Wildcat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I just purchased my first wildcat x its a 2018 limited. I was driving about 50mph down a dirt road when I heard a loud clunking noise so I came to a stop. When I started driving again it did it again and now it won't move in high or reverse without making a horrendous noice. When jacked up and put in all gears no noise comes from drive shaft. Any ideas? I removed the clutch cover and the belt appears to be okay but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Cody

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
possibly the SLD, snap load dampner I believe.. its in the front of the rear diff..

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The SLD (Spike Load Dampener?) "slips" with a loud "crack" under heavy load. It is designed to protect the weaker drive train components (Rear Diff) from that same heavy load.If the SLD is slipping, the cat should still drive fine. Some people pull the rear diff (the SLD is in it) and weld it so it won't slip. Instructions for this are in the forum.
Of course, make sure it is the SLD making the noise. If there is a constant noise... popping/grinding, then the rear diff might need a rebuild (common issue). If it is the SLD and you want to weld it, you should rebuild the rear diff anyway. Parts cost is under $100 and it takes an easy afternoon and lower level mechanical skills. There is instruction for this on the forum as well.

Reactions: izom

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SLD (Spike Load Dampener?) "slips" with a loud "crack" under heavy load. It is designed to protect the weaker drive train components (Rear Diff) from that same heavy load.If the SLD is slipping, the cat should still drive fine. Some people pull the rear diff (the SLD is in it) and weld it so it won't slip. Instructions for this are in the forum.
Of course, make sure it is the SLD making the noise. If there is a constant noise... popping/grinding, then the rear diff might need a rebuild (common issue). If it is the SLD and you want to weld it, you should rebuild the rear diff anyway. Parts cost is under $100 and it takes an easy afternoon and lower level mechanical skills. There is instruction for this on the forum as well.
Thank you so much, I pulled my differential back and my coupler is in good shape but the spring on the female side that connects to the engine shaft is all collapsed and bent. I removed the coupler and inspected the differential to find the spines where the coupler mates with are wore down. Is that the actual pinion gear? I then pulled the plug and found a good amount of metal on it a good amount of metalic color in the fluid. I cant seem to find ring and pinions for sale anywhere for the wildcat. I attached some pictures, thank you so much for the help. This is my first wildcat and I just bought it used.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts