Wildcat Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pics would be great Cal. Appreciate the information.
Hi Brew... it appears we don’t live that far apart from one another feel free to give me a call I can get you what pictures you would like to see.( 530) seven eight one 3747 also I have some proto type air deflectors here I made from laminate they worked well so I built the plexiglass ones if you want them to try I would be more than happy to give them to you.
I was determined to cure the heat issue and may have went a bit overboard ( it kinda went to being a obsession ) I have material as in sheets of live rubber and stuff. This machine has is great quality’s and it is worth monkeying around with it to smooth over the rough spots ( ie heat) I would be delighted to help you if I can.
Cal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Cal. I'm going to Marysvale, UT for a couple weeks for the Paiute Jamboree. I'll be talking to the people I bought the XX from. I'll call you when I get back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Lowflyer,

When you refer to 'live rubber' what exactly is the material and where did you source it?
Besides the fasteners visible in the pict, did you use any 'tack' to hold it in place?

·
Registered
97 Posts
That looks great. I might just have to add those also. I pretty much only drive this thing in the spring, fall and some winter due to the heat these put off. Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Havasurunner, sorry I did not see this post until just now. The live rubber sheets I am talking about are actually rubber blankets used in the power line industry. ( I spent 35 years as a lineman) if theses are left on the power line all night we had to toss them so there were these laying around and needed to be tested or thrown away so I had a few of them in my shop. So if you know a lineman just ask him if there are any available to you. This may take a few days to get them but that is what I used.
I used automotive type push pins to hold it in place mostly so I could remove it if necessary I got them at auto zone as I recall
I hope this answers your questions let me know if I can help any further.
Cal

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
It looked like Valmeida does not run a windshield, in which case the vents he added are probably doing a really nice job of extracting air from under the hood. The vents might not be as effective with a windshield, as the base of the windshield is a pretty high pressure area.

I have some bright orange yarn that I would tether in any area where I wanted to see where the air was going on my race car. String some fishing line across the area, tie some yarn bits to the fishing line, point the GoPro at the yarn and run some laps. Sometimes the results were surprising.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went this route to reduce heat in the cab, under $20 for the vents on eBay, had some Plasti dip in Anthracite color up in the cabinet so gave um a quick coat, even though not an exact match I think it looks better than the gloss black they came in.
A note for those considering this option, and if I had it to do over again I would of installed them about 3 inches further forward. Doing this would pick up one more louver in front of the divider behind the radiator and in doing so may extract more heat. Also had to modify the bracket holding the brake fluid reservoir to sit lower and not hit the vents, another reason to mount them closer to the front. And last, make sure you leave enough room to clear the coolant resovoure.
Also added some material around the steering column to block heat.
Haven’t tried it yet, will report back as to it’s efficacy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
We took our first ride last weekend, and even in mild weather there is a ton of heat (full windshield, roof and rear window). I will probably do all of the things to seal the gaps around the gauge display and the slot around the steering column, but I also spent some time trying to diagnose how the air gets past the OEM heat shielding.

Has anyone tried to seal the mouth of the tunnel? I'm suspicious that this might be how a great deal of the air gets to the backside of the dash. The volume of air coming into the cab through the dash seems to be a lot greater than what would leak through the OEM heat shields.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
my one rig I have a half windshield, solid roof and no back window, gets warm. now the other rig I have a half windshield, full window in back and speed sxs roof, a lot cooler..I plan on making some scoops for the roof of the solid one..the down fall of scoops is if it rains, you better have something to cover the holes..

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought about blocking the front of the tunnel....then I thought twice. I believe it's best to let any possible airflow thru the tunnel, then seal the cabin from the tunnel.
Overthinking?🤔

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
If the engine and clutch didn't have air inlets outside the bodywork (i.e. if they were like the X), I would agree with you about allowing air to flow through the tunnel. On the XX, I don't think airflow through there is important.

The tunnel doesn't have a roof at the forward end, so any air that flows into the start of it is also free to flow up to the area behind the dash and then into the cabin through all of the various openings. Or at least that is my theory. I'm going to try to close it off.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I was picking up some hitch parts at Harbor Freight and noticed that they were closing out their cheap foam sheet anti-fatigue mats. $5. The foam has enough structure to it span large gaps without additional support, flexible enough to conform and easily sliced with a razor blade or trimmed with normal scissors. Duct tape seems to stick to it reasonably well. We'll see how it holds up!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts