Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
It's not my Pilot, but I will keep it door related and share what I have on this machine. By using conduit and aluminum he kept these doors light, also a unique hinge and latch set-up. I can't remember his name but give him full credit, doors were meant to keep the sand out of the cockpit and worked well for that. I apologize and I am not trying to hi-jack this thread, just sharing different door ideas.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Great Job!! I remember admiring the fellow that used conduit to make these doors for his Pilot(sorry, it's not a Cat). I always wanted to try it and might do it on my Pilot one day. My Sport came with doors for free.... I just had to buy the shocks to get them...lol. Seriously though you should be proud of your work and for saving some dough that you can put towards other things. I love how you made the rear of the door frame line up with the rear body work, AC's little hump there looks stupid to me. Well done.

View attachment 58137
I like the idea of the nets,for all you rock climbers,so they can keep your arms and hands inside

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Glad I jumped over here, great job on doors….I like the looks of full doors but not the price. Have access to aluminum but just can't weld it, never thought of conduit…I see my next project for the winter. Got bottom inserts for doors but full doors just look better. Looks like a under 100.00 job easy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hey blc, you know what those doors are? They're what they shoulda done in thief river falls. Super nice job man

·
Administrator
27,565 Posts
It's not my Pilot, but I will keep it door related and share what I have on this machine. By using conduit and aluminum he kept these doors light, also a unique hinge and latch set-up. I can't remember his name but give him full credit, doors were meant to keep the sand out of the cockpit and worked well for that. I apologize and I am not trying to hi-jack this thread, just sharing different door ideas.

View attachment 58409 View attachment 58417 View attachment 58425 View attachment 58433 View attachment 58441
Great looking Pilot!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kickass doors blc , would you be interested in making and selling them?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Kickass doors blc , would you be interested in making and selling them?
Hey thanks for getting a master cylinder guard from me!! Just saw your sig.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey thanks for getting a master cylinder guard from me!! Just saw your sig.
Thanks for providing a quality product at a reasonable price!

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
you would think all sport/trail forum members would have one by now...

I think I ordered mine 2 weeks after I bought it.......maybe it was just the idea of hitting the buy now button......

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Got some steel tubing scrap price for making doors soon, just need to find some aluminum sheets and hope to have some cool looking full doors also. I'll post when finished, think I'll paint same color green with black paint to match close to the XT pattern of my Trail to save on graphics.

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Wish I had the welding skills - I do have DG's master cylinder protector - I made sure to take it off my Trail when it sold so for Sport I'd have it -

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Had to refer back to this thread today. Was playing with some scrap yesterday evening and was going to cut up my stock doors to reuse certain parts for my full doors but wasn't really liking the idea of chopping them up. Few minutes looking at your pics and another few digging through my scrap pile and I think I have it all figured out. Between crappy weather, things not wanting to cooperate, and a little boy chasing me looking for a 4 wheeler ride, the old brain wasn't functioning on all cylinders so big thanks for letting me steal some of your ideas and getting me back on track.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I officially hate galvanized conduit. When you said you had to run almost too hot for the metal to burn through the coating you weren't kidding. Even after running a wire wheel over the conduit to remove some coating its still tricky to work with. Once you find the sweet spot you are good to go, just have to pay attention and stop at exactly the right time or you will blow holes through it all day long. If it wasn't for wanting to be lightweight id stick with thin wall bare steel tubing. Regardless, first door frame tacked together and its looking good. Ill use this door as my prototype and make all my mistakes then build two nice ones.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I officially hate galvanized conduit. When you said you had to run almost too hot for the metal to burn through the coating you weren't kidding. Even after running a wire wheel over the conduit to remove some coating its still tricky to work with. Once you find the sweet spot you are good to go, just have to pay attention and stop at exactly the right time or you will blow holes through it all day long. If it wasn't for wanting to be lightweight id stick with thin wall bare steel tubing. Regardless, first door frame tacked together and its looking good. Ill use this door as my prototype and make all my mistakes then build two nice ones.
I remember years ago when I worked at a chevy dealership in the body shop,the inner fenders for the Astro vans were Galvanized and welded in place,welding the new ones back in would make me really sick,I was told to drink milk when welding galvanized metal....

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I remember years ago when I worked at a chevy dealership in the body shop,the inner fenders for the Astro vans were Galvanized and welded in place,welding the new ones back in would make me really sick,I was told to drink milk when welding galvanized metal....
My buddy does body work for GM and he told me to drink milk too but me and dairy don't mix so im taking my chances. I have a respirator that fits under my mask but never think about wearing it. Good time to start.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts