Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read many complaints about the glovebox coming open all the time. Well mine was too and it was irritating as hell. Everything inside gets dumped quickly on the floor.

BUT

What I finally found is that if you close the glovebox "normally" it seems to be closed, but guess what it isn't and it WILL pop open on any sort of jarring bump. After you think it is closed press on it a little harder, you will hear an audible CLICK and it will truly be latched. Once I figured this out it NEVER came open on me again and I hit some serious rough terrain really hard and fast for hours. I went into it several times after that and each time when I closed it I made sure to press it hard enough to get that click. It was good to go each and every time.

Just a tip.

:)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have read many complaints about the glovebox coming open all the time. Well mine was too and it was irritating as hell. Everything inside gets dumped quickly on the floor.

BUT

What I finally found is that if you close the glovebox "normally" it seems to be closed, but guess what it isn't and it WILL pop open on any sort of jarring bump. After you think it is closed press on it a little harder, you will hear an audible CLICK and it will truly be latched. Once I figured this out it NEVER came open on me again and I hit some serious rough terrain really hard and fast for hours. I went into it several times after that and each time when I closed it I made sure to press it hard enough to get that click. It was good to go each and every time.

Just a tip.

That hasn't been my experience at all. Even if I press on the latch and it clicks, then lock it, the plastic is so flexible that the door latch comes loose from the plastic catch sticking down from the roof of the glove box.

My glove box may be looser fitting than most, who knows. But mine popped open probably 20 times, and it "clicked" shut before every time.

I ended up buying magnetic cupboard door catches and screwing them into the sides of the glove box. I epoxied the metal plate onto the inside of the door and adjusted the magnets so the grab the door within a 1/4" of closing. Between the 2 magnetic catches and the center latch, it should stay closed now, haven't tested it yet.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mine came open again and again too, and it is very loose fitting and sloppy. I really thought I was closing it but there is a louder click when pressed harder.

Maybe it won't work on all of them but it worked on mine. It went from worthless to dependable by making sure to press hard enough to get that louder click and I never locked it, saw no need, but I could I suppose.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would of thunked that could be caught quickly in testing. Maybe the victim of a last minute cost saving change. But sounds like an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'm with tex if you make sure you hear the click it will not come open.....

Maybe for some people, but not for everyone. Sorry I didn't do a video of it popping open, but about 50 witnesses saw it come open on Olds and all of my reg. paperwork went flying out about 1/3 of the way up! LOL

A nice couple in an XP went over and picked it all up for me!

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well all I can say is just try it, I rode for hours in rough terrain and it kept coming open and I kept closing it again and again thinking I had it closed but I did not, once I discovered I was not using enough force to secure it properly the problem went away.

I would have sworn that I closed it the way I should have but I would have been wrong.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Well all I can say is just try it, I rode for hours in rough terrain and it kept coming open and I kept closing it again and again thinking I had it closed but I did not, once I discovered I was not using enough force to secure it properly the problem went away.

I would have sworn that I closed it the way I should have but I would have been wrong.

I understand what you're saying. I pushed inward and upward on the latch and heard a CLICK. I tried pulling the door open, and it would not open. Then a couple of minutes later, the door would drop down slightly and fly open again. Even locking it made no difference, it flew open at least 20 times.

There is too much slop in my door, it does not stay latched. I think if anyone puts anything with any real weight in there, it will pull on the glove box hard enough that others will experience the same thing.

This happened most noticeably in the whoops in Glamis, which even in the WC, I hit them hard enough to give a pretty rough ride. As smooth as the WC is, some of the whoops are still deeper.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I understand what you're saying. I pushed inward and upward on the latch and heard a CLICK. I tried pulling the door open, and it would not open. Then a couple of minutes later, the door would drop down slightly and fly open again. Even locking it made no difference, it flew open at least 20 times.

There is too much slop in my door, it does not stay latched. I think if anyone puts anything with any real weight in there, it will pull on the glove box hard enough that others will experience the same thing.

This happened most noticeably in the whoops in Glamis, which even in the WC, I hit them hard enough to give a pretty rough ride. As smooth as the WC is, some of the whoops are still deeper.
Are you sure you heard it CLICK? Are you pushing it in hard enough? You should push it harder and listen for the CLICK. If you hear a sharp SNAP, you pushed too hard. Order a new glovebox and repeat the above steps.............

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can joke but I am telling you if you close it like a "normal" glovebox you will think it is closed properly and it will not be. When you get one you will see.

·
Registered
21 Posts

BUT

Just a tip.

Thats exactly what I figured out too! After the audible click it is truly shut and wont pop open.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine has not opened on me - The "tracks" that the little tabs ride in on the bottom of the door are a little odd - It takes a little wiggling to get the glove box to shut nicely.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am not kidding mine popped open after I heard it click too. Well today I was sitting in my Wildcat waiting to be picked up due to a pinched tire I started messing with the glove box. It clicks when you close it but it still isn't latched. Mine only latches after I push in on the center of the door (on the cat logo) until I here a second click. You just have to push hard enough to flex the door slightly.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I always push it in just right.

That's what she said.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not kidding mine popped open after I heard it click too. Well today I was sitting in my Wildcat waiting to be picked up due to a pinched tire I started messing with the glove box. It clicks when you close it but it still isn't latched. Mine only latches after I push in on the center of the door (on the cat logo) until I here a second click. You just have to push hard enough to flex the door slightly.
I didn't try the center of the door that may work too on mine I was pressing the center or the latch itself, it takes not powerful but definitely deliberate force. CLICK. If you just close it like you would expect in a car glovebox it seems closed and you can't even wiggle it open, but it isn't truly closed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts