Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey total newbie here. I have an old mule 550 and have driven a few old gators...that is the extent to my experience with uyv/sxs these are whole beasts. I did a lot of reading and it sounds like 700 trail xt being more light and nimble for trails (as opposed to the typical 800 or 900 rzr) is the perfect fit for me to take my young daughter for fun time together. I've found a 2015 says 121 hrs and 975 miles asking $5999. I've read on here some about various issues but sounds like either recall covered work or relatively small dollar amounts and some sweat can make this thing a fantastic machine. I don't have tons of money to burn at all this would be a big expenditure for me, but planning to sell my dirtbikes to fund it since they are not practical for several years as would be a "solo" event. So wanting some realistic feedback about that price and expected upkeep. I plan to go to Durham Town in GA to play but nothing crazy for now...again young daughter with me. Appreciate the help. I know from previous experience with motorcycles that these kind of forums are where to find quality people willing to help a guy out. If I get one, plan to be active with group -help if I can- and maybe do group meet-ups if yall do that kind of thing.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have two 2015's and they have been relatively trouble free, have never left me stranded, and are a blast to ride. The modifications I have done to improve the machine are not expensive and are fairly easy if you can turn a wrench. There's a lot of write ups on here on modifications and what to do. Now accessories is a different story. You can spend a ton of money on accessories.

Look the machine over really well. Look for bent frame tubes, cracks in the welds at the joints, and cracked plastics. Check the steering to see if it's tight or if there's a lot of slop. If you can, jack up the front and rear and check the bushings on the A arms and the bearings on each wheel. You should be able to call a dealer, give them the VIN and verify all recalls have been performed.

Any recreational vehicle like this could be a great machine or it could be a money pit (look at @TubecatGS's recent posts. I feel sorry for the guy.). The only major mechanical issue I had was on my wife's machine where the seal for the water pump failed. It wasn't hard to change, but very time consuming. My other machine appears to be starting to use a little oil now. Not sure what's up with that. Every year I change the oil & filter, grease the wheel bearings, grease the carrier bearing, and check the spark plugs. Every other year (if not needed sooner), I do transaxle fluid, inspect the valves, and take care of anything else I can see that needs attention.

·
Registered
2016 wildcat sport xt
78 Posts
I have a 16 sport and love it. Only issue i ran into was fan guard at radiator chaffed and eventually caused a leak replaced radiator and addressed rubbing issue. 1400 miles and no other issues. The 15 has a lot of room to upgrade performance! 16 made some changes that are available for 15 models. My wife and i plan on going out to durhamtown this spring or summer as well with our oldest daughter and her husband. I can speak for the 16 sport and say that a stock setup against a stock rzr 900 wildcat wins acceleration and top speed. Check the things wired was saying and i always have checked pre filter at drivers door as well as air filter at rear just to see what kinda person the owner was. If those are dirty as all hell they may not have payed attention to issues. Just a thought.

Reactions: Thesaint2004

·
Registered
120 Posts
It looks good in the photo. I don't have the patience to polish mine up like that!

You might want to ask the owner if he's had the shocks rebuilt. I have a '14, and I sent the shocks in a year ago to get rebuilt. They still worked pretty good, but sending them in and getting them freshened up made them work even better. I had The Shock Shop in Minnesota do mine. It was around $40 a shock and he did a quick turn-around on them.

It's looks like it's pretty well accessorized now (bumpers, door fillers, windshield, etc.). It looks like it has Maxxix Bighorn tires tires on it. I have those on mine and I love them. It has to be really nasty going before I even need 4wd.

The only other thing I would suggest is a Speedwerx secondary spring if it doesn't have one already. They're around $30 and makes the machine more trail friendly, especially on downhill sections.

I bought mine in 2015. It was a '14 leftover so I got a good deal on it. I wouldn't trade it for anything else - period! We ride on mostly tight, twisty trails. The guys I ride with all have full size machines. Places they struggle to get through I can wheel right through without a hitch.

I live in an area where Polaris is king (No idea why?! LOL!), but anyone that's driven or rode in my Wildcat Trail all say they're really impressed with it. I think you and your daughter will really enjoy this machine!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah don't do what I did and buy at night in the dark :)... a lot of great feedback here, taking my time tearing mine apart and going through almost every nut and bolt... like anything else parts can add up quick.. I anticipate it being an awesome machine and can't wait to get on the trails with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts