Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters sports is idling 1400 to 1500 making it hard to put in gear. just started all of sudden. sometimes it will idle really rough. and out of warranty.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Vacuum leak maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
As stated above check for a vacuum leak, be sure nothing is keeping the throttle from closing completely, and possibly need to clean the throttle body and idle air control

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
If your able to pull the bed off, carefully spray some carb cleaner around all possible vacuum leak points on the intake side of the motor and listen for any change in the idle. Put it in diagnostic mode and check the throttle position and make sure it is going to 0% when you let of the throttle and reads 100% when you put the foot feed to the floor. Make throttle cable adjustment if necessary. When they put the new throttle body on, did it include a idle air control valve? If not, you may have to take it off and clean it. The rough idle may be another problem, such as the spark plugs or plug wires. While you have the bed off, pull the spark plugs and check the porcelain for arc marks. If there is any question, just gap and install new plugs. If you do see marks down the side, obviously replace the plugs and also the plug boots. Apply some dielectric grease on the inside of the boot and push them down until you hear/feel a click to make sure they are fully seated onto the plugs. Check the coil end of the wires too. I don't know how many miles you have on the machine, put you could run some fuel system cleaner through it with your next tank of fuel, just to make sure the injectors are clean. Check those things and let us know and we'll go from there. The more info you can give us, the better we can narrow it down too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much
If your able to pull the bed off, carefully spray some carb cleaner around all possible vacuum leak points on the intake side of the motor and listen for any change in the idle. Put it in diagnostic mode and check the throttle position and make sure it is going to 0% when you let of the throttle and reads 100% when you put the foot feed to the floor. Make throttle cable adjustment if necessary. When they put the new throttle body on, did it include a idle air control valve? If not, you may have to take it off and clean it. The rough idle may be another problem, such as the spark plugs or plug wires. While you have the bed off, pull the spark plugs and check the porcelain for arc marks. If there is any question, just gap and install new plugs. If you do see marks down the side, obviously replace the plugs and also the plug boots. Apply some dielectric grease on the inside of the boot and push them down until you hear/feel a click to make sure they are fully seated onto the plugs. Check the coil end of the wires too. I don't know how many miles you have on the machine, put you could run some fuel system cleaner through it with your next tank of fuel, just to make sure the injectors are clean. Check those things and let us know and we'll go from there. The more info you can give us, the better we can narrow it down too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found the problem , ECM IS BAD.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
I'm glad you got it figured out and thank you for sharing your findings.

Reactions: m109r67

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing your machine is still at the dealer yet? If so, they must have diagnosed it, installed it, then test drove it? Then determined it did not fix it? If that's the case, you should not have to pay for them diagnosing it wrong or the ECM they installed. I owned my own auto repair shop for 15 years and if I screwed up and diagnosed something wrong. I ate the diagnostic time, reinstalled their old part/parts and re-diagnosed it until I figured it out and got it right. They only paid for the time it took to diagnose the right problem and the part/parts that fixed the problem. The rest I chalked up as a learning experience. I learned long ago, not every lesson is free. Enough about me, the point I was trying to make, was don't let them charge you for getting it wrong. If they are, tell them you want them to install your old ECM and your not paying them diagnostic time because they obviously got it wrong. If they are willing to get it figured out for you and not charge you for guessing, all the better for you. Keep us posted.

Reactions: Dean

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its fixed, It was a leak somewhere in the throttle body.
Sorry to hear that. I'm guessing your machine is still at the dealer yet? If so, they must have diagnosed it, installed it, then test drove it? Then determined it did not fix it? If that's the case, you should not have to pay for them diagnosing it wrong or the ECM they installed. I owned my own auto repair shop for 15 years and if I screwed up and diagnosed something wrong. I ate the diagnostic time, reinstalled their old part/parts and re-diagnosed it until I figured it out and got it right. They only paid for the time it took to diagnose the right problem and the part/parts that fixed the problem. The rest I chalked up as a learning experience. I learned long ago, not every lesson is free. Enough about me, the point I was trying to make, was don't let them charge you for getting it wrong. If they are, tell them you want them to install your old ECM and your not paying them diagnostic time because they obviously got it wrong. If they are willing to get it figured out for you and not charge you for guessing, all the better for you. Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
A vacuum leak I'm guessing? Glad they finally got it figured out for you. Did they make it right with the ECM misdiagnoses? You should have told them to check the things that we suggested early on, then they would have found it sooner. lol...JK Just glad you got your machine back up and running. Remember, a lot of us have experience with all things mechanical, so always feel free to throw a problem our way and we'll do our best to help you out and possibly save you some money in the process.

Reactions: 70Bones and m109r67

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes is was a vacuum leak. Had to get new throttle body. Dealership did me right.
A vacuum leak I'm guessing? Glad they finally got it figured out for you. Did they make it right with the ECM misdiagnoses? You should have told them to check the things that we suggested early on, then they would have found it sooner. lol...JK Just glad you got your machine back up and running. Remember, a lot of us have experience with all things mechanical, so always feel free to throw a problem our way and we'll do our best to help you out and possibly save you some money in the process.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Yes is was a vacuum leak. Had to get new throttle body. Dealership did me right.
Awesome!!! That's always good to hear. Sounds like you have a good dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This widespread problem has occurred to me, but I fixed it without any problems in the car service autoleap.com. There are several main reasons for the increased idle speed: first, you need to check the XX adjustment, which can be set to feed the enriched fuel mixture; check whether the carburetor air flap can open to the end; check the carburetor throttle. Also, do not forget to check the level of gasoline in the float chamber – it may be excessively high.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts