 Posts
The windshield on my Prowler, what ever the hell it is made out of, was to be non scratch-able, ect, ect, ect.....but it wound up getting all of these tiny micro cracks in it, which was the reason I to was interested in one made of glass, Gumball. So any info on the MR10 will be appreciated.

Gum, there is a fab shop in West Virginia that does glass windows for UTV's....if you still have am interest, I'll check him out to see if he would do some for the WC.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Foxfire,

If the price is right I would prefer a glass windshield. The run them on the prerun trucks for the Baja
with no problems so they should work OK for us. Please let me know what you find.

Thanks

Gumball

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ryfab in Logan, Utah makes them for all of the other UTV's they fold down and have a nice frame. I jumped with the one on my RZR more than 1,000 times without issue. I also know of another that rolled in Moab with no problem. They can be folded down and are secure. Only downfall I see with this style of windshield is weight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ryfab in Logan, Utah makes them for all of the other UTV's they fold down and have a nice frame. I jumped with the one on my RZR more than 1,000 times without issue. I also know of another that rolled in Moab with no problem. They can be folded down and are secure. Only downfall I see with this style of windshield is weight.
Do you know what they get for them?

Happy

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I would be interested in the Ryan glass windsheild if they would make one.....I just seen one on a 800s it was a solid built unit

·
Registered
45 Posts
Interest here for Sport

1 - 18 of 18 Posts