Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys go to speedtest.net and do a test. i think its always interesting to see what guys computers run. your connection speeds are interesting to learn.

i am trying to upload a video that keeps crashing/stalling my internet here at the shop. just to let you guys see how far back in the stone age i am, my internet speeds are slower than dial-up. dial up is 56k, which usually rates about 45-55k bytes per second. my internet is slower than sin, and usually averages 22-35k. i have a 6min technical disassembly video i am trying to upload, current time is 333 mins to completion of upload. i have been trying to upoad this video for 2 days now, and it keeps crashing my interweb connection. here is a link to my speeds

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Holy crap!!

You need to switch to a broadband cable internet service, like Cox or Time/Warner.

Mine are in the 12MB/s range, usually, depending on other traffic. I have a torrent downloader/uploader that's always running, so I need a fast broadband connection to surf and run that with no slowdowns.

FIOS is crazy fast, but I just use Cox cable on their $60/mo plan. I only use them for internet, I use a Nettalk Duo for free phone over the internet (VoIP) and I use Dish HD for TV, this way we can take the 3 receivers with us in the trailer to where ever we travel.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's painfully slow.

I have DSL at the home so best I saw was 18.1 Mbps down and 0.720 Mbps up.

Best I've received on my Galaxy Nexus 4G phone is 17.4 Mbps down, 12.1 Mbps up.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I guess mine is a bit faster than last time I checked.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nah nothing wrong here with the computer. its our uplink. we have a wave-2-lan provider, for some crazy reason, the building i am in, used to be a computer hub where they ran a computer service network, and i cant get a land line in here now. the only thing available is a BS antenna thing to pick up interwebz outta the air. slower than dial up. been that way over a year. you guys aught to know me by now i like showing off, even when i am showing that i am the slowest person in america, at least i am still #1 at it. do it BIG or go home guys. slow internet FTW.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Glad you can get a SXS to run faster than you can get your Puter to run!!!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I just did the speed test and broke all of the meters.....dam this sucker's fast!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Adam take the vid to a friends house and upload it there, or have someone come grab it and get it up. Would save you some headache.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
nah nothing wrong here with the computer. its our uplink. we have a wave-2-lan provider, for some crazy reason, the building i am in, used to be a computer hub where they ran a computer service network, and i cant get a land line in here now. the only thing available is a BS antenna thing to pick up interwebz outta the air. slower than dial up. been that way over a year. you guys aught to know me by now i like showing off, even when i am showing that i am the slowest person in america, at least i am still #1 at it. do it BIG or go home guys. slow internet FTW.

That's pretty crazy. You can't get a business broadband cable account in there?

For our laptops and tablets, we bought a Virgin Mobile mifi 2200. Normally, their $20/mo. plan is 500MB max. per month, but if you buy the unit from any Walmart, you automatically get 1GB/mo. for $20.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the data throughput (Sprint network) even when I have the tablet using the Mifi and the laptop USB tethered to my Android phone (Sprint also) via PDAnet, the Mifi is a lot faster. We also haven't gone over about 600mb per month, so we're good on data usage too.

Those mifi 2200s can support 5 devices with a range up around 130 ft radius. The best part is it's not a monthly contract, if you don't need it, stop paying. If you need it, just go online via the phone and throw $20 in the account and you're back online in about a minute.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
For those of you with Android phones, you can use PDAnet to tether your phone to your computer via USB cable. As long as you aren't at the fringes of the service area, you'll get pretty good download speeds and it's free, you don't have to pay your provider for the data usage. PDAnet masks your data usage as part of your phone usage, so it looks to them like you're surfing with the phone, but the data is going to a computer.

Before we got the Mifi, I used it all the time in remote service areas. Works great!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts