Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Wildcat 1000x (or whatever they call it - too many model names). I was replacing the left lower a-arm and noticed a lot of movement in the connection between the ball joint at the end of the tie rod and where it connects to the steering. The ball joint itself doesn't seem to have excessive play, but where the ball joint connects to the steering mechanism does. I noticed the bolt was not much more than finger tight after I removed the cotter key. I think torque spec is 40 ft/lbs. Here's a short video I made to illustrate.
Can this be corrected by simply tightening the bolts, or would I need to replace either the ball joint or the steering unit or both?

Thanks for advice!

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
It appears it's been loose for so long it egged out the mounting hole in the steering slider. You can torque nut and see if it's all tight, but a new steering slider (at least) might need replacing, as that's aluminum and tie rod end shank is steel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey ARG. Thanks for that. I wonder if the slider is a replaceable component, or I would need to get the whole unit. I'll try and find parts if I can't get it to tighten up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd tighten it and call it a day. You only noticed cause you were down there changing an A arm. The feeling at the wheel wasn't bad enough for you to go looking for slop in the steering system, then this is easy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like easy. I saw an aftermarket piece by MLS for about $500, so I'm liking the tighten it up not just because it's easy (but free). :eek:) Thanks 671TM!

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I would try to get some JB Weld into the hole, clean the JB off the exposed threads, tighten the nut and see how it holds up.

I would not buy a new slider under any circumstances - the 715 Wildcat steering kit replaces the rack and the slider. Much simpler design, with less stuff to wear out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good point. Don't spend a nickel on the stock AC stuff. It will not last and it's spendy. +1 on 715 steering replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts