Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search and the discussion on this are about 5 years old. I have an old helmet from when I bought my arctic cat atv 8 or so years ago. It may have been a snowmobile helmet though and it tends to be hot. I also forgot to pull my goggles when I stored it 4 years ago and the strap is shot, so in the market for a new helmet and or goggles. I will be riding in Montana spring through fall and possibly in AZ in the winter. What are you using and what would you buy if you could. Willing to spend up to 400-500 if I have to. Should I find one with Bluetooth, integrated speakers and microphone? Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
My former hobby was sports car road-racing. Once a decade, someone would ask why they need a Snell certified helmet, and the powers-that-be would regurgitate the basics of helmet certification. A DOT certified helmet means little more than it is a round object that your head goes in. I'm exaggerating a little, but not all that much. Snell certification means the helmet design has actually been tested, and delivers a certain level of protection. You don't need the "latest" cert (2015, and a new standard is due shortly). A Snell 2010 is still a very, very good helmet, and they aren't all that much more expensive.

The big difference between an MA (motorcycle) and SA (road racing) helmet is the Snell SA helmet will have a flame proof interior.

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Buy one that fits well.

Reactions: Ron380 and boonedog

·
Administrator
27,733 Posts
If you have too? It's your head, and the last line of defense. Trying not to sound harsh, but it is what it is. If you're riding / driving most of the day, I would recommend two things as Sak Kitty mentioned get one that fits. All (using a size here, L) won't fit the same, so you should try a few different manufacturers. Second is most people complain about the weight, and their neck hurts after a day of riding. Get the lightest helmet you can afford. I use a Troy Lee Designs SE4 carbon fiber helmet. It's very light, just 2 1/2 pounds. It's also expensive, $650 unless you catch a sale. TLD also make composite helmets that are a little heavier, and cheaper, $450. Get Rugged Radio's intercom and helmet speakers and you can listen to music and talk to your passenger. Helmets should also be changed out within 5 years, or after a bad crash. Fit is important, weight is important. Good luck.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I used to have motorcycles (street), and after years of headaches finally figured out I have a "Long-Oval" head shape. The main problem was I could wear one for 45-50 minutes with no real problems, so just "trying one on" didn't help much. After 55 minutes or more I had a screaming headache and a red spot on my forehead. Finally found a helmet the right size and shape and it's WONDERFUL! It's a full-face with a lot of vents that can be closed and opened, and the clear visor has multiple "stops" in it so I can open it as-needed.
Maybe a bit much for my SxS, but I've caught a lot of dirt clods and rocks with the front of it that I'm very happy didn't smack me in the face!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I wear a Scorpion AT-950. The modular makes it a little heavier, but I love the flip up chin bar. I do have to blow out the latch mechanism with air though after dusty rides (I'm usually in the back).

·
Registered
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information. I will try and go into a couple dealers in town and see if I can find one I like. I see the scorpion modular design is a nice idea. My last one was the normal MX style with goggles and was a Arctic Cat helmet. I will look for proper ratings. I am an engineer and have spent 3 years in the safety side of that program I get ratings. Some are great some are a sticker and no more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts