Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(From another thread)
Good luck with changing a belt in the middle of no place 90% of the time on this machine the clutch weights will fall out of the clutch roller valleys and if they are out when you put that new belt on youll have tear up more stuff .. so please be careful when changing or replacing a belt on the wildcat
In the case of a belt failure, My question is

1. Can the belt be change in the field??

2. If so, what tools are needed??

3. What would be the best procedure on how to do it???

4. Can the clutch weights be temporarily held in place by something like duck tape while changing the belt?????

Mike

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
and...

5. Will a replacement CV Tech Clutch eliminate the issue with the weights falling out?
cv tech is totally different style, no weights to fall out

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Yes can change the belt in the field. You need 3/8 ratchet, t-30 torx, 6 inch extension, 3 inch wobble extension or 3 inch extension and a swivel and a phillips screw driver. Loosen the lower clamp on the case vent tube with phillips, remove air cleaner lid, remove the two torx bolts for air cleaner barcket, remove all the case cover bolts. You can pull air cleaner bracket out and move the vent tube around rather than getting at the other clamp and bracket bolt the sticks up towards gas tank. Remove the cover. Use a long torx to expand the clutch. My belt came off easy since it was fried. Someone else said theirs wedged against case but mine did not. Here is where I messed up don't push on or turn the variator pulley once the belt is off or the rollers fall out of position. It took mechanics wire, masking tape, needle nose pliers and patients to get them all back in place. The new belt was very tight going on it took 2 of us to do it. We put it on the variator pulley first. Remove the torx bolt in the clutch and put it all back. My gasket did tear so you may want to have gasket sealer/maker.

Oh there are 5 long bolts in the case cover they hold the brackets so its easy to figure out where they go

I don't know the answers to the other questions.

Also the Adams vid shows how to get to the belt. He took the vent tube off, it didn't seem worth the trouble to me

·
Registered
60 Posts
Back in September I watched AC change a belt in the dunes. They hooked a tow strap to the passengers side of the cage, and pulled the passenger side up (from the drivers side) with the other wildcat. (Didn't have a jack). Then removed the lower shock mount bolt, and loosened the upper mount. Then rotated the shock out of the way for better access. Basically followed the above process with one exception, they removed the primary with a powerfull torque wrench and tried to clean it up a bit. Yea the rollers fell out and the primary was very, very hot and hard to handle. One note - they had removed two rollers from the assembly for better performance in the dunes. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts