Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me more about this? How does it work? Does it have a speed limit for operation? Are there any issues with it? Any known weakness?
I hope this is in the right area.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Cant Tell You Much On This But I Will Say Be Carefull With PS I Have Forgot To Take Out Of Dif Lock End Drove 40 mpr With It Lock
Love The PS & I Have 28s On My 700s & Have Had No Dif Problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Usually when I have nothing good to say I think pure thoughts and get on with life. But…. :p

Personally in my experience, Arctic Cat’s current lineup of front diff’s is a joke, especially the design of the diff lock. The diff lock may function for a reasonable length of time on

a 300cc or under machine on stock tires but add some torque or beefy tires and itjust gives up.

Add some wear on the diff bearings and on the stupid teeth in the diff and axle, and no lock for you. :mad:

Hopefully something has been changed on the Wildcat. Not going to hold my breath.

I am looking forward to it’s release, although the 20 inch wheelbase increase from my busted Prowler ,sitting in my garage for the last two months, may kill it for me ??

I’m done, just a little vent…feel better now. :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Must Of Had A Bad One
I Play In The Mud Not Water Have Had 2 08 650 & 2 10 700s My 700 Has Over 1000 Miles With 28 MST & Have Had NP With Dif Lock
My 08 Had ///Airdam Love To Them With NP With 28s On Mine So IMO The Difs Are Fine

·
Registered
945 Posts
My '06 Prowler has 6,000 miles on it. The diff lock still works just fine......just stating the fact. I have never run it engaged for miles and miles, nor at any high speeds. Engage it to crawl over, or pull through .....then disengage.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Same here. Never had a problem with my front diff locking or staying locked on my Prowler 1000. And it had plenty of power. I never went fast with it locked, but I was usually in low gear when it was. Never found a need for lockers if you also didn't need low gear................

·
Registered
19 Posts
Full Of Mud
Must Of Had A Bad One
I Play In The Mud Not Water Have Had 2 08 650 & 2 10 700s My 700 Has Over 1000 Miles With 28 MST & Have Had NP With Dif Lock
My 08 Had ///Airdam Love To Them With NP With 28s On Mine So IMO The Difs Are Fine​
Possibly a bad one, although the diff that’s in it now is a very low mileage diff, and still no reliable diff lock. (will lock most of the time, but as soon as load is put on it, it kicks out of lock)
The axle needs to be replaced, because the teeth are warn from popping in and out of lock.
I'm pretty sure a new axle will fix it, everything in the diff is tight for now, unless the teeth in the diff lock have worn enough in the last few outings to need replacing. The bearings in the old one were pretty sloppy. (around 1000 miles)
I'll be the first one to admit, most of the miles I put on, are deep woods trails and crawling over and under stuff and Its hard on gear.

Tires were 27" XTR's until I got tired of replacing them due to the soft sidewalls. Then 30" xxl Mudlights....no more tire problems, but I couldn't afford the constant driveline breakage.
Now I have awesome 28" Outlaw Radials, all was good in toy land, then, turn the key and knock knock... I need another new engine. grrrrrr :confused:

My '06 Prowler has 6,000 miles on it. The diff lock still works just fine......just stating the fact. I have never run it engaged for miles and miles, nor at any high speeds. Engage it to crawl over, or pull through .....then disengage.
Thats exactly how I use mine, err used mine, to get out of a jam then back to three wheel drive...
Wow 6000 miles. Is your Prowler stock? Tires?
Thats impressive, good for you. :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same here. Never had a problem with my front diff locking or staying locked on my Prowler 1000. And it had plenty of power. I never went fast with it locked, but I was usually in low gear when it was. Never found a need for lockers if you also didn't need low gear................
Maybe Im too hard on it, and its just ME... ;)
I have always had full sized Ford Bronco's to play in the mud, but I was trying to be a more responsible human being and decided to go the side x side route and get closer to nature. Plus the tree huggers are making it almost impossible, in my area, to play in the woods with a road going vehicle.
I get closer to nature all right....when I walk miles in the woods to get my busted Prowler towed out....... :eek:
I'll stop now....I think the last tow out of the brush by my nefew's Brute force is still a little close to the surface. Time will dull the pain.
Or a new Wildcat..... :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sorry to say this is a theme I have heard from many prowler owners.

I'm surprised it works as well as it does, to me the design looks like it should be in a powerwheels toy or something.
Not in a 1700 pound off roader??
This is probably not the place to vent about this.

Wildman
Locking Front Diff
Can anyone tell me more about this? How does it work? Does it have a speed limit for operation? Are there any issues with it? Any known weakness?
I hope this is in the right area​
Just thought I'd share my experiences. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mnstrcat,
I think this is the place to vent this stuff. I would like to know if there MIGHT be issues with parts of the drivetrain. As they say only time will tell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts