Wildcat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Look forward to see what you come up with, be safe welding galvanized pipe, nasty stuff!! Large freeway signs are a cheap source of aluminum sheeting... Can even get them in green.... Lol.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Well frame prototype is pretty well finished minus the latch which will be simple enough. I have a sheet of abs plastic I might use as a door skin but I haven't decided yet. Originally was going to do a fiberglass skin but may be more messing around than I feel like doing. Welding the galvanized wasn't too bad once I found the sweet spot on the welder. Didn't notice the fumes with the respirator on. Here's what I have so far. Door.jpg

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Well frame prototype is pretty well finished minus the latch which will be simple enough. I have a sheet of abs plastic I might use as a door skin but I haven't decided yet. Originally was going to do a fiberglass skin but may be more messing around than I feel like doing. Welding the galvanized wasn't too bad once I found the sweet spot on the welder. Didn't notice the fumes with the respirator on. Here's what I have so far. View attachment 121082
Those are gonna looked good when you get them skinned...........

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I think so too. Surprisingly everything is falling into place without too much hassle. Drivers side frame is a little warped because that's the side I flipped on twice and the door I ripped off. Next time I have the plastic out I'll reinforce the factory door frame mount. Could almost use a 3rd hinge to better support everything.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I think so too. Surprisingly everything is falling into place without too much hassle. Drivers side frame is a little warped because that's the side I flipped on twice and the door I ripped off. Next time I have the plastic out I'll reinforce the factory door frame mount. Could almost use a 3rd hinge to better support everything.
I noticed with my full doors that that mounting point flex's a good bit.....

·
Registered
626 Posts
Well frame prototype is pretty well finished minus the latch which will be simple enough. I have a sheet of abs plastic I might use as a door skin but I haven't decided yet. Originally was going to do a fiberglass skin but may be more messing around than I feel like doing. Welding the galvanized wasn't too bad once I found the sweet spot on the welder. Didn't notice the fumes with the respirator on. Here's what I have so far. View attachment 121082
Looks good, can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I noticed with my full doors that that mounting point flex's a good bit.....
That's because they are just bolted to a thin walled square tube that is bolted to the frame by a single bolt on each end and zero support in the middle. I thought about welding in a support last time I had it apart but didn't bother, now I wish I had. Even with the stock half door it was pretty flimsy. Ill be adding a strap to help support the door weight when fully open just to save wear on the mounting bar.

·
Registered
287 Posts
DRock, Can you post some pics of how you did the hinge? Did you use the factory hinge or come up with something else? Full doors will be this winters project and wanted to gather ideas.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Gonna look good DRock.....

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
DRock, Can you post some pics of how you did the hinge? Did you use the factory hinge or come up with something else? Full doors will be this winters project and wanted to gather ideas.
used stock hinge parts that are on the body but fabbed up my own hinge on the actual door. I used 3/4" round tube cut to the length between the two OEM hinges then welded a nut in each end. Drilled the nuts out to same diameter as the stock hinge pin. One end stays open and the other gets a 5/16" pin welded in. Now you have one large hinge pin with a male and female end. Weld that into a section of angle iron and you have your hinge and main spine for the door frame. I'll post pics over the weekend when I build the passenger side door frame.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Door frames painted and just waiting to get a few days cure on the paint before handling. Still debating whether to rivet the skins on or just bolt them on. Just worried that if I bust a door skin and have to replace that id end up drilling out rivets that will rattle around in my door frame and drive me nuts. I have a few days to make up my mind. Certainly looks much better painted in gloss black epoxy paint. Next project after this is a middle seat for the boy complete with harness. I don't have a few hundred to spend on a bolt in kit so ill just make that too.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Door frames painted and just waiting to get a few days cure on the paint before handling. Still debating whether to rivet the skins on or just bolt them on. Just worried that if I bust a door skin and have to replace that id end up drilling out rivets that will rattle around in my door frame and drive me nuts. I have a few days to make up my mind. Certainly looks much better painted in gloss black epoxy paint. Next project after this is a middle seat for the boy complete with harness. I don't have a few hundred to spend on a bolt in kit so ill just make that too.
I would bolt them on....I don't like rivets....my opinion....

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Think I have decided on rivnuts with #6 stove bolts and finishing washers. I didn't want to weld tabs everywhere so ill set the rivnuts into the door frame. Then I can remove without having to drill out rivets. If I had gone the fiberglass skin route I could have embedded the bolts into the skin and youd see nothing from the outside. Oh well, for the few bucks I have into them that's the least of my worries.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Doors are done, been done for a while. They are great. Will start a thread in the trail section if i ever find time. Cant believe i ever thought about paying full price for AC doors.

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
Hey DRock, did you ever PM VS_Goose about getting your old member account back up and running? You could probably even PM Hollywood, he's an Admin. now.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts