Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Im trying to install the sld delete and for the life of me I can't get the axles out! They just pop out with a gentle pull on my quads but not these.... I looked for a thread and found the "sld delete" thread and it looks like from txchristophers pics that they were left on. Is this how I have to do it? Any suggestions from those who have accomplished this (sld delete) would be greatly appreciated. thanks :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
You need to take them out, push in on the collar and they should pull out. Sometimes you need to be aggressive, they can be difficult to remove due to dirt, debris, rust, etc.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
ScreenShot05080.jpg What Schultz said...Axles stay in...just tip the snout of the diff back and up so you can get the end cap off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the help! I did it the hard way I guess and took the diff completely out. (Didn't see the reply in time) It was tough getting the snap ring off to install the delete.....in fact, I couldn't get it back on the same way it came off. I'm not sure what you call those washers.."compression washers"? anyways the concave washers that were opposed to each other against the sld that the snap ring holds. So i ended up facing them both the same direction to give me some space to get the snap ring back on. And it still was hard to get it to seat. I haven't installed the diff back in the machine yet so if I've really screwed up can you let me know? It didn't really seem to me like it needed all that pressure anymore since the delete is solid.... I'm not a mechanic so that sums up my knowledge on spike load dampeners.......Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
View attachment 7910 What Schultz said...Axles stay in...just tip the snout of the diff back and up so you can get the end cap off.
How do you get the little drive shaft out of the way without pulling the diff out? Does it just slip out if you take the clamps off the little boots?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you using a vise to compress the springs, before re-installing the snap ring? Tex had a pretty good idea using a pair of hex-bolts in this thread http://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/wildcat-performance-modifications/3183-sld-install.html and here http://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/wildcat-general-discussion/2502-sld-delete.html

You really don't want to put that thing back together wrong. I see all kinds of bad shit happening.
Thanks Schultz,

Yes I did read both threads before I started and used TX's idea with the bolts to remove the snap ring. My problem is my vise is not big enough, and I was bending handles trying to get it back on. I'm going to disassemble it again and take it to a machine shop and get them to put it on for me. Shouldn't cost much I hope. Thanks again for your input! :)

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
How do you get the little drive shaft out of the way without pulling the diff out? Does it just slip out if you take the clamps off the little boots?
You take out the little plate at the back of the frame...this allows you to slide the diff back about an inch .... the little drive shaft is now just sitting on the shaft of the motor or the diff...you just slide it off the splines.

Yes, you gotta take off a couple radius rods to get at the removable plate.

Being a "thrifty" guy I simply ground grooves at 6:00 and 12:00 down thru the plates and laid in a little weld. Had to use a dremel to clean up the weld good enough to get the pack back into the drum...works fine now.

ScreenShot05082.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well.....

Didn't end up taking it to a machine shop. Just found a bigger vice. Maybe I shouldn't have found a bigger vice......

Now this is starting to try my patience.... :(
IMG_2881.JPG IMG_2882.JPG

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
My vice wasn't very good either. Part of my vice broke off. I left out a spacer or washer or something, it was still very tight and no movement. I haven't had any issues with it.

I dunno why this is showing at the top. Is the forum look at jacked up to anyone or is it my damn computer?

Now its at the bottom WTF

·
Registered
300 Posts
OK so even with the delete the whole inner assembly could still hop theeth in the housing am I right about this because this is what seems like is happening to mine wouldnt it be better to weld the inner and outer together or have somebody maching the whole thing like a spool

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
The delete is a permanent fix. It will not slip in the drum. So far welding it also seems to work. I didn't think welding it would fix it cause it slips in the drum. I haven't put a lot of thought into it but maybe as the clutches slip only some of them slip in the drum as some slip like they should. I am thinking about getting my cousin involved and see if he can figure it out. Being an engineer he already knows everything so it shouldn't be a problem for him. Although he didn't know enough to clean all the crud out of his master cylinder on his dirt bike when he rebuilt it. One port was totally clogged. I was like uh dude where is the second port lol. It didn't lock the front wheel anymore after I cleared the port and he cleaned it like he should have the first time. That must have been a first fun ride lol. Sorry for rambling which ever you choose seems to work

·
Registered
300 Posts
If that is the case then the delete would just slip in the housing also it seems I welded mine up will see how it works maybe if it slips this way i don't see how the delete will fix it i might just weld it solid as one unit

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
The delete fits good in the housing. It doesn't have any seperations in it like the clutches. I dunno if you have seen it or not. The only way the delete it going to slip is if it shears off the teeth and I don't see that happening. The delete is much stronger than welding it up. It has much more contact. Although it may not need to be any stronger than welding it. I have had zero problems with my delete and not seen anyone else have any. No one has said they had issue after welding either so which ever floats your boat

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I think the discs deflect in the stock setup and that allows them to skip in drum. That and they are rounded and do not fit into the drum and fill it as good as the splines of the delete which makes MUCh more contact with the drum than the discs do.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Chris and I have been running the delete for a while now and not had any problems. I am sure he would have said something if he had an issue. He seems to be one of the few people better at breaking shit than me lol. You wont have any problems with the delete

1 - 20 of 25 Posts