Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I'd like to get your opinion on whether it is necessary to grease the edge of the intake filter after cleaning and oiling it before replacing it, so that the grease acts as a sealant. I am very diligent in cleaning the intake filter and replacing it after a short number of rides. We have very dusty conditions here in the summer.

Is greasing the edge the recommended practice?
Thanks for reading and thanks for your advice.

Everyone - stay safe and healthy!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
...i would say NO- if the airfilter is oiled and sits correct...it has som. like rubberlips that seals rel. good- a prefilter is a different story....
on the otherside want harm if you grease- and you feel better;-)

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I’ve greased the sealing lips on air filters when riding in dusty conditions for years with no problems.

Reactions: Yoshka

·
Registered
730 Posts
I do it every time. I grease it and give it a little turn as well then pull slightly to make sure I have a good seal.

As for riding in dusty conditions, I have about 4 extra pre-filters for each machine. I have found that as long as I keep the pre-filters clean, the main filter requires a lot less maintenance.

Reactions: dspete05 and Yoshka

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do it every time. I grease it and give it a little turn as well then pull slightly to make sure I have a good seal.

As for riding in dusty conditions, I have about 4 extra pre-filters for each machine. I have found that as long as I keep the pre-filters clean, the main filter requires a lot less maintenance.
Wired, thanks! Yes I also have an extra pre filter. And I agree, the main filter definitely stays cleaner by keeping the pre filter clean.

·
Premium Member
7,658 Posts
yoshka...you can always click on the thumbs up "like" at the bottom of their response...gives everyone a warm all over feeling...haaaaa...

·
Registered
730 Posts
One other thing... oil your pre-filter just like your main. Not sure if you're doing this, but I know some people don't. It doesn't catch much if it's not oiled.

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts

This is excellent advice and exactly what I do too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts