Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just finishing up the “budget friendly IQS” project for my WildcatXX.
After a day of riding and resetting my shocks at every stop, I really wanted to get the IQS system. Unfortunately it’s pretty expensive and shock therapy is booked out for several months. This got me to thinking of alternatives.
I fly RC helicopters for another hobby, so I’m always messing with servos as part of it. I also have a 3D printer and have just started tinkering with Arduino. Put it all together and boom- budget friendly IQS.
I designed an adapter to fit over the factory shock knob so it can interface with a servo. I also designed a simple, clamp on servo mount that positions a servo over the knob. This system doesn’t modify the shock or knob in any way and manual adjustment is still possible if it’s un-powered. I got the Arduino clone, servos, switch (3-position rotary), wire and electronics enclosure off Amazon for less than $200. I also added a BEC (battery eliminating circuit) as a voltage regulator as servos max out at 7.4 volts.
The Arduino sketch is also very simple, but works perfectly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Did you print in PLA? I made an external water filter holder for RV and I wonder about it deteriorating with PLA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used PETG which is basically what water bottles are made from. Very durable, UV stable, abrasion resistant and a little flexible. The only issue with it is it’s hydroscopic and takes on moisture in filament form which can affect the print. That’s why the knob adapters are a little rough- the spool has been in the open for 6 months.,

·
Registered
165 Posts
thats sweet

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is awesome! I'd love to do this on my machine soon. Could you share the items you purchased, 3D models & arduino program? I could also print some things out of nylonx (carbon fiber filled nylon) for you for sharing your leg work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is awesome! I'd love to do this on my machine soon. Could you share the items you purchased, 3D models & arduino program? I could also print some things out of nylonx (carbon fiber filled nylon) for you for sharing your leg work.
I’ll get it together next time I’m in front of the computer. NylonX should be a good material to use too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts