Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I took a drive across town to see the new Wildcat at the Demo Days event held here in LHC.

Although they were hosting rides today -- I declined as I can't take the desert dust.

The Artic Cat folks were extremly friendly and to the best of their knowledge -- Answered questions.

I had a few questions that I wanted to research when I got to see one in person. Thankfully - They left a couple behind for a couple of us to spend some time with.

I won't repeat what others have commented on -- But just offer my opinion/view on a couple of points.

I sat in a Green unit -- Looking at the "A" pillar drivers side just up from the dash in the lower bend -- The tubing had 3 wrinkles in it. The other side had 2 and not quite as noticable. This unit may have been rolled and I forgot to compare to the other unit.

The plastic body is comprised of many individual pieces all bolted together. Damage one and that single piece can be replaced.

The duck bill front fenders to me look out of place for me as a Dunner. 2 solutions -- Remove or on the back side drill 3 holes -- The shape is a triangle so 1 large hole 1 medium and 1 small and cover with a polished Stainless ring with a Stainless mesh insert. Would look good and let the trapped air pass thru at speed.

The fuel tank - As you know .. It's in the rear. In my opinion -- It is somewhat exposed .. Especially the lower right. I could see some better protection from Artic Cat on this. Or -- Simply remove the bed floor - Remove the tank and replace with a foam fuel cell.

Fuel fill -- Mounted on top of the right rear fender. Filling from a 5 gal race jug may be a bit problematic for some.

This is the last stop for these pre-production machines. After this weekend -- They go to various aftermarket vendors to upfit their new products. Being this machine doesn't need doors or push bars or L.E.D lights -- That leaves the engine and turbo development -- This is my hope anyway !!

Not much of a review to this point I know -- Butt .. Here is the real reason I made this post. I had my small pocket camera with me and took a couple of pic's and made this rather crude pic video. One thing unique to this event as compared to all previous Artic Cat events is the Show n Shine and who was there.

AZ West - The local Polaris Dealer .. .. Had on display -- Not only several models of the Polaris RzR for all to view -- Butt ..... As they are also an Artic Cat Dealer AND a Wildcat Dealer -- Had sever Artic Cat models INCLUDING a Wildcat on display. And to the best that I could -- I tried to capture both the XP and Wildcat in several pic's so one can see how they both visually compare/differ.

Here's the link to the video ........

The Forum would not let me post the video link as I don't have enough posts registered -- So I'll make another post with the link !!

That's my contribution -- For what it's worth ........
:)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
thanks for helping me feed my addiction. cant get enough of this cat! you know, i was convinced my next ride was gonna be an xp900,...till i saw this cat, i decided to hold off getting the xp till i could see the cat was a reality. the xp really looks awesome and its a fine ride, but this cat has so much of what i like in a sxs, low center of gravity, awesome suspension, etc etc, and so much hp potential. to get the same ride on an xp i think it would cost me 5-6 grand more to get what comes stock with the cat.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Thanks for the pics. The XP looks so much taller and narrower (especially in the cockpit area) when you see them together. That was a good looking XP though. I'm sure it was 20k!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought somebody might get a Tickle -- From the pic's .. .. :D

Couple other points - For what they're worth .......

In talking to one Rep -- A very nice fellow by the way from Washington ............ He immediately understood my position as we briefly talked about my vehicle and my background -- -- He alluded to the fact that Artic Cat is working on the next generation of the Wildcat. And to this end -- If what he was alluding to comes to be ......... Well -- Lets just say ....... HOLD ON !!

On another note -- An observation really and I'm not 100% sure this happened .........

While deep in thought by myself evaluating a Green machine -- A few riders were getting ready to go out for a Putt -- All those machines were in a line about 45' from me. As the fellow got in the last machine - A Black one .. .. He started it up -- I had turned around and was facing the passengers door - Again about 45' away .. Then he put it into gear.

What I saw was the R/R drive wheel studder/chatter as it moved fractionally. I don't mean the tire turned -- I mean the tire moved forward/rearward fractionally - Then he gave a bit of fuel and the machine moved on.

I have a lingering question on Artic Cat using rubber bushings at each suspension point. These machines as one knows - Have had their share of life beat out of them. I am thinking the rubber bushings are showing their wear. Time will tell as these machines get into customers hands and driven.

What I wished happened to these machines is - Instead of going to companies and used as templets for future aftermarket products -- Send back to Artic Cat for complete dis-assembly and evaluation. Especially since the Artic Cat Rep's aren't engineers.

Think I'll take another look at um tomorrow ............

Did hear production starts tomorrow - Thats on the 1st 250 ..........

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Hi Sparky, thanks for the information. As you can imagine, several of us are buying the early release models of the WC. The last thing we want to experience is buying a turd version of this vehicle only to watch the 2013 model smoke the version. Please tell us what you know or to what you are drawing a conclusion.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RPM --

I'd prefer not to speculate or repeat what the Rep and I were discussing. I'll just leave you with this one thought -- What has Artic Cat done that no other sled manfacturer has done to date ??

Because of Fed regulations on vehicle manufacturing -- All manufactures have to adhear to certain rules. So -- Artic Cat has offered us a platform to build off of. Most everything is there except hi horsepower - And the aftermarket will take care of this.

One other tidbit I noticed is - All drivetrain components are bolted directly to the frame. I didn't see any rubber bushed mounts used. Since no one has commented on any vibration -- This perhaps isn't an issue. I am wondering though - When the HP is turned up if there are going to be any issues then. I'm going to take a closer look at this today on my return trip back.

Hey Cliff --

You and I are going to like the seating position much better than what we both now have. The vehicle is a bit more difficult to get in/out as one has to lift the legs over the lower frame bar and body section. Not really an issue - Just something I noticed yesterday getting in/out.

Once in though -- One really notices sitting lower and being comfortable and all controlls are in easy reach. Also the foot pedels are far enough forward where the legs are stretched out and feels very comfortable.

The view forward is not impeeded by the "A" pillars of the rollbar as compared to the RzR. The field of view is more open.

This vehicle reminds me of a sand rail - Just a much smaller version.

One thing though that I'm not thrilled about is - The declared weight of the vehicle. I could see a 3rd party manfacturer come out with a chromemolly tube frame and trim off a couple hundred pounds.

Gotta GO -- Time for another look see ........... :D

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I
What I saw was the R/R drive wheel studder/chatter as it moved fractionally. I don't mean the tire turned -- I mean the tire moved forward/rearward fractionally - Then he gave a bit of fuel and the machine moved on.

I have a lingering question on Artic Cat using rubber bushings at each suspension point. These machines as one knows - Have had their share of life beat out of them. I am thinking the rubber bushings are showing their wear. Time will tell as these machines get into customers hands and driven.
I never had any problems with the bushings on my previous 2 Prowlers. Of course, I did put long travel on one of them though. But I have never heard complaints regarding the bushings either. And keep in mind that these demo machines probably have more abuse, hours, and miles on them than mine will after 3 or 4 years! I would never go out and test drive a 70,000 mile Corvette that was used at Bondurant School of High Performance Driving and use it as a comparison for buying a brand new one. These machines are rode hard and put up wet, and we are comparing them to a new unit. They should realistically be compared to a 5 year old UTV.................

·
Registered
945 Posts
Very nice vid/pic's, Sparky! Your write up is excellent, as you looked at and pondered a number of areas that I have been wondering about. There is a thread on the site where we asked questions about the Wildcat and the suspension bushings were one of the questions. However, an answer was given stating that the bushings on the Wildcat are pretty much a non-wear item......guess time will tell.

As far as the fuel tank goes, I know that I'll be making up some sort of protection piece for this area as it would only take one stick at the right angle to put a hole in it....not good!

Thanks again Sparky for your time and observations!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greetings Wildcat Addicts -- --

Thought I'd make another post -- Problem is ....... I don't have anything to write about .. .. Butt >> :p

This morning I decided to have a 2nd look and decided to brave the early morning elements and take my Classic RzR over to the event -- The ride over was a little "Fresh" as it was a bit chilly out .......... Butt -- Just for you folks I braved the elements and made the drive on the Highway over - And compared my Classic RzR to the Wildcat.

I'd like to thank the fine folks attending the event -- And the Artic Cat representatives -- For allowing me to interupt their schedule and allow me to put my Ol Beater next to their machines and snap a couple of pic's for you fine folks -- Who just can't seem to get enough of the Wildcat .. .. :cool:

A question was asked of me concerning the doors and if there is clearance when one uses a flat bed trailer with 1' stake sides -- Can the door be opened on the trailer. The answer is YES !! !! Check the vid for a pic illustrating.

I made an earlier comment on the suspension being rubber bushed. I took a couple of pic's to help illustrate the attachment points. Upon further examination -- Although I believe to be true what I observed yesterday -- Upon further inspection -- I don't believe this to be an issue. The bushings also look to be easy to replace if needed as the years go by.

Another observation I had made was -- The drivetrain components are solid mounted to the frame. I snapped a couple of pic's illustrating. I still have a question on this when the HP is turned up. The engine is tall and this is quite a lever on the bottom supported mounts. Time will tell !!

A few pic's snapped in a hurry and compiled into a rather poor video - For your edification .. .. .. :rolleyes:

Although I didn't see Trey from MCX -- He did have his Red Rocket XP on display. Snapped a couple of pic's for the end of the video. Slick setup -- Looked GREAT !! !!

Bout it from this end ...... One final comment to those of you who ordered sight unseen and didn't demo .. .. .. You won't be disappointed --- And I hope each will offer their opinion when you have a bit of seat time !!

To be continued .......

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dave, does the clutch look easy to access for belt changes and tuning?
Any signs of melting plastics from hot exhaust pipes?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd prefer not to speculate or repeat what the Rep and I were discussing. I'll just leave you with this one thought -- What has Artic Cat done that no other sled manfacturer has done to date ??
hhmmm, let me guess... Is Arctic Cat the only mfr to offer a factory turbo on a stock sled? :confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Clifford,
Polaris has offered a factory turbo. So that would not be it.
Guess I'll have to do some prying with the reps to see what this could be.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the pix!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Cliff -- Although I looked at the CVT cover - I didn't spend much time evaluating it's removal. My impression is it's quite accessable. For my purpose -- I was looking to modify it as I've done mine. And this will be extremly easy.

I also asked the Rep about the CVT exhaust and does it have a secondary purpose as does the XP. Not the case here as the exhaust exits to the rear and under the CVT cover.

One note though -- For those who will leave the factory CVT snorkeling in place -- When the Rep grabed one snorkel -- It could be wiggled with no effort. For me - They will both be coming off.

No melting of the plastics that I could see. Of special importance -- I looked very carefully at the exhaust outer canister and it's very close proximity to the left side of the fuel tank. There is an aluminum piece acting as a barrier with a very small air gap again for a heat barrier. For me -- When Turbo'd .. .. The exhaust will have far greater clearance between it and the fuel tank.

Your Welcome Bob .... Glad you enjoyed .. .. :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Another observation I had made was -- The drivetrain components are solid mounted to the frame. I snapped a couple of pic's illustrating. I still have a question on this when the HP is turned up. The engine is tall and this is quite a lever on the bottom supported mounts. Time will tell !!To be continued .......
Sparky, I did the Demo ride here in GA and did notice a fair amount of vibration in the floor and through the seat. It was one of the items I wrote down on my exit survey. It was really the only bad thing I had to say. I have not driven any of the RzR's and ride an AC 500m as my ride so I can't offer an opinion as to power. It felt good to me but not sure how it stacks up. I can say the suspension is unbelievable and you got to get it to the ground no matter how much power you make. I believe this will get it to the ground! I even got yelled at for layin back and then given it hell. They didn't like how fast I went over one of the jumps. Wife failed to tell me we had a rep behind us as well as the one we had to follow. The jump was smooth as silk.
P.S. It seems to drive smaller than it is if that makes sense. When you see it by its self it looks really big compared toan ATV. When you see it next to an XP it looks smaller even though it is a foot longer. It drove small. It was very roomy too. I go about 6 ft and 300 lbs. no problems in or out. Only thing that bothered me was the door pull in the inside. My left knee kept banging into it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One of them I was in today had about 1500 miles on it---So I assume the others do too---They seem to be holding up real well so far---And yes the clutch cover, oil filter and air filter(box) all seem very easy to access.

Happy

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
You are quite the contributer, Sparky. Your efforts are sincerely appreciated. So, is the 2013 going to come with a turbo? If you are not comfortable offering up your intelligence, then how about telling me if I can retrofit the '13 turbo on my '12 WC? :cool:

Appreciate the recon.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Sparky,
If you won't share with us what was said then why did you even mention it? Come on spill the beans with what was said.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts