Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my local dealer today to ask if there was any word on delivery yet for the Wildcat, not really thinking that there was anything new that they could tell me. First words out of his mouth was that they just got one "TODAY"!!! My first words were "No Shit"!!!;) Guess I'm gonna have to go down there tomorrow to get a Wildcat fix. I also asked if they would mind if I took some measurements and pic's, no problem! he said. As far as delivery, he led me to believe that some "Early Order Wildcats" should be shipping in January!!! I'm glad I called.:cool:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow that was unexpected.

·
Registered
791 Posts
WildOffRoad,
Yes please post pictures and any info you can find out. This waiting is going to be bad enough but if I had a dealer that was close enough for me to be able to go to and they had a display model I don't know if that would be worse or better. I know I have 5 months before I will be sitting in mine. Look forward to seeing what you can find out.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Where your dealer at?
Country Cat, Sauk Centre MN. This might not really be all that unexpected considering the dealership is owned by the 4 Time World Champion PJ Wanderscheid and family. They are the #1 Arctic cat dealer in the country 2 years in a row and are celebrating their 20th year in business. The dealership has racing sleds and trophies everywhere. I'll run down tomorrow and check it out.

I was kinda shocked when he told me they had one and forgot to ask if it was a Demo unit or an actual Display model.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WildOffRoad,
Yes please post pictures and any info you can find out. This waiting is going to be bad enough but if I had a dealer that was close enough for me to be able to go to and they had a display model I don't know if that would be worse or better. I know I have 5 months before I will be sitting in mine. Look forward to seeing what you can find out.
You've mentioned your remoteness before...I envision you as a neighbor to Ted (the unabomber guy) Kaczynski :rolleyes:...Growing up in Minnesota, Arctic cat was everywhere. I still have my choice of 6 or 8 Dealers within an hours drive. The closest one is one of the best in the Country...sometimes you get lucky.

·
Registered
791 Posts
You've mentioned your remoteness before...I envision you as a neighbor to Ted (the unabomber guy) Kaczynski :rolleyes:...Growing up in Minnesota, Arctic cat was everywhere. I still have my choice of 6 or 8 Dealers within an hours drive. The closest one is one of the best in the Country...sometimes you get lucky.
Hehehe,
I really don't live in the sticks but some days I feel like I do. We actually have a Arctic Cat dealer in town 15 miles away but he is WORTHLESS and the funny thing is that at the demo ride the reps there knew who he is and were like "Is he even a dealer anymore? That guy is bad news." If that tells you anything. There are Arctic Cat dealers 1 or 2 hours away too but NONE of them are getting Wildcats. The last time I checked there were NO AC dealers in Washington who are buying into the Wildcat program. So it isn't that I don't have a dealer close by it is that the closest one who is buying into the Wildcat program is over 5 hours away. AC's are popular out here too as far as their sleds go. The mountain sleds get a lot of use here between them and Polaris they rule the hills.

·
Registered
686 Posts
i was told that the "display units" that will be shipped to dealers first will be the same exact models as the current demos that are running around the country. these dealer display units are "not for sale" i was told. i am not a dealer so i dont have complete confirmation of what the dealers are told this is just what i was told.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yep it would be nice if someone closer would step up. I just looked again and the dealer listing now says the Omak dealer is going to sell them. He is only about a 100 miles away. I am going to try calling him tomorrow and see if it is true. I find it hard to believe that a little shop is going to get one but maybe?? Hopefully he is really getting one so I'll have a closer dealer to go to.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I was at rt&t in Muskogee today, and according to ac, production wasn't supposed to start until the week after thanksgiving, and that dealers would be getting a display model to do as they please. If they choose to sell it, they can, but then they wouldn't have anything for people to see or test drive when they come looking. It is supposed to be a full production, not a demo like the ride demo units. There is always still the chance that the ride demo machines won't be different other than minor tweaks like a passenger hand hold.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I am also now the proud new owner of......A piece of paper......that says I am in line for, my wildcat. So while I was there, Donkey put me in an xtz 1000. Let me just say if that motor went straight in wildcat, I'd be pleased. It almost popped a wheelie taking off in high or low gear. It's an animal, which means the wildcat should be wicked in full production since its that motor with a better head and more aggressive cam setup.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree although I havent personally driven a 1000 prowler I have seen several videos of them and they look pretty stout power wise. I just wonder what exactly they have going on in these demos everyones been riding to make them on the soft side.

·
Registered
686 Posts
today i was testing on the wildcats, on the very same models every one of the guys on this forum has been driving, the 6 units that are currently running cross country at demos. first thing i did was to see how they are running i flipped the speed-o over to the tach setting and rode around warming the engine up. after i heard the fans click on i knew the engine was warm and i started a few full throttle pulls to see what kinds RPMs the clutching was turning. i was BLOWN AWAY at how watered down these guys had the machines from the get-go. i literally stopped and laughed a minute.

the current engine being run in the pre-production models is a direct off the assembly line prowler XTZ 1000 engine. this engine makes its peak power at around 6300RPM. therefore if you want to make peak power thru the clutches, when you stab the throttle you want to be pulling 6300-6400RPM. the 4 machines i ran all were in the neighborhood of 5100-5400RPM. the clutches are weighted down very heavily in order to make the engine not rev to its powerband. the clutches are either intentionally dumbed down to keep the engine from turning its peak power in order to slow the machines down and keep them manageable for the demo rides, or the clutching guy at arctic cat has gotten dumber since the last time i saw him screwing up. in order to make the engine turn a higher RPM and get more power to the ground you simply change the way the clutches operate and change the weights to increase shiftout RPMs.

i have not dyno'd a production wildcat engine, but i have dyno'd the XTZ prowler and Tcat 1000 engine and at their peak power (6300) they make about 55hp to the tire. having these clutches watered down so that you are only turning 5100RPM means the engine is not reving anywhere near its powerband, and more than likely only producing somewhere in the 45hp to the tire range. these machines everyone has been driving and complaining about the lack of power is not because the engine does not make good power, its cause the current clutch setup in the demos is watered down and dumbed up so that the engine wont rev and really make any power. very simple fix for me.

i was also told the "production" engines are making 88-91hp on the crank dyno in house right now. the current engine in the demos is supposedly a good bit different than the production model, as there is a good bit more power cranked out of the production engine setup. the prowler XTZ 1000 engine that is in the demos makes about 70hp at the crank on a good day, and with the watered down clutch setup running over 1000RPM below peak power is likely only putting around 45hp to the tire. cant wait till a production model hits the floors so i can confirm a few things that the engineers would not/could not tell me today.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts