Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your 2012 Cat backfires and dont start after that does that mean that it kicked back and probably buggered the case or could it be something else? I just finished spend money on this thing now this :(

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
When your 2012 Cat backfires and dont start after that does that mean that it kicked back and probably buggered the case or could it be something else? I just finished spend money on this thing now this :(
What code's ARE being displayed on the dash?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I turn the key no codes come up, the starter dont turn either :oops:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Thinking the kick back jammed the starter gears and possibly broke the gear shaft boss. Pull the stator cover and look.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking the kick back jammed the starter gears and possibly broke the gear shaft boss. Pull the stator cover and look.
Ya, that's what I was thinking....unfortunately, lol. Thanks for the replies sand-n-sea and Black cat. Just hope it is repairable9Weldable), just spent a few bucks replacing a-arm bushings, tie rods, brakes etc

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like I dodged the bullet this time, only took out the starter and the gear! Looking at getting the starter upgrade but on Country Cat website they say Cat made 4 different starters for this machine and the kit might not have the right starter. Any vendors on here have the same upgrade kit? Thanks "Sand-and-sea" nice to see you are still apart of the forum🤗

Attachments

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Any of the starters will work if you also buy the intermediate gear for it. Get the newest/upgraded set. Faster start (and easier).
LOL, I'm still here! Just on the road most of the week and not so much opportunity to log in.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any of the starters will work if you also buy the intermediate gear for it. Get the newest/upgraded set. Faster start (and easier).
LOL, I'm still here! Just on the road most of the week and not so much opportunity to log in.
Hahahaha, ya never got any feedback from supporting vendors here on our awesome site so I went ahead and ordered the heavy duty starter upgrade with 25% reduction gear from Country Cat. Was contimplating a new one way clutch bearing but thinking with the lower starting gear ratio and making sure I hold the key until the ol girl is good and running should hopefully avoid further kickback issues.....I hope!:p

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The upgraded starter and " I hold the key until the ol girl is good and running should hopefully avoid further kickback issues " is exactly right!

Reactions: Rio

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone tried this procedure? Kind of makes sence, Would take the load across the whole boss instead of just the one side

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
That looks like a great idea!

He was able to drive the reinforcing ring deeper onto the boss than I expected. Looks like the ring could be twice as thick.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like a great idea!

He was able to drive the reinforcing ring deeper onto the boss than I expected. Looks like the ring could be twice as thick.
I just happened to have a 6204 snowmobile bearing that I can cut up. Should strengthen the end of the boss but will it now break closer to the case???

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
It might, but now it will have to pull the entire boss with it instead of just breaking out the top half.

If I still had my X, I would look at reinforcing the stator cover boss as well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It might, but now it will have to pull the entire boss with it instead of just breaking out the top half.

If I still had my X, I would look at reinforcing the stator cover boss as well.
Thanks for your input mbrandt1402, still debating whether to do it or not, have the bearing cut and ready to install, lol. Just worried the damage might be worse, breaking at the case:oops:

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I wonder if the draft angle of the boss is anywhere close to a tapered ream... you might be able to make a full depth collar out of some 6061 aluminum. 7075 even better, but harder to find and more expensive.

Even if a ream widens out faster than the boss does, you could dope it up with JB Weld and get a full length reinforcement.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder if the draft angle of the boss is anywhere close to a tapered ream... you might be able to make a full depth collar out of some 6061 aluminum. 7075 even better, but harder to find and more expensive.

Even if a ream widens out faster than the boss does, you could dope it up with JB Weld and get a full length reinforcement.
I think I am going to try the updated starter/gear first, if the top portion of the boss blows out I will then repare and re-enforce using an aluminum sleeve to hold it all together and JB weld in between them both. The boss is probably the easiest to repair so I don't want to over beef it up because the damage elsewhere could be much worse to repair, lol Hopefully it don't kickback ever again!🥳

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
That old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" might be applicable here. I don't think the updated starter and gear do much to protect that boss. I think the forces at work are largely un-changed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know the starter and gear don't do anything to protect the boss but I am afraid that by beefing up the boss something else more critical might break instead. Lots of force in those kickbacks and it will break something regardless. One of those hard calls, lol

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone had a kickback after beefing up the boss and had nothing else break? is so I will beef up my boss for sure:D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It's been 5 weeks but the starter and gear finally showed up. The gear on the upgraded starter is much more beefier than the stock starter. The main starter gear covers the entire surface of the secondary gear , not like the old one where it only goes part way across. The new secondary starter gear only has 44 teeth as opposed to the OEM which had 58. The description stated that with this upgrade it would be 25% lower gear ratio but I think they got that backward because the lesser the teeth on the second gear the higher the gear ratio. Anyway, intstalled it today and it turns over the cat nice and fast, no hesitation at all, very happy with it.
I also slightly strengthened the boss by JB welding a piece PVC pipe to it, will make it a bit stronger and if it does break it should keep it all together.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts