Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone! So I have a 2018 wildcat 4x and It has 2 different size tires on it. There are large tires on the back and smaller ones on the front. What is the reason for this? Now I have to carry 2 spares? I have also seen pictures of where the large tires are on the front vs the back. Is there a reason for this or is it just personal preference?

·
Administrator
27,613 Posts
Welcome boots67. The reasoning is that the smaller wheel / tire set up in the front makes the car easier to steer, with less wear and tear on the components, ie. steering box, tie rods, bushings, etc. If you plan on carrying a spare, carry a front wheel / tire set up. You can mount that front or back. Hopefully you are looking into harnesses and a harness bar for your car.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
You can add spacers on the rear and run the same size all the way around, I did it on both of mine..

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
On vehicles with a big difference in front axle weight vs. rear axle weight wider tires are often spec'd on the heavier end to balance handling.

The two seat X carries a lot of weight at the rear. The 4X might be better balanced. Quite a few people do put the same size tire all the way around when they buy replacements on Xs and 4Xs.

The key thing on most side-by-sides is that there is no differential between the axles - one rotation at the rear will always be one rotation at the front. The height or circumference of the tires needs to be the same front to back.

An interesting bit of trivia as far as vehicles with wider tires at one end: most people immediately think of sports cars with wide rear tires, but there were some high HP front drive GM sedans that ran wider tires at the front, due to the front weight bias and the power they were trying to put down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts