Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,
I am new to your forum my name is Otto. I am owner of a 2015 wild cat 1000x and I have had many issues since I purchased the cat new from the dealer. My last issue was the fuel pump went out (did not hum anymore on turn key) replaced it in Dec 2017 and worked fine. Just last weekend I was out riding in lake havasu AZ and the Cat just shut down. I did not crank over so I got towed home and now I am starting the diagnostics. Checked Belt look good replaced it with a new one since I was there, Fuel pump is humming when turning key. Fuses look good , battery is fully charged ( I keep on trickler) I am lost as to why my Cat will not start. It sounds similar to when a timing belt/chain breaks on a car.. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you very much..

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I allways start with the easy stuff, spark, fuel,oil for signs of coolant or lack of oil. Then compression . any codes coming up? Did it die while driving. Any funny noises? I don't have a 1000 but all the basic checks are the same. You might ask for help in the X section also.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with sak kitty check with easy things like spark. If you have spark put a little fuel in the cylinder and try turning it over if it stumbles then probably a fuel issue. Vapor locked I have heard that has been a issue. Good luck keep us posted thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Greetings all,
I am new to your forum my name is Otto. I am owner of a 2015 wild cat 1000x and I have had many issues since I purchased the cat new from the dealer. My last issue was the fuel pump went out (did not hum anymore on turn key) replaced it in Dec 2017 and worked fine. Just last weekend I was out riding in lake havasu AZ and the Cat just shut down. I did not crank over so I got towed home and now I am starting the diagnostics. Checked Belt look good replaced it with a new one since I was there, Fuel pump is humming when turning key. Fuses look good , battery is fully charged ( I keep on trickler) I am lost as to why my Cat will not start. It sounds similar to when a timing belt/chain breaks on a car.. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you very much..
Otto is your 1st name?
Otto is my last name. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for replying. You all know the saying when it rains it pours. My suburban is now having issues which I have to get to that first. So far i only had time ensure fuel pump is in fact pushing gas. Once I find out what it is I will post. Thanks again all

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Greetings all
Update on my 2015 wild cat 4 x 1000 that will not turn over.
I finally got back to working on it. I checked all electric and spark looks good ,then put it on a test light for fuel injectors ensure they are working that passed. I decided to go back to the fuel pump we installed back in December and it sounded like it was starving for gas (remember it was pumping out gas) took it out and to my dismay the fuel pump case that hold the fuel pump in place became undone and the fuel pump was dropping into the gas tank thus not pushing enough fuel to the engine (not to mention it was bobbing like a bobble head doll in the gas tank) Once we snapped it back together and installed it back in the gas tank , the cat started with no issues.
How to troubleshoot:
1 removed the air filter
2. One person Sprays some carburetor fluid into the air filter and another person turns key the cat started and was running as long as I kept spraying. That tells me the engine is not getting enough fuel
So to the fuel pump I went

Moral to the story.... just because the fuel pump is pumping out gas doesn’t mean it’s putting out enough gas.
As Ronald Regan said. Trust but verify.
Thank you all for your support

·
Administrator
27,616 Posts
Having problem fitting a belt on my 2018 wildcat x 1000 limited. Any ideas the correct belt number
Did you try going on Rocky Mountain ATV / MC? They sell parts fo all SXS manufacturers. They have an excellent microfiche that will pull up any year, any model, any part number.

Also, welcome to the forum. Start a thread so members can meet you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts