Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've read the sticky about known issues/fixes on these. Not new to ATV's but I am new to UTV's. I've owned the following - '07 Can-am Outlander 650, '06 Honda Recon - Currently own - '07 Kawasaki Bayou 250 and a '13 Suzuki Kingquad 750 AXI PS. The one thing I've learned is each unit has it own 'isms or issues!

I'm considering the '14 Wildcat Trail XT. So what are the strengths and weaknesses of these units (aka, "the skinny")?

Below are the issues that caught my eye from the sticky - any I missed or should ask the dealer to check before taking delivery?

Blown Oil Lines: Recall number: 14-753
Motor Mounts — Any recall or TSB?
Check your coolant line — sleave?
Re-route Fuel Lines
Fuel Tank Vent re-route
Fan Fuse — blows easily, replace (Bussmann (BP/CB211-15-RP) 15 Amp Type-I ATM Mini Circuit Breaker) from Advance Auto Parts.
Cotter pin sheared by hub castle nut — not a big deal
Loose thermostat housing bolts — tighten, service advisory.
Arctic Cat in general — heard lots of woes with CV joint failures, these common on these too?

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
Welcome Knukey. If you've read the sticky, you're ahead of the game. Depending on your dealer, whether or not they have done all the work. I would print it out, and go over each one with your dealer, with the one you want. Especially the ECU reflash.

UTV's are nothing like ATV's, so be careful. I recommend harnesses and a harness bar to all newbies. Most newbies have roll overs doing less than 5 mph. We have a great group here, any questions, just ask. Good luck.

Reactions: raynmary

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Got over a thousand miles on my 14, I addressed the items you mentioned early on, no troubles with my machine knock on wood. Go through and tighten all bolts or check after the first 100 miles. Check for any rubbing hoses or wires and dielectric grease all wireing connectors. The biggest problem with these machines is people forget to have FUN! and Enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Change all.the hose clamps, I think the motor mounts should be fine unless its an early model 14. I haven't done everything in the sticky to mine just the ones that I could see being an issue. 2500kms with no regrets. Ps watch the video I posted...don't baby mine.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Welcome to the Wildcat Forums. Suggest you give MLS Powersports in Ky a call..they deliver nationwide usually cheaper overall than what your local dealer can do and setup machine the right way from the get go. I would pass on the 14 and either go with leftover 15 or get the new 16 special edition for around 10 or 11k from MLS..>THey are well worth the call, ask for Mark and discuss what you're looking for. The 16's have some issues addressed and seem to be really good. let Mark know the forums sent ya and possibly get a nice discount from that....they are supporting vendor here. Can't hurt to ask -

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input so far. Hollywood - what ECU reflash are you referring to. Perhaps I missed it in the sticky.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
welcome. sounds like you have done your research and are ready to get a trail. dont look back man you will love it.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Thanks for the input so far. Hollywood - what ECU reflash are you referring to. Perhaps I missed it in the sticky.
You can have the dealer reflash your ECU to the 2015 specs. It makes it idle better and you can also have them update your gauge cluster. They should be able to do that before you even pick it up.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
updated the ecu to the 2015 machine specs...smoother idle/etc...as it wasn't a recall some had to pay to have their dealer do it and some dealers did it free...

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Hahaha, same time, but I beat you to it. LOL!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
my 14 is a year old. never any troubles. took my concerns to my dealer and he did all the things that needed to be done before my purchase.
enjoy your ride no matter what year you get.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
i would also consider getting the new 2016 rear passenger side firewall that has been redesigned from the 2014/2015 models for heat mitigation from the header pipe and possible melting issues...that and doin' some venting in the spark plug cover to release the heat build up from the engine compartment...

Reactions: M8000wildcat

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
Hahaha, same time, but I beat you to it. LOL!!
i'm slower due to longer duration of gravity pull over the added years on my biological clock...whew!...

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
i'm slower due to longer duration of gravity pull over the added years on my biological clock...whew!...
Yeah, that's what I thought happened. lol Wait.....biological clock?!?!?! I thought only women had those or are you just more in tune with your feminine side. LOL!!

·
Administrator
27,673 Posts
Thanks Darcy and Dean
Had something I had to do.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
It always works out when we work as a team. I hope that something was finding me some more good pictures!! wink wink LOL!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome to the Wildcat Forums. Suggest you give MLS Powersports in Ky a call..they deliver nationwide usually cheaper overall than what your local dealer can do and setup machine the right way from the get go. I would pass on the 14 and either go with leftover 15 or get the new 16 special edition for around 10 or 11k from MLS..>THey are well worth the call, ask for Mark and discuss what you're looking for. The 16's have some issues addressed and seem to be really good. let Mark know the forums sent ya and possibly get a nice discount from that....they are supporting vendor here. Can't hurt to ask -
Why would you pass on the 14? There is no real difference between the 14 and 15.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I think everything has been covered, I'll 2nd the harness and calling MLS for a deal, then enjoy the fun.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It's not the biological clock Dean, it's the miles of abuse you've but on the old body over the years, and the lack of oxygen at your altitude! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
The lack of oxygen might be what's causing him to think he has a biological clock. lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts