Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been quite a while time wise since I had to do maintenance on my Wildcat X since I hardly ever drive it since I bought my sand rail. I have a trip to Coral Pink coming up, and the X is due for an oil change and valve adjustment as well as all the stuff I do every 250 miles or less such as the diffs and air filter. The designers obviously did not talk to each other when they stuffed a quad engine into this chassis as you have to take most of the rear plastic and heat shields off to get to the valve covers. The oil filter almost could not have been put into a worse location. Sure, you can get to it when doing the valve adjustment, but you WILL be dumping dirty azz oil all over the skidplates and garage floor. Even the front diff takes several extensions and u-joints to get to the drain plug.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Keep up the good work

·
Registered
273 Posts
I put a disposable doggie pad under the oil filter when I remove it. It helps.

I think all engineers should be assigned to maintain a vehicle they worked on.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I put a disposable doggie pad under the oil filter when I remove it. It helps.

I think all engineers should be assigned to maintain a vehicle they worked on.
I definitely agree, I worked for a large computer equipment company for 30 years as a field rep (mechanic) and said those exact words so many times it was almost automatic.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely agree, I worked for a large computer equipment company for 30 years as a field rep (mechanic) and said those exact words so many times it was almost automatic.
Yup, I used a huge wad of paper towels. What a PITA to change, I was cussing them out the entire time. I thought about putting a remote adapter on there, but do not want to sink any more money into a 2104 Wildcat X with 7500 miles on it. The upgrade would be worth more than the Cat, LOL.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
wasn't it a chevy model you had to remove a motor mount to change a spark plug/s/?...duhhhhhhhhhhhhh...chevy ii, camaro or the like...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
yeah right its sure not servicefriendly but ive also seen worse... ;-()

BTW- dont know this happened to anyone too?-

while changing the oilFILTER-

i wanted to put on the new one - which is a pita of course- because doin this half blind and left handed i luckily tried to feel the hole first without filter- AND i was missing the tread part where the oilfilter comes on !?! -

luckily the old filter was still in the trash :-/- i realized the short tread part(no13 union) was ON the old filter !??- but i wasnt surprised cause this also happened on my astro van-

so i put this tread part on the motor back- my question-

as on the chevy there was a imbus(allen)tread so ican fix it good- on the AC part is not-
i get it on only by hand ?? or with a plier?

:-()

·
Registered
273 Posts
wasn't it a chevy model you had to remove a motor mount to change a spark plug/s/?...duhhhhhhhhhhhhh...chevy ii, camaro or the like...
We had a 1976 Omega that had to have the motor lifted to change the plugs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree the valves and front diff are a pain. I prefer the oilchange on this over my Pioneer to do a full service its 2 cartridge filters, 7 quarts of oil, 3 drain plugs and 2 oil fill spots each taking their own capacity.

I'll take a spin on filter, 2.8q of oil and one drain plug any day. I change the rear diff fluid when I do my oilchanges im right there at it and takes hardly any fluid. I run amsoil engine oil and diff fluid in the cat I change it every 400 or so miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts