Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am looking at buying a Wildcat 1000 used. I've been reading the forums and see the various issues especially the oil leaks. My question is... Is there a year that Arctic Cat/Textron figured out the bulk of the issues especially with the oil leaks? I've seen several listed from 2014 with a valve cover leak to a 2016 at a dealer and am just curious.

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Judging from your avatar pic, we share similar backgrounds, though my racing was done on road courses instead of ovals. I did everything on my race car except major engine overhauls (the class was too competitive to not have a pro-built motor). Still, I had to learn a few things when dealing with our '15 X Ltd, which was my first venture into off-roading.
  • ANY fastener that does not thread into a locking nut must be re-assembled with thread locker.
  • Any sealing surface, with or without a gasket, needs to be perfectly clean and re-sealed. No cutting corners.
  • The perfect torque for an automotive spin-on oil filter is maybe half of the torque necessary to keep the filter on an X. The K&N filters with nuts on the end are a god-send.
The H2 engine used in the 1000 or X has a lot of parts that can leak oil (the case consists of three castings), and at times it felt like putting socks on an octopus. I absolutely HATE oil leaks, so the first year we owned our X was a little rocky. Once I learned the above lessons, I was much happier.

I wasn't around when the 1000 was new. From reading the forum over the past three years, I gather that 14's and newer had fewer issues.

Reactions: izom

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
...the best years where 16-'18 - the 2 last production years had ALL the updates !!

- as said- before you have to put in some work- maybe...;-)

·
Registered
51 Posts
After I bought my 2018 X LTD and joined this forum, I was apprehensive but I haven’t experienced any oil leaks or other issues except gas being pushed out the vent tube. I have ridden it hard and it’s been reliable (fingers crossed)! In addition to the advice above, I would cover EVERY exposed electrical connection with dielectric grease!
I’m storing it in my garage where I can work on it all winter to add accessories rather than repairs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

If I would pull the trigger on the one that has a valve cover leak... Should it be as simple as pulling the valve cover cleaning the surface and resealing? I didn't see anyone else with valve cover leaks in my quick search.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think there is a o ring on valve covers

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Depends on what you consider valve covers. The little covers that give you access to adjust the valves have an o-ring. Many people would call the top half of the cylinder head the valve cover. That seam is a machined surface that has to be cleaned and sealed with RTV, after which you will need to check/set valve lash.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yes you are right

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2018 wildcat x, only problem I am having is the gas being pushed out the vent hose, my steering is getting a little slack and in a bind, and the other major issue is that my dealership that I bought it from was 10 miles away, went out of business, nearest dealership is almost 3hrs away...damn

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hear ya’, Beanpoll! I got the gas-out-the-vent problem and the far away dealer! Luckily the dealer is on the way to my trailer so I can still drop in. My shifter is sticky in Park but I’m hoping to diagnose and fix that this winter! Otherwise, my 2018 WC X LTD has been great and reliable!

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
A simple and cheap band-aid for the gas-out-the-vent issue is to mount an in-line gas filter somewhere in the "up-hill" portion of the vent hose. It doesn't fix the root cause, but the volume of gas that has to be pushed up the vent hose before you smell it is increased dramatically.

Reactions: J Paul

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I am looking at buying a Wildcat 1000 used. I've been reading the forums and see the various issues especially the oil leaks. My question is... Is there a year that Arctic Cat/Textron figured out the bulk of the issues especially with the oil leaks? I've seen several listed from 2014 with a valve cover leak to a 2016 at a dealer and am just curious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts