Wildcat Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Not sure about using the pvc. Google search:
"Traditional product PVC has a maximum operating temperature around 140 °F (60 °C) when heat distortion begins to occur. Melting temperatures range from 212 °F (100 °C) to 500 °F (260 °C) depending upon manufacture additives to the PVC "

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Not sure about using the pvc. Google search:
"Traditional product PVC has a maximum operating temperature around 140 °F (60 °C) when heat distortion begins to occur. Melting temperatures range from 212 °F (100 °C) to 500 °F (260 °C) depending upon manufacture additives to the PVC "
Oooooooh CRAP, didnt even check the melting temp of PVC!!!!! Now I am thinking that was a BAD idea :( Guess I am taking it apart again and cutting that piece of PVC off, dont need melted plastic floating around. Just hope I can re-use the gasket as I cant get another one anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
If its not cooked yet you can likely reuse the gasket. For me, i would be comfortable with rtv black in place of the gasket. I like the concept for reinforcement with the bearing part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in the process of this myself. Waiting on my upgrade kit from MLS. Hope all goes back together with no issues. Did you elongate the mounting holes on the new starter for better engagement?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You do need to elongate the starter mounting holes.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You do need to elongate the starter mounting holes.
Didnt have to with the heavy duty aftermarket upgraded starter and gear. The starter teeth go across the entire width of the starter gear, fully meshed. I posted a close up pic on the other page Sand-n-Sea

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hi Rio, Even if the teeth are completely engaged, is your starter fully seated? I had to elongate the mounting hole to get mine to seat.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I dont quite understand the difference between fully engaged and seated, can you explain please and can you tell by the picture? thanks🤗

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I believe what Sand-n-Sea meant was that the starter gear might be deep enough to have full coverage of the spur gear, but the starter case might not be fully seated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I received my upgrade kit yesterday. MLS had the starter, new gear, and the one way clutch bearing, but not the gasket. Old one is in good shape, so I will just re use it. When fed ex delivered, there was a hole in the box, and you could see the starter sticking out of the hole in the box. Under normal circumstances, I would probably return this kit. But due to the fact that you can’t even find these kits anywhere now, I will go ahead and use it. The starter is scratched up and gouged up pretty good. It almost appears that someone attempted to install this particular starter, and scratched it up trying to get it into place. But due to the fact that you can’t find no more of them, I am going to go ahead and use it. I put everything in place, and it appears that with this upgraded kit the starter gear will have full engagement across the gear. The original starter did not. Right now it does not appear that I will need to elongate the holes. Hopefully the assembly will go good. I will post back after I get it completed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What just happened here? Seriously, you guys know your machine inside and out (literally!). Wow! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I received my upgrade kit yesterday. MLS had the starter, new gear, and the one way clutch bearing, but not the gasket. Old one is in good shape, so I will just re use it. When fed ex delivered, there was a hole in the box, and you could see the starter sticking out of the hole in the box. Under normal circumstances, I would probably return this kit. But due to the fact that you can’t even find these kits anywhere now, I will go ahead and use it. The starter is scratched up and gouged up pretty good. It almost appears that someone attempted to install this particular starter, and scratched it up trying to get it into place. But due to the fact that you can’t find no more of them, I am going to go ahead and use it. I put everything in place, and it appears that with this upgraded kit the starter gear will have full engagement across the gear. The original starter did not. Right now it does not appear that I will need to elongate the holes. Hopefully the assembly will go good. I will post back after I get it completed.
Yes my starter gear fully meshed with the second starter gear also without having to elongate the holes, glad I tried the starter in there first. Looks like you probably have the same starter and gear as me. Yours have 44teeth on secondary starter gear?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes my starter gear fully meshed with the second starter gear also without having to elongate the holes, glad I tried the starter in there first. Looks like you probably have the same starter and gear as me. Yours have 44teeth on secondary starter gear?
Yes 44. Original starter has 58

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
mbrandt1402 is correct on what I meant. Even if the teeth fully mesh, the starter may not be seated against the case (the O-ring end).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
mbrandt1402 is correct on what I meant. Even if the teeth fully mesh, the starter may not be seated against the case (the O-ring end).
I see your point on that but the cast aluminum is thick where the starter goes through the case and the starter cant move. The starter extends into the case but does not fully rest against the back side of it I dont think, couldnt get my fat head in there to see, lol :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
What code's ARE being displayed on the dash?
Well mine just did the same thing today and it is throwing up p90336-90339 codes. Will tear it apart tomorrow with my fingers crossed. I know those are all crank position codes. Does this mean mine case probably broke? Thanks.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts