Wildcat Forum banner

Will you wear a helmet in your Wildcat?

• I don't care what people think I'd rather not crack my skull open.

Votes: 43 76.8%
  • Helmets are only a requirement for races.

Votes: 13 23.2%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that no one wears helmets in Rhino's and most don't in RZR's. Being that this thing will go so fast and it is so smooth at high speeds will you be wearing a helmet when driving/riding in the Wildcat?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might I add that this is my first SxS and my only offroad experience thus far is about 5 years on a quad.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I have never worn a helmet in a side by side. That probably wont change with the Wildcat. I do wear a helmet on anything without a rollcage. But I will stick with harnesses and my rock hard head as protection in the Wildcat..........

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you guys had ANY idea how many split melons we haul off of the Paiute Trail system you would wear a helmet.
You are fooling yourself if you think you can't hurt your head in these vehicles.
The real truth is that your head can reach solid objects even if you think you are strapped in and not going very fast.

Personally I owe it to my family and myself to survive my addiction to this sport and not end up a drooling idiot just because of a
bad bump in the road.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It can be that brief test drive around the campsite that takes you out. Or it could be the other guy you have no control over. These things aren't made to survive crashes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I always wear helmets, doesn't matter what I'm riding. Years ago after delivering one of my buddies to the local hospital, with what turned out to be a broken pelvis, I asked the attending nurse if she got tired seeing bashed up dirt bike riders. She said that, by far, the most common injury she saw was bashed up dune buggy drivers who didn't wear helmets. Mostly relatively minor head injuries caused by hitting their head on cage bars. Usually involving stitches. Oh yeah, this was at Little Sahara, OK! Lesson learned!

Dwight

·
Registered
686 Posts
hey jackasses. i normally dont get into the "who wears helmets" threads cause i never have except for racing. just recreational rides, and tuning clutches rides where i always thought i was in control i never wore a helmet. when racing dirtbikes or my ATV in GNCC circuits i would wear helmets but not when just goofing off. then last september, on a saturday afternoon, i was moving bikes in and out of the shop to get to another project. while backing up a yamaha grizzly out of the shop, the right front tie-rod came looseso i stabbed the brakes and the rears locked up. the abrubt stop in reverse threw me off balance cause i was only side-straddling the seat. i slipped off the seat that the owner covered in armor-all and fell on the ground. literally at 4mph. i bumped my head, just a little bump barely felt it so no big deal. i have had ex girlfriends hit me harder than the bump i took. i pushed the bike back in the shop and started working on it and fixed the tie-rod. about two hours later i started feeling dizzy, and vomiting. went to the hospital with a brain bleed. seriously no marks on me, not even a raised bump on the head. the blood trickling thru my brain, made its way into my spinal column where chemical meningitis set in, nearly paralyzing me. i was as stiff as a block of concrete for 4 days. 2 spinal taps later, and alot of medicine and 2 weeks in the hospital and i finally got to go home under my own power. his put me out of work for a month, and i had headaches and dizzy spells that linger to this day.

now i wear one of these, halfskull helmet with a flip-up visor. the visor flips up into the helmet out of the way.

GMax GM55 Graphics Half Helmets - Extreme Supply

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey Adam it sounds like you need to wear it while you are working, all kidding aside we all think it will not happen to us, just someone else. It is not how hard your head is, it is the bounce that hurts the brain. Often the injury to the brain is on the the other side of the head to the impact spot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The majority of us are getting the Wildcat, because of the we want to drive the wheels off it, right? Fast trail runs, big whoops, roller coaster dune rides, and crazy technical trails/hills. The chance of you thumping your head on the cage, tree branch or rock to the head, or even just the ground in a roll over is not a chance I want to take. I will have Helmets with the PCI helmet kits. It's nice to listen to tunes, and be able to talk to your passenger, as well as others in your group.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It all comes down to how much is your dam head worth. How much do you like doing what you do. Just put a bucket on and go like hell. and you can go like hell another day.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It all comes down to how much is your dam head worth. How much do you like doing what you do. Just put a bucket on and go like hell. and you can go like hell another day.
I agree 100%

·
Registered
218 Posts
I wear one all the time. I cant afford to loose any more brain cells. Besides that when people get hert not wearing them insurance rates go up and riding spots get sued from insurance companys resulting in closed riding areas.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey Adam it sounds like you need to wear it while you are working, all kidding aside we all think it will not happen to us, just someone else. It is not how hard your head is, it is the bounce that hurts the brain. Often the injury to the brain is on the the other side of the head to the impact spot.
Coup contrecoup was coined by French medical researchers back in the 1700's.

Coup contrecoup injury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
186 Posts
in Feb 2011 a RZR Forum member died in a roll over right next to his camp.
No helmet and no belts.

Please wear belts/harnesses and helmets at all times.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I really dont care if people dont wear their helmets as long as they dont make my health insurance premiums go up when they crack open their noggin and go to the doctor. Just something about the thought of eating through a straw, drooling out the side of my mouth, crappin and pissin in my pants and having someone care for me 24/7 that encourages me to put on a lid. Guess others dont think that way.:cool:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts