Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance for a couple sideways pictures, can't figure how to turn them.

I finally got around to installing harnesses in the cat today and honestly, it couldn't have gone much worse. I got it done but it was a nightmare. After reading a few threads about on here I figured the outside lap belts would be the worst. I started on the passenger side in case I ran into issues so I could still drive it this weekend with the stock seat belt. The outside bolt was a breeze and I was able to stick a 18mm wrench in the gap and hold the nut over the hole while I popped off the lap belt and stuck the bolt through the harness hardware and started it back in. The inside, which I thought was supposed to be the easy one, was horrible! I loosened the bolt and spent the next hour trying to figure out how to hold the nut from spinning and ended up pulling half the center console up and removing the battery to get a wrench in there. It turns out when I cracked the loctite, it also broke the three tiny spot welds holding the nut in place. During the swearing and fighting I also managed to drop the battery clamp screw down into the bottom of the machine (aka the arctic cat abyss) and it rolled off into the dark where I couldn't even reach it with my magnet/grabber thingy and I ended up having to take a bunch of bolts out of the skid pan to pull it down and reach in and feel around for it. Once I found the screw and put everything back together, the driver side took all of 20 minutes from start to finish as the nut stayed in place on that one. However bad that sounds, don't let it deter you from installing harnesses, they're worth it and surely you can't have the same luck as me. Also Hollywood will give you a pat on the back like a proud dad.

Now some pictures!
IMG_1225.JPG

As you can see it was barely even tacked on there. The welds actually made it easy to line up again because it wouldn't fit through the box end of my wrench. If anyone runs into this in the future the nut is a 19mm and you can just barely get a box end wrench back off over the bolt once its all back together. Maybe if you have small hands you could hold it over the hole with your fingers or needle nose but its a tight fit. I could have reached it with just the battery removed, the center console didn't really need to come out (so don't try that first like me if you're using this post as a guide).

I went with Beard 5 point harnesses (mainly because they don't have sewn together belts and my seats can still come out quickly) and the Beard harness bar and although it's a decently built bar, it's not quite what I expected. The pictures on all the vendors websites I looked at show a clamp mounted bar like a lot of the other brands with two loops for the shoulder straps to feed through but the bar that fits the X bolts into the rollcage joint with new hardware and a spacer like so...

IMG_1233.JPG

The height is good and the angle from my shoulders to the bar is ~15 degrees, well within acceptable, and fits very comfortable but the bar just looks like it could have a bit better design. The way the bar is bent to fit over the body of the cat puts the inside shoulder belt at a bit of an angle which I'm sure I will forget about after I adjust it for the first ride but I'm picky and I like things to be square, level, even, etc.

IMG_1232.JPG

I like the latch and link buckles better than the automotive or cam lock style which is mainly personal preference but I also read that the others plug up with dirt/mud. I also like this design for the shoulders being separate like I mentioned above. If you store things under your seat and take them out often, it's worth noting that sewn together belts will make that a real PITA without quick release hardware. For the time being I wrapped the 5th point around the bar on the seat base and it seems to be fine (although not structural) but I would be open to suggestions as to how some others have mounted it. I think over time the friction against the floor will wear on the webbing possibly tearing the belt.

IMG_1229.JPG

And the end result... Very comfy and much safer when s#!t goes south.

IMG_1234.JPG

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Looks great, good job!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think it took me as long to read the post as it did you to put the belts in. JK LOL. Nice job, well worth the time.

Reactions: raynmary

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, I know. More of a rant than a review. The title gives fair warning!

Reactions: raynmary

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
thanx- for that pics- i thought about the beard bar too....but after seein the pics- i will NOT buy it!
like their harness...but not their bar...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Just went through the broken off welded nut issue. dropped the skid plate for access.
Turns out the access isn't very good.
Took twenty minutes with the dremel (seemed a lot longer) and cut the bolt off.
Couldn't find a replacement in all my junk so off the the store.
Its never as easy or quick as you think it is going to be.

Reactions: izom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the post and pics. I have been thinking about putting harness's in. was thinking 4 point, guess I will seek the expertise lurking in the past post's. And Murphy say's projects will take approximately 2 1/2 times what you plan for. Lol.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Nice job, you'll like riding with the harnesses

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks for the post and pics. I have been thinking about putting harness's in. was thinking 4 point, guess I will seek the expertise lurking in the past post's. And Murphy say's projects will take approximately 2 1/2 times what you plan for. Lol.
The only harness experience I have is with the ones I just installed.
Dragonfire EVO. The shoulder straps are connected and padded behind the neck.
Very comfortable and keeps them from sliding off your shoulders.
I use to fight the factory belt as it kept tightening around your waist as you bounced along.
Not a problem with the harnesses. I noticed the other day that once I was strapped in I never thought about them again.
I did notice flying across some whoops that I really liked how they kept me planted in the seat.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
I have those belts in my sand rail. I hated fishing around for 5 pieces and then fumbling them together... when we stop on the tail it takes everybody 20 minutes to get back in and ready to go. (got women and children fumbling for ever)

Soooo, I did away with the crotch strap and welded the fittings of the shoulder straps to fittings on the lap belts ... now jump in, put on the shoulder straps and the lap straps are right there. One motion - click and I'm gone.

2016-12-29_125806.jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts

EVO harness with shoulder strap sewn into lap belt.
sit down. close lab belt latch. snug shoulder straps. off we go.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
That's a bit of an old thread to re-open, but yes, you have to remove the seats.

I'm wondering why you bothered to ask. The seats come out in about 30 seconds. I pull mine any time I wash the 'cat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's a bit of an old thread to re-open, but yes, you have to remove the seats.

I'm wondering why you bothered to ask. The seats come out in about 30 seconds. I pull mine any time I wash the 'cat.

Sorry I just did a search of harness and I found this thread.

And I just bought this SXS used and I have no clue how to remove seats. If it is that easy that would be great, I don't see how or any levers on how to release them. Can you explain or post photos? Thank you

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's very simple no tools required. Reach between the upper and lower portion of seat in the rear there's a lever pull up on lever while lifting up the rear of the seat and slide seat to the rear to remove from front hooks. You will also need to buy a harness bar to mount harness to.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I am considering these harnesses for my 2014 Wildcat 1000 4x. I am not completely sure other than the harnesses what all do I need to buy to install them. A bar and what one? An install kit? Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts