Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the talk about the "junk" stock tires, has me worried. I logged miles at Glamis, now looking to log the miles in the desert, 20 miles above Blythe CA. The desert is "extremely" rough with rocks, sand and tons of sharp shale stone. 6 Ply tires are the only thing that will last on quads.

I have been looking at the Bighorns (not sure what ones, there are many versions) and the ITP Bajacross. I believe they both offer 14", now the question is size. I assume 9" for the front and 11" for the rear. Does one slide better that the other? Does one throw more rocks than the other?

In addition, I am looking for rims as well. I was thinking of using the stockers to mount some paddles on for Glamis. Let me know who is selling 14" rims that fit the cat.

What are your thoughts, where are the deals? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just bought 26x11 and 26x9 Bighorns from rockymountainatv $465 shipped. They also have ITP rims and will mount and ship for free. Might want to check out Discount tire as well. I have no personal experiance w/them, but they are a supporting vendor.

·
Registered
396 Posts
All the talk about the "junk" stock tires, has me worried. I logged miles at Glamis, now looking to log the miles in the desert, 20 miles above Blythe CA. The desert is "extremely" rough with rocks, sand and tons of sharp shale stone. 6 Ply tires are the only thing that will last on quads.

I have been looking at the Bighorns (not sure what ones, there are many versions) and the ITP Bajacross. I believe they both offer 14", now the question is size. I assume 9" for the front and 11" for the rear. Does one slide better that the other? Does one throw more rocks than the other?

In addition, I am looking for rims as well. I was thinking of using the stockers to mount some paddles on for Glamis. Let me know who is selling 14" rims that fit the cat.

What are your thoughts, where are the deals? Thanks in advance.

Hey there

I ride in Johnson Valley in the general area of the Hammers.

On my new Wildcat, I got about a total of 60 miles in before I gave up fixing flats, which included 4 sidewall flats rear & 1 front & 2 thread puncture rear & 2 in front, so yes the tries are junk in rocky trails

According to what I have been able to find out, the stock tires weigh about 25 front & 27 rear

Stock rims weigh about 15 lbs each

I decide to go with the Baja Cross. It is the same tire that the winner of the 1000 class @ the King of the hammers was using, & he said he had no flats. He was using the 28x10x14 on all corners which weigh 32lbs each

I am getting the Baja cross in the 26x10x14 on all four corners & they weigh 29.9 lbs each (I am going same size because it allow you to rotate the tires & only need to carry one spare.

I got the @ Rocky Mountain ATV for Got 5 of them for 133.99 each OTD, no tax or shipping charges

I am also getting since I used bead locks on my Honda pilot & love them

I decided on the DWT Spector Spun Alum 3 piece Bead Lock. They weigh in at 9 lbs each (I like the the spun Alum better because un like the cast alum, it weighs less, are stronger and they will bend instead of crack & be bent back if needed Also you can run a bead lock with out air going slow without damage to your rims

I getting them for 210.00 each OTD

So the stock wheel & tire weighs Front 40 lbs & rear 42 rear

My setup will weigh tire & wheel Front 38.9 & rear 38.9 So I am saving weight, & still getting a 8 ply tire & bead locks

Mike

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
PitBulls :cool:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes, great tire but to heavy. I am hoping the Baja's will do the job. If not, that will be the next tire I will try

I did run the Bighorns on my Honda pilot and never had a flat, but then again, that is a 600 lb vehicle opposed to a 1300 lb vehicle

I will give a full report on them when I receive them & have a chance to test them out

We also use the Baja Cross on both of our Rescue 3 quad rangers in Johnson Valley and with two outings have had no problems yet

Mike

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Just bought 26x11 and 26x9 Bighorns from rockymountainatv $465 shipped. They also have ITP rims and will mount and ship for free. Might want to check out Discount tire as well. I have no personal experiance w/them, but they are a supporting vendor.
x2...........

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Hey thereI ride in Johnson Valley in the general area of the Hammers.On my new Wildcat, I got about a total of 60 miles in before I gave up fixing flats, which included 4 sidewall flats rear & 1 front & 2 thread puncture rear & 2 in front, so yes the tries are junk in rocky trailsAccording to what I have been able to find out, the stock tires weigh about 25 front & 27 rearStock rims weigh about 15 lbs eachI decide to go with the Baja Cross. It is the same tire that the winner of the 1000 class @ the King of the hammers was using, & he said he had no flats. He was using the 28x10x14 on all corners which weigh 32lbs eachI am getting the Baja cross in the 26x10x14 on all four corners & they weigh 29.9 lbs each (I am going same size because it allow you to rotate the tires & only need to carry one spare.I got the @ Rocky Mountain ATV for Got 5 of them for 133.99 each OTD, no tax or shipping chargesI am also getting since I used bead locks on my Honda pilot & love themI decided on the DWT Spector Spun Alum 3 piece Bead Lock. They weigh in at 9 lbs each (I like the the spun Alum better because un like the cast alum, it weighs less, are stronger and they will bend instead of crack & be bent back if needed Also you can run a bead lock with out air going slow without damage to your rimsI getting them for 210.00 each OTDSo the stock wheel & tire weighs Front 40 lbs & rear 42 rearMy setup will weigh tire & wheel Front 38.9 & rear 38.9 So I am saving weight, & still getting a 8 ply tire & bead locksMike
Where are you getting the spectors for that price? Cheapest I found was $350.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Where are you getting the spectors for that price? Cheapest I found was $350.

I have to meet some one in ten Min. I'll get you the info when I get back in about a hour or so

Mike

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info, time to order. Going to buddies fab shop to rework cage this weekend then tires next week. I will post pictures. Thanks again for the feedback.

Does anyone know what the stock set up, front and back weigh?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have read that it is 40 lbs front & 42 rear

mike3

·
Registered
189 Posts
ITP Bajacross 26x10x14 front - 26x11x14 rear. If you "like" rocks, come to Tucson! 8 ply sidewalls are a comfort.

Gumball

1 - 14 of 14 Posts