Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm blowing a drive belt every 100 miles! deler told me it's becase in in high range going slow? they siad anything under 40 mph i need to be in low range this dosn't make sence to me and nethere does spending 18k on a new ride that a guy has to spend 180.00 every 100 miles? can some one PLEASE HELP!!!! I did the belt brake in to a T

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi, welcome to the WC forums...

Just a friendly note and some points for you to consider:

- This is your first post here. You can't possibly have done a search on the "blowing a belt" topic if you're asking the question instead of replying to one of the MANY threads on this topic. In fact, one of the threads is currently the fifth busiest thread on the forum - and it's specifically about the 2013 Wildcat X model breaking belts...

- A lot of folks have put in a lot of hours in research, experimentation and sharing information here. You show up and immediately want to know the sum of their knowledge. Really?

- Consider posting in the correct forum. New Member Introductions & Site Assistance is not where you ask about a blown belt. Your introduction is likely to be one-way.

- PLEASE HELP!!!! - really? You haven't lifted a finger to help yourself yet. I expect you're lifting a finger now though...

Seriously, welcome. Another member is always welcome, but try not to immediately needy.

RLW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry did not mean to piss any one off. i'm new at all of this. i figerd this would be the best place to get help. i thought forums where the place to to get in info. i've tried looking up info on the 2013 wcx hard to find info.

·
Administrator
27,995 Posts
Sorry did not mean to piss any one off. i'm new at all of this. i figerd this would be the best place to get help. i thought forums where the place to to get in info. i've tried looking up info on the 2013 wcx hard to find info.
Forums are the best place for information, you're right. Welcome! I don't have an X, but there does seem to be some that are blowing belts more than others, just like the 2012/13 Cats. Perhaps taking it back to your dealer (just to see if it might be an alignment issue). Members get a little riled up when the first post starts off with My Cat sucks because.................... Trust me we are all in this together, this is a great forum, people always try to help one another here.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Phydeaux, don't be such a Dick. People post the same think over and over and over. What makes this different. The guy wants help and if you can't help don't reply. I'm sure he will eventually find his way around the forum.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
i'm blowing a drive belt every 100 miles! deler told me it's becase in in high range going slow? they siad anything under 40 mph i need to be in low range this dosn't make sence to me and nethere does spending 18k on a new ride that a guy has to spend 180.00 every 100 miles? can some one PLEASE HELP!!!! I did the belt brake in to a T
Welcome to the forum! There are a few things to try. This is assuming that you do not have a clutch alignment issue and you are just building up too much heat in your clutch case. First, you can install a clutch fan blower that flows more air over your belt to keep it cool. Its very cheap to do. Some guys have drilled a bunch of 3/4 inch holes in the clutch cover and then put Frogzskin patches over them to keep water and dust out. You can even try taking the clutch cover completely off and running without it if you dont do mud or water riding. The other thing relates to the break in itself. Its been discussed that if you do your break in all at once, that is not a good thing. I broke mine in by doing 6-8 short 5 mile rides. Just enough to fully heat up the belt and then park it and let it cool completely. Those full heat cycles seem like they help to break in the belt properly. Try any or all of the above and hopefully you will have good results. There are units that have had some belt problems for sure, but there are plenty more units that have never had an issue. Good luck......

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I am with Dentless on this it could be heat or alignment issues, sounds like your dealer dont know jack either so if you are doing 40 in low and want to go to high range are you just gonna snatch in high ????? now you need a gearbox!!! they should know the machine needs to be stoped before shifting gears and that puts you back at 0 again so I guess you will never shift into high gear according to them,check with another dealer for warranty issues and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar issue, I blew one belt, and I mean it exploded. The only thing left was belt salad. The dealer cleaned it up put a new belt on it and I have not had any problems since. I have changed my riding habits a little. I use low when I am spending time climbing hills. It blew when I was playing in the hills at the sand dunes riding in high. I have not had a problem since. Good luck. Watch out for trees! We absolutely love our Wildcat. You will get through this problem.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have 1190 mi. On stock belt just ride within the limits of the cat and she will be fine.

This could be the single most ridiculous post I've read on here. LOL

I'm glad that you got 1190 mi out of your stock belt, but many more people are averaging 100 mi or less out of their belts. You have no explanation or understanding why you've gotten so lucky. I use the word "lucky" because you just might have gotten one that was built correctly, which seems to be entirely a matter of luck with these things.

How exactly do you ride outside of the limits of the WC? Once you reach the limits, you cannot exceed the limits because - that's what limits are. If the top speed of a WC is 72 mph, how can you exceed that if that is the top speed??

·
Registered
325 Posts
What if you roll it over? Have you exceeded a limit there? :p

Just messing with ya... I do think luck of the build has something to do with it, as well as how people drive them. Mine never got any special break in. I took it home from the dealer and raced it the following weekend. It's never been babied for a minute and I've never had belt problems. Broke plenty of other stuff tho!!!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
What if you roll it over? Have you exceeded a limit there? :p

Just messing with ya... I do think luck of the build has something to do with it, as well as how people drive them. Mine never got any special break in. I took it home from the dealer and raced it the following weekend. It's never been babied for a minute and I've never had belt problems. Broke plenty of other stuff tho!!!

If you roll it, you exceeded the limits of your talent. LOL!

See, you're another example of a WC with no belt problems. There has to be a logical reason why some are having chronic problems with shredding belts, and others aren't having any problems at all. Part of it might be terrain, (sand dunes are really rough on belts) but we'd have to get a lot of guys to post up a lot of data before we could make any solid correlation between driving style, terrain, or just plain luck of the draw in buying one built on a Wed.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you roll it, you exceeded the limits of your talent. LOL!
HAHAHAHAHA never seem to have enough talent!!

From reading posts, I can see how the average person can think that the Wildcat has widespread belt issues. I wonder what the true percentage is though? I'd guess less than 10%.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.we must be very lucky.bought ours late November 2012 we ride almost every weekend mostly mx in SoCal.6 trips to ocatillo wells.hammer it through 3 foot whoops and carry Spare belt at all times.just must be lucky.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put 2650 mls. on my first belt I then got an all new engine and tranny on oil leak thing and now have 1200+ mls. the new belt. Believe me I'm not babying this thing I run hard and fast. Well...maybe not as hard as some out there.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Thanks for the kind words.we must be very lucky.bought ours late November 2012 we ride almost every weekend mostly mx in SoCal.6 trips to ocatillo wells.hammer it through 3 foot whoops and carry Spare belt at all times.just must be lucky.
For some odd reason, every time I expect something to break and have spare parts and tools it never happens. If I forget them one time it breaks. Happened with a tire and belt with me, so to make them not break I always remember the parts and tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
100 miles on 2013 1/2 x and gernaded a belt. Have read that ur not suppost to maintain a steady speed,,mine is lisc for the road. So is that road riding (steady throttle) gonna burn belts?? Am thinking of installing a blower. I believe I broke the belt in properly...then did some road riding. Question?? OEM belt or gates Carbon??
FYI I also have a 2012 900 RZR...2700 miles, definatly NOT babied and still orginal belt. NOT too happy with 100 Cat and need a belt. Possibility (the machine had 12 dealer miles on it when I bought it) that DEMO rides killed the belt even before I bought it. I'm going with that...for now. Till I get a new one on and break it in myself.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts