Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I installed a front and rear windshield to go along with the roof in my XX. Well now I know what the inside of an Easy Bake oven feels like, it was 32 degrees C out side to top things off. The rear window also gave the inside of the cab a dust tornado effect so I removed it immediately and it will stay off till the fall of the year.
I took it for another ride and still found the heat a bit much with the windshield in, so I began to look at the cause and began to try and rectify the situation. First I used a kneeling pad for gardening work, which worked pretty good and looked reasonable too! A bit of trimming and cutting was necessary. IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0774.JPG I used 3M Command strips to hold the lower portion to the dash.
Next I used weather stripping to seal the top of the speedo pod. IMG_0775.JPG IMG_0776.JPG IMG_0777.JPG
I once again went for a ride and noticed a big difference but there was still a small amount of heat coming in, remember that there is a full non opening windshield installed. Today I plan on using foil tape for sealing ducts to cover the gap behind the rad where the plastic shroud meets the steel frame and possibly using R 12 insulation behind the speedo pod if necessary.
In my case I will need to remove some of my fixes for the cold season to warm up the cab, but while it is currently hot here the cab heat with the windshield is a bit much! :drive:

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Nice work! Was going to get at this, however, I was out riding yesterday and felt fall in the air.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
What gaser did helps out a lot also. I did it the poor mans way for now, black duct tape around the steering column. Looks like I’ll be taking it off this weekend down in the black hills. Cool mornings this time of year.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What gaser did helps out a lot also. I did it the poor mans way for now, black duct tape around the steering column. Looks like I’ll be taking it off this weekend down in the black hills. Cool mornings this time of year.
Don't know many poor men with 2 xx's ND but if U say so! Bahaaaaa! A kneeling pad for the garden costs less than a roll of premium duct tape and is less messy.:pokey:

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The finished pad looks pretty cool, too! Nice work f7.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Let's be honest. You knew all about Easy Bake Ovens when you were 5 years old. Didn't ya?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Don't know many poor men with 2 xx's ND but if U say so! Bahaaaaa! A kneeling pad for the garden costs less than a roll of premium duct tape and is less messy.:pokey:
But the duct tape is “free” from the shop. I could take my wife’s kneeling pad I guess. I have done some other experimenting on on of the rigs. I feel if I can get rid of the heat in between the radiator wall and the dash first it could solve the problem. I’ve added a couple vents/scoops up in the front wheel wells. And relieve some of the pressure in the cab also might help. But, winter is about here and I’ll need that heat to stay warm.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have front half windshield, metal roof, full poly back window. All factory, and NO dust problems. Only heat I notice is coming from steering column. I’m gonna do like most n use rubber or something to cover it. Now the heat n dust comes bad from behind seats on open area for harnesses. I used a big pool noodle, not the smaller diameter ones. Cheap, green, from Walmart. Two bucks. I cut it to length for both sides and it fits tight for good seal. Works good for me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a rear window and half windshield. The heat is uncomfortable at 90 degrees outside. I folded a towel and stuffed it under and around the steering console at full flip up then flipped it down to hold the towel. It works pretty good but not perfect. It is also good to remove it when it cools down at night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I finally got tired of sweating every time I drove it. I tried everything to block the heat coming in everywhere from the radiator. So I am moving the radiator to the back. It is not as hard as you would think, but it is more than just a bolt on project since no one makes a kit. I bought a 91-94 Jeep grand Cherokee radiator (12" x 36") with 3 fans already mounted on it for $169.00 on ebay (new), roll bar clamp on mounts for $24.00 for four. 2 1/2" angle iron aluminum, a few rubber grommets, SS bolts and nuts. You have all the tube you need and rubber hose from removing the front radiator, but you can buy more if you want new and clean parts. I wired two fans into the preexisting fan circuits and the center third fan is on a manual switch. No more heat of any kind coming in the front. I also mounted a winch and built a tool box where the radiator was. It works! You lose the rear view mirror. But side mirrors works fine. I have done this before on rock crawlers, UTV's which we raced and a prerunner. It's nothing new. I think when Robby Gordon designed this he did not take into consideration passenger comfort. There is no front firewall to block the heat. The entire dash use to heat up every time we drove it. That heats up all the wiring, the digital dash, switches, etc.. That can't be good long term.

·
Registered
614 Posts
All good ideas. The trimmed knee pad looks nice f7.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I put pipe insulation around the hard coolant lines that run through the tunnel and put thermal barrier wrap lining the center console like gaser and it solved my heat issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to see some pictures too. I have to move my radiator to the back. Yesterday I went on a 71/2 hour ride, it was over 90 here in AZ. It was smokin hot in the cab even though I had my dash area stuffed with insulation. A couple of times my leg touched the center tunnel and it burned me. Any help from anybody would be appreciated. I plan on moving the stock radiator to the rear of the cage permanently.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I put pipe insulation around the hard coolant lines that run through the tunnel and put thermal barrier wrap lining the center console like gaser and it solved my heat issues.
Did you use the cheapo stuff from Home Depot? Or did you get the better stuff from a hot rod outlet?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Did you use the cheapo stuff from Home Depot? Or did you get the better stuff from a hot rod outlet?
It was stuff from home depot. Felt more like kinda a neoprene material. Havent had any issues with it. Just used zip ties to hold them on every 6 inches or so.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts