Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what works best for mounting options? Limited comes with bumper and I see guys either modifying stock bumper or doing the winch mount with winch bumper..

Your thoughts and thanks!

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
what works best for mounting options? Limited comes with bumper and I see guys either modifying stock bumper or doing the winch mount with winch bumper..

Your thoughts and thanks!
I have the Warn under hood mount, 3500LBS winch, synthetic line, and I cut the bumper. Only needed it once so far and all went well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Warn under hood mount, 3500LBS winch, synthetic line, and I cut the bumper. Only needed it once so far and all went well.
The 2018 is different under the hood than the 2014 is. There is no storage box.
Does this kit still work? Does anyone know??

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
I'm fairly certain there has never been a storage box under the hood. I believe the only thing that would prevent you from using the winch kit for other years would be changes to the frame.

Do you plan to do solo rides? If so, I would put the winch on a receiver shank and put receiver hitches and power on both ends of your 'cat. We go out alone from time to time and I've had to winch from the front and from the rear. If I had done the usual under-hood mount, we might still be walking down the mountain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok I will chime in with my .02 cents. I have the 2018 wildcat x limited, I also have the warn underhood mount installed with a 5k winch with cable. So the kit will work except the bottom fairlead bracket will need some holes drilled in it to mount it Other than that its straight forward. Now on to the use of the winch the freewheel knob on mine is tucked up there so if its really muddy could be a pita. Second you cannot see the winch spool I got stuck yesterday in snow and had to winch when pulling the cable back in its a guessing game as to if it is spooling properly. I kinked my cable cause I cant see how its going on. Last thing I had to pull on a slight angle putting pressure on my side roller causing the fairlead mount to bend. I will be removing it and trying to gusset it to prevent this. I have also ordered synthetic rope for it to prevent the binding. Any other questions just ask ,, Cheers!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like you know more about this than I do, Duh..
In the spot that is looks like the place where the winch would mount is my oil cooler (trans and or engine).
And the steering link goes right there in the middle. Did you move these things?
Do you have any pictures that you took while installing? I have seen pictures of someone putting hinges on their hood.
Did you do that? My hood is under my windshield mount.

Thank you..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like you know more about this than I do, Duh..
In the spot that is looks like the place where the winch would mount is my oil cooler (trans and or engine).
And the steering link goes right there in the middle. Did you move these things?
Do you have any pictures that you took while installing? I have seen pictures of someone putting hinges on their hood.
Did you do that? My hood is under my windshield mount.

Thank you..
I will be installing my synthetic rope Friday I will take some video and pictures of what I did and how I will modify the fair lead mount. May as well put it on you tube as well as there is nothing really out there

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
djohrexco, all of that stuff under the hood is the same on all years of the Wildcat 1000 / X. To my knowledge, none of it has to move, but then again I thought it was short-sighted to install a winch that only pulls from one end, so I didn't research it extensively.

If you use Google as your search engine just type "underhood winch site:wildcatforums.net" (without the quotes) and you'll get a handful of threads on installing the winch kit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok so here are some pics for the install you can see the bracket where you have to drill 2 holes. you can also see how the cable spooled back on you cant see the drum so hard to do it blind. I switched to wire rope.
image8.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image8.jpeg
image8.jpeg image2.jpeg image4.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok so here are some pics for the install you can see the bracket where you have to drill 2 holes. you can also see how the cable spooled back on you cant see the drum so hard to do it blind. I switched to wire rope. View attachment 251098 View attachment 251098 View attachment 251099 View attachment 251099 View attachment 251098 View attachment 251098 View attachment 251099 View attachment 251101
Thank you for the Pics. Where did you buy the mount? or did you make it yourself??
please post more pics after you change to rope. I want to see where it comes out of the grill.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok so I will give a quick run down. The warn kit I mentioned is good but set up for non bumper wildcats. This is where the modification comes in. As stated in the pictures above you will need to drill 2 holes into the warm bracket so the bumper bracket can be used. I could not use the u bolts at the front, not long enough I did make the bracket more stable by adding a piece of flat bar in the Center of the warn bracket can see it in the picture. Then I made a spacer and bolted through the front hole I will get some longer bolts made for the other location. I added synthetic rope to stop the binding when spooling the winch in.
2FC38B40-C69E-4544-993D-06D380441E1F.jpeg

·
Registered
74 Posts
The winch set up to attach to the receiver hitch, one installed in the front and one installed on the rear, makes more sense. You can attach it to the rear end or the front end. Pull from either direction

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm fairly certain there has never been a storage box under the hood. I believe the only thing that would prevent you from using the winch kit for other years would be changed to the frame.

Do you plan to do solo rides? If so, I would put the winch on a receiver shank and put receiver hitches and power on both ends of your 'cat. We go out alone from time to time and I've had to winch from the front and from the rear. If I had done the usual under-hood mount, we might still be walking down the mountain.
Where did you get the receiver shank?

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
I buy the raw materials for my hitch receivers and the options that plug into them from Harbor Freight. Their 1 1/4" male to 2" female adapters are really cheap. For the winch, I bought a straight (no drop) ball mount and cut the ball mounting flange off. HF actually sells a receiver winch mount, but the shank is much, much lighter material than what is used in a ball mount shank.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I buy the raw materials for my hitch receivers and the options that plug into them from Harbor Freight. Their 1 1/4" male to 2" female adapters are really cheap. For the winch, I bought a straight (no drop) ball mount and cut the ball mounting flange off. HF actually sells a receiver winch mount, but the shank is much, much lighter material than what is used in a ball mount shank.
Thank you for the information,
Neil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts