Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than relocating it, does anyone have any tricks for (helping) keep the radiator from getting clogged with mud so easily? I've heard of people spraying their radiators with diesel fuel to keep mud from sticking to it. Any truth to this? Any other tricks that may help?

·
Administrator
28,002 Posts
Moved to Wildcat Sport

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've alway put window screen in front of rad then when that fills up just pull it kinda like a prefilter
Good idea.

·
Premium Member
8,049 Posts
been thinking since our last rig to buy the outerwear material and secure to the front bumper opening when any chance of mud comes in to play...

·
Administrator
28,002 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yeah I also questioned the thread move. Talking about radiator care is what I would consider general catagory stuff. You also moved my thread when I was talking about synthetic oil brands. I deliberately placed it in general talk because it applies across the board for all ATVs. And I wanted to place my break in advice thread under general as well, but figured it would just be moved to here so I just went with it and posted under sport. I may be new to this forum but I'm a long time forum user. I've probably got over 10000 posts under my belt. And in my experience the location where I placed my oil thread was the correct one. I don't mind looking at both the general thread and the sport specific one on this site. I just don't think it's logical to place everyone's general atv utv comments under the section of the machine they own. If it's not sport model specific then it belongs in general. So in fact you should be moving threads in the other direction if you wish to follow standard forum protocol. There are some in here that are not specific to the sport model at all.

Reactions: Jake

·
Administrator
28,002 Posts
Yeah I also questioned the thread move. Talking about radiator care is what I would consider general catagory stuff. You also moved my thread when I was talking about synthetic oil brands. I deliberately placed it in general talk because it applies across the board for all ATVs. And I wanted to place my break in advice thread under general as well, but figured it would just be moved to here so I just went with it and posted under sport. I may be new to this forum but I'm a long time forum user. I've probably got over 10000 posts under my belt. And in my experience the location where I placed my oil thread was the correct one. I don't mind looking at both the general thread and the sport specific one on this site. I just don't think it's logical to place everyone's general atv utv comments under the section of the machine they own. If it's not sport model specific then it belongs in general. So in fact you should be moving threads in the other direction if you wish to follow standard forum protocol. There are some in here that are not specific to the sport model at all.
So straight up, this forum isn't like other forums, and we don't follow anybody else's protocol. I look to see what the member has for a UTV. Then I place it in that sub section. I don't need a member telling me where threads should and shouldn't go. I put them in the appropriate section so when it falls off the active page, members know where to go to find it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I use a bass boat bilge pump to wash radiator when trail riding
Just extend the wiring and plug into outlet on dash, put a plastic hose about 10' long on the pump and anyone that needs to clean
their radiator just toss the pump into the creek, plug it in and start washing. You could wash your ride with it if you wish. Always a creek nearby
where we are riding. Works great.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I know some guys that use a pesticide sprayer. It get's double duty. They pour ice water from the cooler in it and spray the girls as they drive by.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Some have made radiator shrouds to help stop mud from splashing into the fan area and clogging. I'm in mud and water a lot and only once have I had temperatures going up more often with radiator fan kicking in more than usual. Wash out with water hose that evening and next day was 100% better. Anytime I run in a lot of mud at end of day when I clean I always runs water through the fins. Seems to discourage any problems popping up.

·
Administrator
28,002 Posts
Hollywood why do u move other peoples posts but not others. Just asking
May I ask what you are pertaining too? I move threads to the areas I believe they belong in.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I use a old '98 Ford F150 washer reservoir that I put a pesticide sprayer on the washer side and made a long cord with a lighter plug for the power. I keep it in the trunk and it holds close to a gallon of water that I can fill up when Im at a creek. Seems we are always having problems when we are in the hills and not when we are around the creeks. It makes enough pressure to clean the rad off but not enough to blast the big stuff off so just enough time and it comes off, the wand helps get in through the grill to get to the hard to reach areas of the rad.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Big cat already has rad located in right spot, and rarely gets clogged. this thread doesn't apply to all cats

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some have made radiator shrouds to help stop mud from splashing into the fan area and clogging. I'm in mud and water a lot and only once have I had temperatures going up more often with radiator fan kicking in more than usual. Wash out with water hose that evening and next day was 100% better. Anytime I run in a lot of mud at end of day when I clean I always runs water through the fins. Seems to discourage any problems popping up.
I have the shrouds on the side. I always hose out the radiator after a ride but it's tough to get the corners good. I need to start removing the front grill every time I clean. I think the corners kept building up coverage & it finally caught up with me & ran hot. After cleaning out the corners it runs cool again.

Reactions: dragongunner

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
If you're always in the mud and deeper water to get those fins coated you may just want to move it to the trunk area. Think a couple guys have done it along with the speedwerx machine -

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have also moved my oil cooler to the upper part of the front chassis where the under hood box goes to stop the mud from collecting in between the rads. I noticed if you have the front bumper on blocking access to the rad and restricting some air flow and the oil cooler collects some mud it works out to about half of the rad is clear enough to flow air. When I took my rad out to move the oil cooler it was plugged off pretty good because you couldnt get to it all with the bumper and the grill in the way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
radiator mud

I have also moved my oil cooler to the upper part of the front chassis where the under hood box goes to stop the mud from collecting in between the rads. I noticed if you have the front bumper on blocking access to the rad and restricting some air flow and the oil cooler collects some mud it works out to about half of the rad is clear enough to flow air. When I took my rad out to move the oil cooler it was plugged off pretty good because you couldnt get to it all with the bumper and the grill in the way.
mud in radiator so bad, cannot even get back to camp, that is after the first hole. so end of day cleaning wont do. moving to truck is best option. anyone done it yet?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts