Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 AC Trail with the stock battery. I let it sit too long this winter without running it, and it's down to 10.5V.
I have a good charger that auto-senses recharging/trickle-charge for maintaining it, and it has a selector switch for Standard or AGM type batteries...
The stock Yuasa battery does not specify what type it is. I even looked it up on their website and they don't specify?! o_O
I "assume" it's Standard type, then? I set the charger for Standard and the light indicates it's charging, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow if it works or not... :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
The stock one does not specify so I charged it on standard. My replacement yuasa says agm.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
X and XX come with AGM batteries. I would expect Trails and Sports to have AGM as well.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I checked it this morning and the charger was in maint. mode, green lights. I installed the battery back in the Cat, it came on at 12v and fired right up. Purring like a kitten once again. :cool:
No codes or anything, I just need to reset the clock.

Reactions: Sak kitty

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... until now. :(
It sat too long again, battery died. I charged it up like before and the charger showed green, but when I put it back in and tried the starter, just a 'click' and nothing... Voltage meter shows only 10 volts.

So... New Battery Time! What's the recommended AGM type these days for a '16 Trail, that will fit in that little space they have under the passenger seat?

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Personal preference: Odyssey

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Deka makes a good battery also.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
We have an early 14 Trail that still has the original battery in it, probably just lucky but I use battery tenders on all my equipment and vehicles when they are parked, I figure they have saved me a small fortune in batteries over the years.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Battery tenders are a life saver for small machines that sit a lot.

Reactions: mbrandt1402

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have an early 14 Trail that still has the original battery in it, probably just lucky but I use battery tenders on all my equipment and vehicles when they are parked, I figure they have saved me a small fortune in batteries over the years.
Can you leave the battery connected in the vehicle, or do you disconnect the leads and/or take it out? I always charged vehicle batteries out of the vehicle, sitting on a block of wood. Kind of a pain for regular maintenance, though, I have a lot of trouble getting this one in and out. I need to wrap a nylon strap around it.

·
Premium Member
7,658 Posts
just came back from florida to our home in colorado after being gone for over 1 year...we have our 2008 gmc sierra 2500hd duramax diesel with two batteries...we used a battery tender plus hooked up to the passenger side battery via snap-in connectors (like a/c sxs') and it started up like we had never left it there...did the same thing with a battery tender junior on our xx with the same results...our trv in the shed has had a batter tender jr on it since buying it in 2010...same battery!..."that's all i have to say about that"...thanks to forrest for my stealing that...

Reactions: dspete05

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine didn't come with a pigtail connector, but I think I have one that came with one of my (used) motorcycles...

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I didn't know this until a year or so ago, but apparently these connectors are also known as SAE battery connectors. Avail from Amazon and a ton of other places.

Reactions: mtgott

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I'm trying to find the model # of battery... Read the Owner's Manual and the Service Manual... nothing. :rolleyes:
Well, I'll need to trade-in the old one for the core charge anyway, so I'll just go pull it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, not a lot of choices in my area, I ended up getting the Duralast battery from Autozone. It is an AGM type.
Got it installed and the Trail fired up perfectly. I ran it around the yard (1 acre lot) and got it fully up to temp, and worked out a few of the squeaks and rattles. Felt good to run it again, even for a little bit. Hopefully I can get it back out on to the trails soon... :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts