Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you change your tires to a larger size, ie 28" from stock 26", if you have to modify the clutch due the the effective gearing change to larger tires. Or does 2" have no effect on the gearing. I had a old truck that I went from 33" to 35" tires and it made the transmission have to shift alot to compensate when going uphill. Once I changed out the rearend gearing to 4:11's the problem was solved. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you do have to modify the clutch gearing then! Figured as much. The dealership said "Oh no, you won't need to do anything!" Any idea what I would have to do if I decide to go to a larger tire?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
No, you don't have to........ Should you?......Yes you should. Just going to a heavier tire via the ply rating from 4, OEM to a 6 or especially 8 ply will make a big difference in the feel of the machine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
tires

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle All-terrain vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Tire
Ok I went from a 26" sand tire to a 28" Moapa tire and just lost a very tiny bit off the low end take off from a dead stop other than that i gained ground clearance like a big dog.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
You might think you lost only a tiny bit until you either go back to stock tires or race someone with stock tires, then you will see what you lost. Acceleration after moving definitely tails off tremendously the larger tire you run.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the info. Since I bought the extended warranty, I guess I'll just leave things the way they are for now. I do have a question however. I'm mechanically inclined but am new to the whole CVT tranny scene. I was reading another thread that was discussing removing a pair of weights to lighten the spring load. I understand how the weights affect the clutch but they were also talking about reclocking the secondary as did JRW above. What exactly does that mean? It was an older post in September and I didn't want to chime in late and all.

·
Registered
345 Posts
the secondary is almost wound like a clock. the tighter the spring the longer it stays in low gear....

so if you reclock the spring either you will get it shifting slower or faster... depending on which way you move the spring....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So when they are talking about reclocking A1 to C1, is that actually changing the spring?

Oh and one more stupid newby question. Is it okay to shift from 2wd to 4wd while in motion? I'm sort of old school where in the old days you had to come to a complete stop and sometimes go in reverse for a few feet before you switched. Just want to make sure before I grind something up.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
The 2-4-2 shift can be done at any speed so long as the front and rear tires are going the same speed.
So no shifting under hard acceleration / deceleration or tight corners. The front diff lock can only be
shifted when you are at a complete stop.

·
Registered
227 Posts
So when they are talking about reclocking A1 to C1, is that actually changing the spring?Oh and one more stupid newby question. Is it okay to shift from 2wd to 4wd while in motion? I'm sort of old school where in the old days you had to come to a complete stop and sometimes go in reverse for a few feet before you switched. Just want to make sure before I grind something up.
There is no spring change. It repositions the spring for more preload. It resists gearing change a little more. It will stay in a lower gear ratio. When I did mine, I clocked it to the next position from stock. That gave me a bunch more low end torque and really woke it up. But it limited my top speed. Stock I could hit 72-73 and now it tops out at about 65-66. Bigger tires would probably correct this gearing change close to stock top speeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.