Wildcat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I ever seen a oil filter come loose when riding, especially after riding for a couple months. Just goes to show you have to check Everything before going out. Well it happened to me while flying through the ditches, I lost power abruptly in the thick sand and thought it was soft soft sand initially but 500 feet later It just came to a stop. I knew I was in trouble, thought I popped another belt but got out and it was much worse oil everywhere it shouldn't be. Once put more oil back in --All kind of clinging kinda sounds mostly top end. At this point I am furious,:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

OK so my scenario is do I by a reman engine about 4k obviously no cash for that.
pull it apart and maybe get lucky and it is only top end like this would be cheap.
pistons - re-ring and valves maybe cam or timing chain.

Or maybe try to think about the MUZZY big bore kit and charge it on the credit card.

My question is any one out there do the 999 big bore kit, I already have muzzy dual exhaust with the muzzy programmer with K&N filter for kinda heading in that direction. Looking for opinions
maybe does it heat up allot more or does it stay cool. what HP gains were seen any true dyno comparions. I think speed works has a big bore kit but not 999 only 1040 that I know of.

I am thinking of racing so staying under 1000cc is kinda important but not that important. So if the 1040 get 5 - 10HP more then 999 than it makes sense not to race and get the bigger jugs.

Or is the big bore kit not worth it which has been what I have been told by some and should I just rebuild back to stock and I am curious is this something that can be done in the home garage with no special OEM tools.

mine is the 2013.5 wildcat 1000x

any good opinions appreciated, I hope to start tare down this week. as well as saving my pennies I expect it to be down for a long while.
seems like I am the king or bad luck sometimes

Thanks all for any good advice

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would be more worried about the rest of the engine, not just the top end. Lack of oil pressure kills bottom ends quick because there is a tremendous amount of force on the rods and crank with only a thin pressurized layer of oil in between. It would just suck to see you invest all that money into a big bore kit only to realize you cashed the crank and rods.

Sounds like possibly a "cheap" engine is your best bet. I thought the X engine was ~2800 recently? Maybe MLS can cut you a deal ;)

·
Administrator
27,995 Posts
Has not been the first reported oil filter loosening up, probably won't be the last. I recommend a K & N 621 oil filter from now on. I second what Arizonacrawler has said. As far as the king of bad luck, nah, not a chance.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I would be more worried about the rest of the engine, not just the top end. Lack of oil pressure kills bottom ends quick because there is a tremendous amount of force on the rods and crank with only a thin pressurized layer of oil in between. It would just suck to see you invest all that money into a big bore kit only to realize you cashed the crank and rods.

Sounds like possibly a "cheap" engine is your best bet. I thought the X engine was ~2800 recently? Maybe MLS can cut you a deal ;)
WhiteX, AC did lower the price to 2800 for about a week (that is when I purchased my X motor) but then they raised it again. I do agree, I would change the whole motor knowing that it was run with no oil / pressure. There is probably nothing internally good, plus probably metal shavings everywhere.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Before you plunk down a chunk of cash on a new engine from AC, it might be worth a call to Pace Off-road to see if they have any new or lightly used ones available from a Z1 conversion.

RLW

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
^^^^^ Hate to admit it, but he's a very smart psychopath!!!

Reactions: Phydeaux

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Technically, they're the same. So,,,,you're actually both!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I thought someone here on the forums said there was a low oil engine cutoff switch. If you're very lucky, maybe it just turned off. Put oil and see.
My Honda generator has a low oil shutdown switch to protect it. Not a breakthrough in technology or anything.
Hope so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before you plunk down a chunk of cash on a new engine from AC, it might be worth a call to Pace Off-road to see if they have any new or lightly used ones available from a Z1 conversion.

RLW
any chance you have his contact info
I keep coming up with
[h=1]AWESOMEOFFROAD.COM[/h]1030 Paris Pike, Georgetown, KY 40324
(502) 863-0920

[email protected]
M-F 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sat 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Sun Closed

Is that it
Thanks for the info. IO yanked most apart looked under rear valve cover and looked some what normal I guess. while pulling back wall nujts out seat belt Nut broke on back side that hold buckle in place, so calling it a night and will continue tomorroe.

Thanks guys for the information.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I feel your pain! Last fall mine did the same thing. Filter came loose, thought it was belt, but boy was I wrong. Speedwerx is about 4 hours from me so I brought it to them. For not much more than a new motor I had a better than new repaired motor. They went through the whole thing piece by piece and fixed everything better than before. They bored the cylinders out and put in their 1100 kit. My x has never ran better and I couldn't be happier. But if that's not an option you could call pace and see if they can get you a take out motor from someone's swap

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had tons of other stuff that went out along with top end. Here's a list of just what they would have to do to return back to stock

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I had tons of other stuff that went out along with top end. Here's a list of just what they would have to do to return back to stock
And then.... you got a motor that leaves a smile on your face haha.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If I were you, I would just get a factory replacement short block. You would get the updated, stronger primary clutch and the updated belt as well. I have a new factory X motor in my 2013.5 cat and it has never run this good. I think it has something to do with the updated belt. It sucks to spend a few grand, but you get the whole motor with zero miles, brand new

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
If I were you, I would just get a factory replacement short block. You would get the updated, stronger primary clutch and the updated belt as well. I have a new factory X motor in my 2013.5 cat and it has never run this good. I think it has something to do with the updated belt. It sucks to spend a few grand, but you get the whole motor with zero miles, brand new
I second it, my new motor rips....for real...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts