Wildcat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I believe there is a lot more power lost in a CVT (belt slip and heat) than a manual transmission. The Talon's 104 hp may punch well above its weight when compared to anything but a Yamaha.

The DCT with dual range sounds appealing IF Honda has done the initial engagement clutch correctly. That the machine has a clutch temp warning gauge or light makes me just a little wary, but crawling is only a small part of how we ride.

I'm looking forward to seeing one in person, and this could move me off of our X Ltd.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I believe there is a lot more power lost in a CVT (belt slip and heat) than a manual transmission. The Talon's 104 hp may punch well above its weight when compared to anything but a Yamaha.

The DCT with dual range sounds appealing IF Honda has done the initial engagement clutch correctly. That the machine has a clutch temp warning gauge or light makes me just a little wary, but crawling is only a small part of how we ride.

I'm looking forward to seeing one in person, and this could move me off of our X Ltd.
I believe the Yamaha had around the same percentage of power loss as a CVT set up.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
That surprises me a little bit. Belt blowers seem to be fairly popular, and that heat is lost horsepower.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm getting pretty interested in the Talon. I'm a little bit concerned about adding more electronics to a machine that lives in a pretty harsh environment, but they are doing some neat things.

1) The Talon will have Honda's hill start assist, which holds the brakes for a bit while you are moving your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator. Works uphill or downhill.
2) They are adapting some of the street-car tech to manage missing traction on the front axle in 4wd. If the system detects an unloaded wheel (I assume by comparing wheel RPMs), it applies that wheel's brake, sending torque to the wheel with traction. No need to lock the axle. The description I read only mentioned the front axle, but if they are doing it up front, they should apply the same hardware to the rear, which would mean it would not have a locked diff.

I also like that it is approximately the same size as the X.

I'm going to take a good long look at the Talon when it hits the dealers.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Being a Honda lover I am very interested to see and drive the new talon. I have convinced myself to keep the Wildcat and just spent a ton of money on it to help me stay the course.
The truck that I drive at work has the traction control that lightly touches a brake at the slipping wheel.
After locking the inter axle differential and the axle cross lock in the next thing I do is reach over and shut off the traction control when in a situation.
Sometimes you want a little wheel spin. It will be interesting to see how it works on the honda. I must keep the wildcat. I must keep the wildcat.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I'm getting pretty interested in the Talon. I'm a little bit concerned about adding more electronics to a machine that lives in a pretty harsh environment, but they are doing some neat things.

1) The Talon will have Honda's hill start assist, which holds the brakes for a bit while you are moving your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator. Works uphill or downhill.
2) They are adapting some of the street-car tech to manage missing traction on the front axle in 4wd. If the system detects an unloaded wheel (I assume by comparing wheel RPMs), it applies that wheel's brake, sending torque to the wheel with traction. No need to lock the axle. The description I read only mentioned the front axle, but if they are doing it up front, they should apply the same hardware to the rear, which would mean it would not have a locked diff.

I also like that it is approximately the same size as the X.

I'm going to take a good long look at the Talon when it hits the dealers.
Hey Mark, if you end up getting a Talon, I hope you still join us out in the Black Hills next year. Cat or no Cat, your always welcome!! :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hey Mark, if you end up getting a Talon, I hope you still join us out in the Black Hills next year. Cat or no Cat, your always welcome!! :)
My thought is that people go to their first Black Hills meet because it is a Wildcat thing. People go back because it is a great group of people meeting in an interesting location. We might continue to show up if all we have behind the RV is a Mazda Miata.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
AZStrip, good comment about wanting wheel spin at times.

I like that the Honda setup would be automatic - lift a front wheel and you still get drive out of the other one without messing with a hard-to-actuate switch. BUT there is a voice in my head reminding me that a locked diff is basic and reliable. It may not steer worth a darn, but it will move the machine if there is any traction available. Maybe the intermediate step is to make it easier to lock the diff, and I just happen to have an unused stalk control on the right side of my steering column...

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Being a Honda lover I am very interested to see and drive the new talon.
They will be at ROTR next year for test drives..

·
Registered
507 Posts
The longest and slowest new product rollout ever!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Weren't the first XX details leaked on stone tablets?

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Prices aren't bad at all. I was expecting higher.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The price is in line with the Wildcat XX and Yamaha. The XP1000 is much less. Going to be interesting to see how much of a splash this car makes when it finally is available.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Heard a lot whining when the XX came out in that price range.
Just being a Honda typically runs the price up. The dual clutch transmission. Then the fact that everyone has been waiting for this machine to come out for years. I'm surprised they're in the same ballpark as the competition price wise.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I need to wail till I see one in person before I can give any opinion but what I see so far not impressed.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I hope it sells well and forces alot of closeout deals from the other manufactures. I still cant believe Yamaha has not come out with a new SXS and address their outdated suspension.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I hope it sells well and forces alot of closeout deals from the other manufactures. I still cant believe Yamaha has not come out with a new SXS and address their outdated suspension.
Yamaha will never change the YXZ suspension. It took them 20 years to replace the Banshee. If Honda comes out with a turbo model, then you will see some crazy price wars. In the non-turbo market I believe you can get the XP1000, Wildcat XX and Yamaha all at 20Kish out the door or even less.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts