Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now that we all know how much the Wildcat is going to put out for HP I am sure there will be people wanting to look at Forced Induction to up that HP. So my question is what will the stock clutch handle? I read on a few forums that they feel that is part of the reason AC didn't offer a higher HP engine was that the clutches couldn't handle it. Also since I am new to this whole thing can someone explain what type of clutch the Wildcat has? I keep seeing something about a wet clutch?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I could explain this, but I'll wait for Adam from Airdam to reply.....he's been all over most of these clutches. But yes, it is a wet clutch...runs in oil.

·
Registered
686 Posts
the stock wet clutch setup that arctic cat uses in their prowlers and ATVs will handle about 80hp max before it begins to have problems. when you over power it the clutch begins to slip inside its drum and will quickly glaze the wet clutch shoes and burn the drum. on a boosted setup, you cant run it hard you can make a few blasts but then need to let the wet clutches cool. repeated runs up olds hill will toast a wet clutch in a single day with a 120+hp setup. to replace the wet clutch and drum is about $680 so it will get costly if folks try and start beating on them.

BUT there is a solution but the only problems is we gotta wait a minute before i can tell more.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay.......its been a minute!
X2

I know you can't spill the beans and none of us want you to get into trouble. But it is real hard to have to plop down $17,000 on a machine that might now be all it is cracked up to be. Believe me I am still keeping my deposit and have no plans to turn tail and run away. I think the Wildcat is the best thing on the market right now but I also want to know what will happen if I add a TURBO or BIG BORE kit. I don't want to SMOKE my cluth but I also want to be able to add some HP along the way. I hope all this stuff comes out of the works SOON!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I know Adam was working on a wet clutch delete kit for the prowlers. I dont know if he got it sorted out. Or if AC deleted it on the Wildcat with his help???

·
Registered
945 Posts
the stock wet clutch setup that arctic cat uses in their prowlers and ATVs will handle about 80hp max before it begins to have problems. when you over power it the clutch begins to slip inside its drum and will quickly glaze the wet clutch shoes and burn the drum. on a boosted setup, you cant run it hard you can make a few blasts but then need to let the wet clutches cool. repeated runs up olds hill will toast a wet clutch in a single day with a 120+hp setup. to replace the wet clutch and drum is about $680 so it will get costly if folks try and start beating on them.

BUT there is a solution but the only problems is we gotta wait a minute before i can tell more.
Okay.......its been a minute!
It has been a number of minutes, Adam.....we are waiting for the inside scoop....:cool:

·
Registered
686 Posts
gotta wait a HOT minute. cant spill any info about it yet.

dont sweat your deposit, you will love the machine. when you get ready for turbo you wont have to worry about it either. believe me when you wanna turbo all you gotta do is holler at me i will sort you out.

i did the wet clutch delete setups over a year ago, and have a number of prowlers running it now. the first 3 prowlers i built one for did have issues, and last november i gotta bad rap about it, but the issues found in those machines (all desert and dune racers) were sorted out and fixed and the prowlers run fine with a wet clutch delete.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Airdam,
I am not sweating my deposit I just WANT TO KNOW!!!! I hate waiting and this not knowing is killing me..............................................................................I am like a little kid I am telling you right now. So can you explain why you have to delete the wet clutch and what do you replace it with? I would really like to learn more about this stuff and try to understand it. What would you do different between a non-turboed and a turboed rig? I know I already love the machine but I am like everyone else and would have liked a little more umph out of the engine. And I know once I get it I can send it to you and have my clutches reworked. And I am sure I will.

Ok you have provided all the info you can and we are all waiting with anticipation.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The wet clutch is really only part of the clutch system. This is what some people are deleting.
I'll do my best to explain this in very simple terms. But without much knowledge of a CVT system, it may not make any sense.
With the wet clutch design, the belt is always tight in the clutches as compared to a "normal" CVT design in which the belt is loose.
On the standard design, when the weights overpower the spring tension the primary clutch closes to grab the belt and cause movement. The engagement RPM can be changed by a simple spring change to a spring with more tension.
On the wet clutch system, the belt is tight in the clutch sheaves. This does prevent the initial grab of the belt that a standard design has. When the RPM is enough, the centrifugal force overpowers the sprag springs in the clutch and this engages the system. The engagement can be changed by changing these springs, but this is much more difficult and few people make the springs.
Once the engagement happens, the rest of the CVT operation is very similar on both systems although the components are different.

The wet clutch delete system basically takes away the wet clutch portion of the system and replaces it with a tapered shaft so that a conventional style CVT clutch can be installed.

We have turboed quite a few Thundercats and Prowlers. We have not seen the wet clutch fail due to glazing. We did run our demo prowler at Olds hill at Glamis a lot with many runs back to back.
I am not saying it will not fail, I am just saying that ours did not.
The wet clutch design does have some advantages, but it has disadvantages also. The wet clutch is part of the reason the Grizzly and Rhino belts last so long.
For a performance machine, I think the conventional CVT system is a better system.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The wet clutch is really only part of the clutch system. This is what some people are deleting.
On the wet clutch system, the belt is tight in the clutch sheaves and always turning.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....on my Prowler, at an idle, mine is not turning.....this is because the wet clutch engagement springs have the system in neutral. Yes, belt is always tight....but neutral comes from the wet clutch....and yes, this is why belts last longer in a wet clutch design.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is it called a wet clutch? Is it in oil or something? It sounds like the wet clutch will take some power? But the conventional CVT is a better system for a performance machine? Why is that?

Thanks for everyones explaining. I do know how a snowmobile clutch works to a point. Let's say I know the basics but I am no expert.

·
Registered
686 Posts
the wet clutch setup, has a centrifugal wet clutch bolted to the crankshaft. the shaft is located inside a drum. once the engine RPMs increase enough to engage the wet clutch, the shoes then sling outward and engage the drum which begins the outer clutches movement. the wet clutch is bolted to the crankshaft, and therefore is bathed in engine oil. the oil between the shoes and drum allow for some slippage, also the drums can become glazed and harden themselves after repeated heat cycles to the point that the wet clutch shoes will no longer hold the power. i have built upwards of 70 wet clutch delete setups for arctic cat machines, and i can tell you that i have seen wet clutch drums and wet clutch shoes in BAD shape. now that does not mean every wet clutch setup will end up bad, but some people are really just harder on parts than others.

the reason we replace the wet clutch is to eliminate wet clutch slip, a laggy engagement, and power robbing weight. the complete wet clutch, shaft, and dry primary clutch weighs nearly 17lbs, the wet clutch delete system with its new shaft, and new primary clutch weigh only 9lbs. that is removing 7+lbs right off the crankshaft which allows a stock engine to rev and perform like a superior built race engine. i wish i could post videos to show the performance gains but i can not. the arctic cat wet clutch delete systems make a cat engine a complete animal. there is a before and after video of a silver thundercat on youtube. it speaks for itself.

hopefully cat will go ahead and release these things. i USED to know what was going on up there, now they have me in the dark and the closer we come to the productions hitting the floors i am starting to wonder what they really have going on up there.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Adam,
Can you give me a price range for the wet clutch delete kit? And also to set mine up for a wide range of terrain. I play in the mountains and the dunes so I can't just setup for one type. If you want PM me the prices.

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
don't think this wildcat would have both wet and dry . it can handle more without the wet clutch. FAQs is useing artic-cats cvt clutch on his cars thay have 180hp and are a pig of a car. still I see a few out in the dunes thay look like fun. did I spell all that ok for you? time for someone to open there owners bible and tell us the good word.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No the Wildcat has a wet clutch system but you can switch it to a dry clutch system to handle more power.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Steve-d,
See what I don't know??? I said I was not very knowledgeable about this stuff.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry not you Wildman. I understand what you are saying. I agree, and I have much to learn about CVT clutches and that is why I have AIRDAM do mine.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts