1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Well:D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hopefully you get to ride it faster than we did.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Donkey,
Have a good trip and enjoy yourself. Maybe you can learn a little more about what is going on and when they are going to deliver them to the dealers (Since your one). Take lots of pictures and share them when you get back.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well got to drive this machine yesterday . And I must say wow I have to work with acat today helping the demo ride. So I will find out what I can for you guys. But I will tell you I was amazed by this machine.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Donkey,
Glad you had a good time yesterday. Can't wait for your full report of your impression of the Wildcat. Look forward to hearing what you find out about the Wildcat for us. Try asking again about the air intake if you read this today.
See ya soon and have fun today.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i drove the wildcat today, the suspension was unbelievealby smooth, i was giddy over it, the whoops get whooped by the cat... but....the power is severely lacking. the shifter is really tall and seems like it could easily be pushed forward into low by accident. hardly any front fenders. tons of leg room for you tall guys, but please artic cat, do something for the engine or your showroom will remain full. the only drawback for me to purchase one is the lack of power., i had a total boner for the wildcat, but after driving it ,,,i went soft. sorry to you wildcat fenatics, but i call it like it drove it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Pawnman,
It has been discussed a lot-Check out the thread "Wildcat HP Numbers" Here is one qoute from it.
i am just a guy that knows a thing or two about clutches cant say much more than that right now. sorry.

you do not have to change the arctic cat clutch like you are thinking. what i am talking about is machining the clutch. by machining the clutch you can make the belt drop lower in the primary gaining a lower gear ratio thru the clutch. also machining the clutches and re-working them you can gain a taller gear ratio thru the clutch. i have specialized in the arctic cats for years now and know them in and out. i am headed next friday and sat to do some clutch testing on the wildcat to get my setups ready for production models.

dont worry about this machine, everyone right now is skeptical and worried about this or that, i can assure you it is a flat out monster. the machines being driven at the "test rides" that everyone is claiming lack power and are slow have been intentionally turned down. i talked to one of the cat engineers yesterday he said out of his own mouth, we got the pre-production units out there just to let people get the feel for them. they are not a direct reflection of the power its going to make come production. i know exactly what they have in the pipe line and whats finda hit the fan. i can assure you these machines are BAD!!
I am still willing to bet the Wildcat will be a good machine. But if it doesn't turn your crank so be it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well guys sorry about my late response . I drove this thing a bunch and rhode with consumers of the weekend. And I must say these things handle like a dream. The seats are comfortable and the overall look is great. I keep hearing people worry about the front fenders. After driving one for around 45 min in the dunes there was hardly any sand in the floor. And the sand was really soft this weekend so I was impressed. Now the suspension on this cat is like no other I could not believe the ride. We were hitting the woops through a corner and this thing just soaked it up and railed the the corners. I took a ride in a xp and a rzr s and they are fast and impressed me but does not handle like the cat. Now the power in the cat was hard to judge. Due to the fact we where running stock knobbies in really loose sand. But they did seem to be a little restricted by the ECM. I say this because as a a cat dealer I've rhode the xtz prowler 1000 and know what the engine sounds like and runs like. And these demo units have been rhode hard and don't appear to be falling apart. My overall opinion is this machine is like no other and will be the side by side to own. I feel like a cat has restricted the demo units due to people crashing them. I'm confident that these will not dissapoint when they hit the dealers. I have some good videos to post so you can see for yourself.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got two rides at Waynoka on the "Cat". The first one was a dealer ride, no restrictions from the co-rider. We played follow the leader and ran the big dunes, swooped, and hit the trails. I was a gonner after about 50 feet down the access road! Never have I ridden anything with suspension like this! I was letting off the gas at the bottom on the dunes to avoid the g-out problems, soon found out I didn't have to slow down, the suspension just ate it up. I thought the long travel suspension might not work as well on the trails, too much roll-over but this thing stays flat and you could run really hard through the corners. I had to be a little careful with the power steering. One of the big complaints I have with my RZR is the slowness of the steering, the "Cat" has much quicker steering and caused me a few oversteering problems. It's just a matter of getting used to it. I'm fine with the power, it did everything I wanted too faster than I could do it in my RZR (well, maybe not drag racing but I don't care about that). It was dark before the ride ended. One of my comments on the after ride survey was about the lighting, I don't think its very good. I'd also like to see more handholds for the passenger, adjustable seats (the seats are great!), and provisions to allow mounting 4 or 5 point harness sets.
The second ride was the one most of the public will get. It was tightly controlled by the co-rider. That was ok with me because the only thing I wanted to test was how well it would do in 2 wheel drive mode. The co-rider wanted me to use 4 wheel but I insisted on 2 wheel. Very seldom do I use 4 wheel drive on the RZR so I wanted to see the comparison. Well, it was pretty impressive in spite of the co-rider wanting me to slow down most of the time:rolleyes:. My local dealer isn't open today (Monday) so I'll probably stop by tomorrow to see about putting down a deposit, the missus didn't go with me but she seems to be agreeable. I think the smooth ride is probably the thing she likes most.
One other thing, this thing is all tube frame unlike the RZR's sheet metal frame. As someone who has spent their life fabricating motorcycles, sand buggies, race cars, and many other things, the tube frame is important to me. Artic Cat did this right. By the way I'm not a dealer, haven't owned any Artic Cat products, don't own part of the company and haven't been paid to say any of this (but if they want to send me some money I won't turn it down:rolleyes:).

Dwight

·
Registered
791 Posts
Donkey & Dwight thanks for your review and Donkey I look forward to seeing your pictures. As a dealer it is nice to hear what you think of the Wildcat and of the power in compairison to the Prowler.
Does anyone know if the ECM is sealed (Waterproofed) since it is under the seat? I know they can do that so hopefully they have since it is in such a exposed spot.

Dwight,
What kind of RZR do you own? I too felt like the WC had the speed even though the power wasn't noticable. I was do 50-60+ before I knew it and was slowing down thinking the suspension couldn't take the bumps only to find out it could. It sounds like your final thoughts are about the same as mine. Welcome to the list of future WC owners. And again thanks to both of you for your reviews.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Sweet info, Donkey and Dwight!! Thanks so much for your time and comments!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great info! Thanks for your input!!! The suspension sounds great!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wanted to add my 2cents to Dwight`s input since I was in one of the cats with him out on the night ride.The power will fool you since it is so quiet. You don`t think you are going very fast since it is so smooth and you don`t hear motor noise but when I checked the speed we were on the plus side of 60 several times and there was very little sensation of speed.Ran 45 to 55 thru entry road whoops with out any sensation of speed - took some time to adjust to steering, I over compensated when we first started to press the corners - felt to me that front end pushed some on loose sand corners - it only took a few corners to get the feel and then it turned good.I agree with Dwight that there needs to be a hand hold for the passenger not for the rough ride but to keep their hands off the gear shift - 4/5 point harness bar or brackets - let us buy our own harness. I thought lighting was good but not great I was able to see well after dark but was not the lead cat so I had one set of cat lights in front of me which gave me plenty of vision. For me the power was spot on - you could really push the cat -not just brake - point and shoot. No doubt there is alot of HP there ready to be unleashed. I also am not a dealer nor do I work for AC although I found all of the AC personel at the test ride to be very friendly, courteous and knowledgeable.I have been offroading for over 40 years and the wild cat is the best all around that I have driven.Thanks for reading - just my opinion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One other thing I forgot to note. The odometer on both of the cats that I drove showed over 600 miles with one of them almost 700 and they were still quiet.I heard brake squeal on one when someone came back from a test ride and I got belt chirp once on top of dune after using brakes and immediately accelerating hard down back side. I also think there will be a wild cat in our family in 2012. Dave

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can bet the demos werent broken in right and were beat to hell and back. Although I did see some paint missing that could easily have been from damage and then a pressure washer, I was impressed with how they looked to hold up after some abuse.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts