Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 wildcat 1000 x 85hrs and 500 miles on it. I am hitting the rev limiter at 45 mph around 7500 rpm in high range. Put a new oem belt on and new oem stator. Cleaned all the plug connections too. Any help would b greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Wrong belt or maybe something not right in the clutches. Have you had your clutch cover off and taken a look at the belt and clutches?

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest i dont know much about the clutches bit yes I did pull the clutch cover and put the new belt on. It is the correct belt.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Are you certain you have the correct belt?

The early 2013 has a wet clutch and a shorter belt. You can identify which you have by checking the clutch cover. The early machines have a stabilizing bearing in the clutch cover for the drive (front) clutch and the covers are black. The later machines have "Team" decals on the clutch covers which are usually bare aluminum (a few were black). The shaft the clutch mounts on does not stick out past the clutch - i.e. there is no bearing in the cover.

The Team clutches use a longer belt, and if that belt was installed on a wet clutch machine the longer belt would use up quite a lot of your shift ratio. That is why we are asking if you have the right belt.

BTW, the wet clutch is hidden inside the engine covers. You can't see it without disassembling the engine somewhat. A wet clutch Wildcat actually has three clutches: the wet clutch acts like a torque converter and lets the machine remain motionless at idle while in gear. The two clutches inside the clutch cover provide the variable ratio.

To forum members that have had a wet clutch Wildcat: would using the wrong oil result in what this guy is seeing? I know it will lead to the destruction of the clutch, but I'm not quite sure what happens just before the clutch dies.

Reactions: izom and mtgott

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Okay, forget everything I said about it possibly being the wrong belt, or a defective wet clutch.

My guess is that something is hanging-up in the front clutch, preventing the sheaves from closing properly. If you are new to CVTs, Team has a pretty good video that shows how the clutches work:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was this issue ever figured out? Same exact thing is happening on a 2014. Hits rev limiter at 40mph, pulled secondary inspected, cleaned put back together. Next step was going to be putting a GoPro on to see how belt is reacting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. I have not got it figured out yet. I pulled the primary and secondary and cleaned both. Still doing same thing. If you get it figured out please let me know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No. I have not got it figured out yet. I pulled the primary and secondary and cleaned both. Still doing same thing. If you get it figured out please let me know.
Possible clutch kit? Mine has a dalton and does the same thing u r saying in low I only have about 3/4 of the throttle usable but it is okay in high

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dang, ok. Thanks
Possible clutch kit? Mine has a dalton and does the same thing u r saying in low I only have about 3/4 of the throttle usable but it is okay in high
No clutch kit on mine. Dealer said he'd bet money that it's the reverse override switch thinking it's in reverse. I'll try it later today.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
It won't be the override switch itself. That circuit doesn't command the ECM to use the lower rpm limit, it tells the ECM to ignore it. A faulty switch or circuit cannot cause the ECM to be in the low rpm mode when you are in L or H.

If it is the low rpm mode that is creating the problem, the gear indicator in the gauge should be displaying the wrong gear. If that is the problem, pressing the reverse override switch should let you run full revs. The gear position sensor is somewhat failure prone, so that is definitely worth checking, but I would have thought you would have noticed the gauge displaying the wrong gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It won't be the override switch itself. That circuit doesn't command the ECM to use the lower rpm limit, it tells the ECM to ignore it. A faulty switch or circuit cannot cause the ECM to be in the low rpm mode when you are in L or H.

If it is the low rpm mode that is creating the problem, the gear indicator in the gauge should be displaying the wrong gear. If that is the problem, pressing the reverse override switch should let you run full revs. The gear position sensor is somewhat failure prone, so that is definitely worth checking, but I would have thought you would have noticed the gauge displaying the wrong gear.
The display never faulted and showed a wrong gear but I did go ahead and change the gear position sensor anyways as a process of elimination.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have replaced the shift position sensor. Did not help mine. I just got the Dalton clutch kit but have not put it in yet.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
That is the real rev limit, not the lower rpm reverse limit.

Most likely something is not right in your clutches. With the spring out, the outer sheave in the primary should move easily. If it is sticking, the clutch cannot get into the taller ratio. Same on the secondary - if it can't spread, you'll never get into the faster (mph) part of the CVT.

One last thought - any chance both of you have portals installed? I think most portal setups lower the top speed significantly. Tracks do that as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is the real rev limit, not the lower rpm reverse limit.

Most likely something is not right in your clutches. With the spring out, the outer sheave in the primary should move easily. If it is sticking, the clutch cannot get into the taller ratio. Same on the secondary - if it can't spread, you'll never get into the faster (mph) part of the CVT.

One last thought - any chance both of you have portals installed? I think most portal setups lower the top speed significantly. Tracks do that as well.
I pulled the secondary, haven't pulled the primary yet. That was the next step. I understand what you're saying, I'll get that a shot next.

No portals or tracks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pulled primary, completely went through it, absolutely zero issues. Tried the over ride as stated before, didn't work. Clueless at this point.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts