Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could you tell me how far back your axle is from the back of your trailer i build this one so i won't have to us my toy hauler for trails close to home but i do not know were to put the axle at 102_2231.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
I will measure mine tomorrow. My axle sits right under the engine so its pretty good placement for weight distribution.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Wildone, When are you picking yours up?

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
The axle goes behind center

·
Registered
153 Posts
81" from where my front tires touch to the center of the wheels. There is a torsion for a little suspension which connects to the trailer about 5" in front of that.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you my is also torsion went to get my cat on it the front is to heavy thank

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
If its not behind center you won't have any tongue weight. All the trailers I've built I've put the axle or axles 12" to 18" behind center. If you don't have enough tongue weight it rides rough and you have less control. Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: steve-d

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
A standard rule of thumb is to have 10 to 15% of the total weight on the tongue. If not it will sway like hell. I have seen trailer sway take the tow vehicle right off the road.

Reactions: wildone and steve-d

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hellbilly, its nice that you answered his questions, but he was looking for a hillbilly. Apparently they are really good at making trailers as well. Heck, maybe you are Hellbilly the hillbilly. That would clearly make you the home made trailer authority..........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts